Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Expressions or requirements that put you off applying for a job

I once was a residential warden at a university and the OU summer school was always held there the week after the end of summer term.

Absolutely a fucking nightmare because those OU students like to act like our usual students by treating it like a week-long party, which is fine but not even my rowdiest students kept me awake every night till 4am for an entire week. Arseholes.
On the courses I was on, this was not usually a problem, but on one course there was some late-night rowdiness., which disturbed others. I was studying physics, and apparently physics students are usually well-behave, but on this occasion, some were not.

On the courses I was on, this was not usually a problem, but on one course there was some late-night rowdiness., which disturbed others. I was studying physics, and apparently physics students are usually well-behave, but on this occasion, some were not.
It was definitely either chemistry or physics as they needed access to a lot of lab space.

Reactions: PTK
A remote role with any of;

Full driving license required

No in office but need to visit clients in x area hundreds of miles away regularly.

No in office but requires travel to other countries

Requires one day in office in location 400 miles away. With public transport now so broken you can't even take the sleeper train even if not on strike.

No salary posted, varying job titles depending on which stage you are at on the application process

And lately, no bloody information at all about what the hell the actual job consists of, a job description, people involved, spend value or anything actually useful.

"Why do you want this job?"

"Look at me. I'm 53 years old and too old to retrain. I've got 30 years experience in this industry, a wife recovering from cancer, a 13 year old son and a 15 year old daughter who don't know how to turn off light switches. Let's not kid each other".

I literally got a message six hours later asking me how much I wanted a month for the contract.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I loved your post but I 100% fundamentally disagree with 53 being too old to retrain.

Fuck that.

I'm 60 and I still have worlds to conquer.
My dad was medically forced to retire around 60 and had done maybe 7 specialities in that time? Including more that were not officially recognised. I want a retirement and a shed to make shit in even fi thats not remotely what I am good at now lol. Like Martin Clunes (paraphrasing) I do fuck all do all day but take a bit of wood into a shop and at the end of the day, I have a smaller bit of wood" Thats progress.

Mainly the whole having to do boring shit for money thing. Worse of course if they dress it up as must have a passion for e.g. customer service excellence. My God what sort of dismal creature has a passion for customer service.

Last edited:
Mainly the whole having to do boring shit for money thing. Worse of course if they dress it up as must have a passion for e.g. customer service excellence. My God what sort dismal creature has a passion for custom service.

The kind of people who go on The Apprentice? :D

Mainly the whole having to do boring shit for money thing. Worse of course if they dress it up as must have a passion for e.g. customer service excellence. My God what sort of dismal creature has a passion for customer service.
:hmm::oops:

I've worked in lots of jobs that involved customer service and always figured that if my role involved serving customers, then I wanted to do that well, whether it was supporting grant applicants while working at a major funding body, helping them navigate the system/process, including suggesting how they could improve their applications or signposting them to alternative sources of funding, or serving people in other admin roles, or while working in hospitality and retail. 🤷

It bugs when I'm on the other end of the stick and staff don't give a shit.

:hmm::oops:

I've worked in lots of jobs that involved customer service and always figured that if my role involved serving customers, then I wanted to do that well, whether it was supporting grant applicants while working at a major funding body, helping them navigate the system/process, including suggesting how they could improve their applications or signposting them to alternative sources of funding, or serving people in other admin roles, or while working in hospitality and retail. 🤷

It bugs when I'm on the other end of the stick and staff don't give a shit.

My role has customer service aspects. I’m quite good at it if I do say. But I would never say I have a passion for it. The concept makes me want to vom. Embodies more than just being diligent and doing a good job. More than it’s your life blood your resin Detra… yuk

Back in 2001, I applied for an avionics position at Shannon Aerospace. At the interview I was getting grilled by five HR heads, and one of them was waffling shite about anything and everything. He said something along the lines of "At Shannon Aerospace, we don't ask you to think outside the box, because we don't believe there is a box. We expect people to use forward thinking and work on their own initiative, and because this is such an important and demanding role, we're looking for an applicant with the right mindset and the right skillset. In this regard, what would you be bringing to the Shannon Aerospace table?" I was sick of listening to him at this stage, so I replied with... "To be completely honest, I'm looking for a change of pace. I've decided to give my brain a rest, so I'm looking for something I could do with my eyes closed, and this seems like the perfect position. He seemed a bit shocked at my answer, but not as shocked as I was when I got called back for a second interview and got the job.
They were going to post the contract for me to sign the following week, and I was due to start the following month, but a few days later, two planes were flown into the twin towers, and instead of a contract I got a letter, stating that "due to circumstances beyond our control..." my services were no longer required.
It's the only time I've ever regretted not getting a job, especially so as I'd aced the interviews... :D

Recruitment agency for NHS job have sent me a whole pack for preparing for the interview, then want a pre interview with them on Friday. Standard company check stuff but then they are on about reading all this lot of linked profiles, 6 pages of how to x when y etc. The job description now says procurement lead, which seems slightly different from we need two procurements ran. The consultancy are now calling it a procurement associate role.

I'm honestly starting to lose interest as soon as this other one came up. Seems like I could do it very easily and get up and going quickly too. Plus not potentially get left on the bench after 10 weeks anyway and having to do this again. Other one is a massive multinational who aren't going anywhere. Not a consultancy who likely won't have anything very quickly and suddenly I'm unemployed again. I hate having that hanging over me.

Back in 2001, I applied for an avionics position at Shannon Aerospace. At the interview I was getting grilled by five HR heads, and one of them was waffling shite about anything and everything. He said something along the lines of "At Shannon Aerospace, we don't ask you to think outside the box, because we don't believe there is a box. We expect people to use forward thinking and work on their own initiative, and because this is such an important and demanding role, we're looking for an applicant with the right mindset and the right skillset. In this regard, what would you be bringing to the Shannon Aerospace table?" I was sick of listening to him at this stage, so I replied with... "To be completely honest, I'm looking for a change of pace. I've decided to give my brain a rest, so I'm looking for something I could do with my eyes closed, and this seems like the perfect position. He seemed a bit shocked at my answer, but not as shocked as I was when I got called back for a second interview and got the job.
They were going to post the contract for me to sign the following week, and I was due to start the following month, but a few days later, two planes were flown into the twin towers, and instead of a contract I got a letter, stating that "due to circumstances beyond our control..." my services were no longer required.
It's the only time I've ever regretted not getting a job, especially so as I'd aced the interviews... :D
I'd been wondering how to describe the job I'm looking for next.

I'm really fed up of doing the work of 2-4 people while being paid one salary, and am fed up of effectively doing more senior roles for the pay of junior staff.

So I'd been wondering how to politely say I'm fed up of being overworked and underpaid.

I'm not sure how it would fly with many other hirers though, isn't there a risk of them thinking I'm lazy and am unwilling to work hard?

Last edited:
Just had a call about another role I applied to, 3 days a week and pay that I would very much accept for 5 days. May be a sticking point on remote depending on what their definition of key meetings is but this was the sort of role I was looking at for maybe 10 years time when I had hit a high enough salary that I could drop to part time. Recruiter said he was putting 3 of us forward tomorrow but the others don't have remotely my experience. Cv-library is surprisingly effective it seems.

I'm really fed up of doing the work of 2-4 people while being paid one salary, and am fed up of effectively doing more senior roles for the pay of junior staff.

So I'd been wondering how to politely say I'm fed up of being overworked and underpaid.

I'm not sure how it would fly with many other hirers though, isn't there a risk of them thinking I'm lazy and am unwilling to work hard?
I probably wouldn't advise using my approach. I was kinda trying to not get the gig :D Although in days gone by, it did seem to be the case that the harder I tried to not get jobs, the more likely I was to get them. :hmm:

dunno really.

think the general consensus is to say why you want the job you're applying for, not why you want to leave current job.

it's rather like a first date. even if your ex was a massive twunt, it's better not to talk about it...

I'm on the other side of this at the moment helping a colleague recruit for a role. And it has to be said, most people are terrible at applying for jobs. About 20 applicants - over half ineligible either due to visa issues or that they simply don't meet the essential criteria at all. Of the remaining, there are three that, from a quick scan of their CV, likely have the exact skills and experience needed but have totally failed to address the frigging person spec in their responses in the application form. This is a piss easy online application system where you have a box to fill in under each person spec item. And people just put things like 'I did this in X job' without elaborating at all.

basically following the instructions will virtually guarantee you an interview if this particular process is any guide...

I'm on the other side of this at the moment helping a colleague recruit for a role. And it has to be said, most people are terrible at applying for jobs. About 20 applicants - over half ineligible either due to visa issues or that they simply don't meet the essential criteria at all. Of the remaining, there are three that, from a quick scan of their CV, likely have the exact skills and experience needed but have totally failed to address the frigging person spec in their responses in the application form. This is a piss easy online application system where you have a box to fill in under each person spec item. And people just put things like 'I did this in X job' without elaborating at all.

basically following the instructions will virtually guarantee you an interview if this particular process is any guide...
Completely agree. Some of the supporting statements are just laughable. You either get 1-2 sentences or copy and paste from job descriptions. I really can't be arsed to score these people.

I hate that sort of application with a passion. Please attach you CV, a cover letter and the restate half your CV and you cover letter filling in our form. Part of my job has involved redesigning our careers site and all the research we have been shown says that a from that askes you to fill match to job spec or answer questions massively increases the abandon rate.

I hate that sort of application with a passion. Please attach you CV, a cover letter and the restate half your CV and you cover letter filling in our form. Part of my job has involved redesigning our careers site and all the research we have been shown says that a from that askes you to fill match to job spec or answer questions massively increases the abandon rate.
I don't think ours even asks for a CV - it's optional. And yeah, I know many people don't like this approach to applying and would prefer just to bang their CV in.

But it's not the way most of the public / third sector recruits, and I think for good reasons, personally. But whatever you think of it, it's just pure arrogance or stupidity to ignore the system in front of you and do your own thing.

I don't think ours even asks for a CV - it's optional. And yeah, I know many people don't like this approach to applying and would prefer just to bang their CV in.

But it's not the way most of the public / third sector recruits, and I think for good reasons, personally. But whatever you think of it, it's just pure arrogance or stupidity to ignore the system in front of you and do your own thing.

I think a big problem is when it sucks in your CV then regurgitates it but breaks everything and makes it nonsensical and expects you to input it into the form.

Back
Top Bottom