Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would you tell your senior management that you were applying for a job?

That’s terrible. I think I’d want to escalate that. Cheeky cunts.
I agree.

Has anyone actually taken the trouble to explain why they think you should have behaved differently to how you actually behaved polly ?

Are you in a union? If so, I'd be thinking seriously about bringing this to their attention.

That’s terrible. I think I’d want to escalate that. Cheeky cunts.

His manager is the head honcho and I'm pretty sure he feels the same way. I just laughed and ignored it - the worst punishment is surely being these people. They're currently having a really hard time holding onto anyone but the bullying is getting worse, as they have no ability to self reflect at all. Every internal application is treated by the other team as a rescue mission :D I got two PMs of support from my new team today, saying yess you've escaped. Everyone knows what they're like.

I agree.

Has anyone actually taken the trouble to explain why they think you should have behaved differently to how you actually behaved polly ?

Are you in a union? If so, I'd be thinking seriously about bringing this to their attention.

Yes - it is respectful to give managers some time to prepare for my departure. I know this is known everywhere else as 'the notice period'.

Yeah am in the GMB. I might do but it's well known and numerous grievances have been brought over the years, but they've come to nothing. Everyone's in each other's pockets.

Yes - it is respectful to give managers some time to prepare for my departure. I know this is known everywhere else as 'the notice period'.

Yeah am in the GMB. I might do but it's well known and numerous grievances have been brought over the years, but they've come to nothing. Everyone's in each other's pockets.

Sounds crap, but hopefully you're well out of it.

Good luck in the new role 👍

It's absolutely ridiculous that senior management think it's unprofessional for someone to apply for another job within their own organisation. Any half-decent firm realises that people want to move around / take experience of one role to another. It's actually a good thing for them but I've worked places that don't see it that way, too.

To escape my previous job I had to apply without letting anyone know. Reason being they were haemorrhaging staff and would've tried to stop it happening 'for business reasons' or whatever.

Fortunately I got the job but a mate of mine who applied elsewhere and didn't get it was told not to do it again. Really shortsighted but, yeah, it happens.

Anyhow, sounds like you're well shot of that section. Good luck in the new place. :)

I got an email from my manager's manager's manager today telling me how unprofessional and disrespectful my behaviour had been, but wishing me well in the new position, and that there were no hard feelings <smiley face>

Lol
We need a :rolleyes: reaction for exactly this kind of thing. (Mind you, the work frustrations thread for one would be wall to wall :rolleyes: reactions.)

To escape my previous job I had to apply without letting anyone know. Reason being they were haemorrhaging staff and would've tried to stop it happening 'for business reasons' or whatever.

Yes - this is exactly it. I suspect this why they're so angry - no control over the situation, no opportunity to have a word in the right ears. Glad you escaped too!

Yes. Do you have the option for an exit interview? (not with the wankers, obviously)

I think there might be a questionnaire. I'm going to reduce my bridges to ashes if that is the case :cool:

Wee bit of advice re managers generally. Make sure all meetings are minuted. If they aren't going to have a note taker, take your own notes, then after the meeting, write them up and send them to the other party for comment. That way you maintain a paper trail.

It got to the point with me, that if I said that something was so, it was accepted. One guy tried to argue, my manager intervened and asked if the guy thought he was going to win against someone with 14,000 (not a typo) archived E-mails. :)

One guy tried to argue, my manager intervened and asked if the guy thought he was going to win against someone with 14,000 (not a typo) archived E-mails. :)

although it's interesting how e-mails can meet with some sort of IT accident when the shit hits the fan. keeping printed copies / copying to personal e-mail (although make sure this isn't a breach of policy they can get you for) is sometimes a good idea...

Good lord they sound fucking insane.

You told your line manager. Anything after that is nowt to do with you.
In more traditional companies, you must nail a mea culpa and petition for let and sufferance written on vellum to headquarters main doors on St Tadger's Day, then stand there head bowed, groaning piteously and flogging yourself with a ring-binder until all passing staff have had a chance to hiss and tut at you, then a Senior Manager comes down to give you absolution and you can proceed to the application.

In more traditional companies, you must nail a mea culpa and petition for let and sufferance written on vellum to headquarters main doors on St Tadger's Day, then stand there head bowed, groaning piteously and flogging yourself with a ring-binder until all passing staff have had a chance to hiss and tut at you, then a Senior Manager comes down to give you absolution and you can proceed to the application.

🤣🤣🤣 Honestly they would love this

although it's interesting how e-mails can meet with some sort of IT accident when the shit hits the fan. keeping printed copies / copying to personal e-mail (although make sure this isn't a breach of policy they can get you for) is sometimes a good idea...
Written hardback notebook which can’t have pages ripped out of it, so not one of those reporters notebooks on two wires

What a bunch of twits you work for Polly

I once had a telling off from the head for applying for a job without informing her. Apparently this is a bit of school etiquette that no one tells you about. She pulled me into her office to tell me I was extremely rude and disrespectful. Anyway, she got sacked by the governors later that year :D

What a bunch of twits you work for Polly

I once had a telling off from the head for applying for a job without informing her. Apparently this is a bit of school etiquette that no one tells you about. She pulled me into her office to tell me I was extremely rude and disrespectful. Anyway, she got sacked by the governors later that year :D

What is wrong with these people?! They think they own us

Organisations that can't see the bigger picture do my head in.

If someone applies for a job in a different section, it's a good thing. They take the experience of working in their previous section with them. You get employees who have a broader view of how the organisation works; what pressures other sections experience, how your new job can help your old workmates' lives easier.

It's why better organisations welcome internal candidates moving around or taking up short-term secondments.

I've worked in places that are the polar opposite of all this, though, and judging by others on this thread, I'm hardly alone in this. Drives me nuts.

In case you're wondering, I once had to ditch a permanent contract for a temporary one in order to leave a dying section and move sideways. Management's reaction was similar to polly 's Yes, it was that bad working there and, yes, it was a risk well worth taking.

In case you're wondering, I once had to ditch a permanent contract for a temporary one in order to leave a dying section and move sideways. Management's reaction was similar to @polly 's Yes, it was that bad working there and, yes, it was a risk well worth taking.

Ha, this is almost the same as what I've done here, except it's a better job. Could've applied for a secondment but didn't want to give them any control over it at all. It's only a year's contract but I still feel it'll be worth it. (Shitting it slightly obvs. I'm glad it worked out for you!)

I got an email from my manager's manager's manager today telling me how unprofessional and disrespectful my behaviour had been, but wishing me well in the new position, and that there were no hard feelings <smiley face>

Lol
Twat.

It is neither unprofessional nor disrespectful, but that email certainly was. Feel free to tell them that on your last day.

It's only a year's contract but I still feel it'll be worth it. (Shitting it slightly obvs...)

I'm a bit out of practice with it all, but i'm pretty sure that length of service for things like redundancy pay is based on continuous employment with current employer, not time in current post with that employer, so would have thought you'd be eligible for redundancy or redeployment process at the end of the year.

likewise, i don't think that an internal move / promotion can be subject to a new probationary period.

is it the sort of year's contract that may be extended / made permanent depending on something like external funding?

have you discussed any of this with them? (i don't expect you to go in to detail on here if you'd rather not)

or is current role / team so bloody awful that you don't really care? and of course 'i left at the end of a temporary contract' is a better thing to be able to say to potential future employers than 'i quit in disgust because it was so bloody awful'...

hope it all goes well

I'm a bit out of practice with it all, but i'm pretty sure that length of service for things like redundancy pay is based on continuous employment with current employer, not time in current post with that employer, so would have thought you'd be eligible for redundancy or redeployment process at the end of the year.

likewise, i don't think that an internal move / promotion can be subject to a new probationary period.

is it the sort of year's contract that may be extended / made permanent depending on something like external funding?

have you discussed any of this with them? (i don't expect you to go in to detail on here if you'd rather not)

or is current role / team so bloody awful that you don't really care? and of course 'i left at the end of a temporary contract' is a better thing to be able to say to potential future employers than 'i quit in disgust because it was so bloody awful'...

hope it all goes well

Thanks for this!

I don't think I am eligible for redeployment etc, but will check.

It isn't 100% clear whether it can be extended or not, I suspect if I'm good enough they will find the money but if not it will be easier to get rid of me than if I was perm :D

It's a combination of a few things - better job and in direction I want to go career wise, plus current job's awfulness.

Back
Top Bottom