Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you work full-time? What are your standard hours?

How many hours do you work per week (officially)?

• 40 hours per week

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • 35 hours per week

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I work full time but my hours are not 40 or 35 hours per week

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • I don't work full-time but I want to join in

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters
45 officially with 5 hours for lunch break

but work a rotational shift pattern and job done when it dones some day so can be more

37.5 hours per week - 8.30-5 daily with an unpaid hour for lunch (which I rarely actually stop for).
I should have added that I'm on a 42 week contract which means I don't get paid for college holidays and those 42 weeks of pay are spread over 52 weeks (paid monthly). I'm on a mighty £600-odd quid a year above minimum wage, which considering what I do is a fucking outrage

Minus unpaid half hour lunch 40hours, plus overtime, usually with no notice. Most overtime i clocked in a week was about 18hours i think.

Contracted hours 36 a week , whether I actually do them is another question 😅 tbf , sometimes I do more , sometimes less , monitoring is a little weak 🤔

Self employed, aim for 4 days but usually around 30 hrs. It's heavy work and I'm not 21 anymore.

When previously employed, I'd always push for a 4 day week but that would mean 45hrs over the 4.

35 is more than enough time to give away. Life is more important than work. But I'm pretty frugal, so.

I work 4 days a week but it is 34 hours with an unpaid half hour lunch break.

Do get two tea breaks a day which are part of the 34 that are paid though.

I'm supposed to work 37.5 hours but always work more than that. We don't have official flexitime but I usually manage to get some time back.
I should have added that I'm on a 42 week contract which means I don't get paid for college holidays and those 42 weeks of pay are spread over 52 weeks (paid monthly). I'm on a mighty £600-odd quid a year above minimum wage, which considering what I do is a fucking outrage
This is why Mrs B doesn't work in a school any more :(

8-5 mondays, 8-4 tuesday to friday. I get breaks but I work through them because the alternative is staying later to catch up.

I get 5 weeks' worth of holiday pay to cover the 13 weeks when I'm not working. My hourly wage for this job, which I needed a year's postgraduate training and 9,000 in tuition fees to get, works out slightly less than I used to get for a job I only had four days' training for. After two years of teaching full time I still have to do two more years before I get the 'starting salary'.

I generally start about 8 and finish between 4 and 4.30, so I can collect my daughters from the school bus stop a mile away at about 4.30

My official hours are 9-5.30 . About 18 months ago, we were told that anyone who wants to wfh had to put in a formal request for it. I did that and asked at the same time to change my hours. I never had any reply at all so I just did what I was doing anyway

My line manager is pretty damn good when it comes to time tbf; I had to leave a couple of hours early twice this week but there was never any suggestion of making the time up - she knows I start work as soon as I get in each morning (about 30 mins early), work a lot of lunchtimes but also get off five mins early daily to catch the bus. She did the same job as me before her promotion and she's never forgotten that without that trust you simply lose people.

Problem is all the people*above* her - and there are many. In fact there are five layers of management above her in the organisation. Only the people at my level below her.

40 and has been for years.

When I first started work in London mid-90s, 35 hours was standard in the private sector due to the extra travelling time associated with living in London.

Then I worked outside London and it was 37.5. Next time I worked in London it had mysteriously suddenly become 40. :confused: 😢

I noticed this too. I specifically remember thinking fuck that and only going for only 35 h/w jobs.

37.5 hours has always been the standard NHS week for the over 20 years I've worked for them.

This looks to be quite common amongst urban's public service/NHS. Too late to include in my poll as a specific category but I'm guessing seeing the answers on the thread many of the third option votes will be this.

This looks to be quite common amongst urban's public service/NHS. Too late to include in my poll as a specific category but I'm guessing seeing the answers on the thread many of the third option votes will be this.

I think it's pretty common in any job that has you work 8 hours a day but doesn't include your statutory 15 min breaks in your working hours. My schedule is actually 9 and a half hours a day, but the contracted hours don't include an hour for lunch or half an hour for two breaks.

TBF at least we are encouraged to take those breaks and genuinely not expected to work through them. And they're brilliant about time off for medical appts and generally being somewhat flexible within reason, which is why it was kinda hard to remember exactly how many hours I'm contracted for.

Have to say I love having the opportunity to be able to start / finish early if I choose, though I’m usually to lazy to get out of bed in time. And great to accrue flexi and exchange for additional days off, though I tend to do it as overtime for the extra bunce. The only snag is that we are expected to utilise flexi for doctors / dentist etc but you can’t have everything.

According to our work tracker I average 42 hours worked per week over the last year or so.

Back
Top Bottom