Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mountbatten's role in '68 plot against Harold Wilson.

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
This makes for an interesting read.

ord Mountbatten came dangerously close to leading a cabal of industrialists, generals and tycoons plotting a coup against an elected Labour government, a new book reveals.

The 1968 plot was designed to replace Prime Minister Harold Wilson with a coalition government to bring the country together, during what Mountbatten and the conspirators regarded as a time of national crisis.

According to a new biography of Mountbatten, Prince Charles’s great uncle and mentor, it took the intervention of the Queen to persuade him to cut his ties with the plotters rather than acting against Wilson, his Cabinet and Parliament.

Revealed: Full extent of Lord Mountbatten's role in '68 plot against Harold Wilson (not behind their paywall)

WTF were they thinking?

difficult to tell if there is anything genuinely new here or just PR for the book for new generations of readers who don't know the back story that has been covered before by researchers like Robin Ramsey & Steven Dorril at Lobster magazine. My recollection of it was that he was roped in as a political figurehead by the active conspirators & was warned off the whole farago by the Queen Mother

difficult to tell if there is anything genuinely new here or just PR for the book for new generations of readers who don't know the back story that has been covered before by researchers like Robin Ramsey & Steven Dorril at Lobster magazine. My recollection of it was that he was roped in as a political figurehead by the active conspirators & was warned off the whole farago by the Queen Mother

I heard the majority of the officers they approached thought it was the booze talking.
And wanted nothing to do with it sober.

I heard the majority of the officers they approached thought it was the booze talking.
And wanted nothing to do with it sober.

The average officers mess would gleefully spend and evening planning a coup against corbyn over several bottles doesn't mean they'd contemplate it sober

This makes for an interesting read.

Revealed: Full extent of Lord Mountbatten's role in '68 plot against Harold Wilson (not behind their paywall)

WTF were they thinking?

Not much of a revelation really, there's a Guardian article here that is not pay walled

The day the Mirror's megalomaniac tried to launch a political coup

There is also an Adam Curtis documentary about this but I can't see it on YouTube.

The masterminds were the Chairman and editor of the Daily Mirror. They tried to recruit Tony Benn amongst others,w went straight to the Guardian.

As we currently have a charismatic young royal figurehead on the scene, just waiting for plotters to find Gina role, no doubt it'll soon be time to cry - "For England, Harry and Remain!"

Last edited:
Not much of a revelation really, there's a Guardian article here that is not pay walled

The day the Mirror's megalomaniac tried to launch a political coup https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/sep/16/daily-mirror-bbc?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

There is also an Adam Curtis documentary about this but I can't see it on YouTube.

The masterminds were the Chairman and editor of the Daily Mirror. They tried to recruit Tony Benn amongst others,w went straight to the Guardian.

As we currently have a charismatic young royal figurehead on the scene, just waiting for plotters to find Gina role, no doubt it'll soon be time to cry - "For England, Harry and Remain!"
Could you sort your link out?

The day the Mirror's megalomaniac tried to launch a political coup https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/sep/16/daily-mirror-bbc?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The day the Mirror's megalomaniac tried to launch a political coup

Other conspirators included David Stirling of SAS infamy, one of Pickman's model 's favourite fruit-loopers - Lady Jane Birdwood, sundry serving and former military brass, including Frank Kitson, and various aristos.

The lot of them should have been done for treason, but given their sentiments were echoed by the political and security establishment, bugger all happened.

These inbred privileged types are quite arrogant, aren't they? After fucking up the partition of India, which led to a million deaths, you'd think this twat would leave well alone. But no...

I read a couple of books a few years back that made me question whether Mountbatten "fucked up", or whether he made a ruthless calculated decision to implement Partition as quickly as possible, and damn the consequences.

‘Dickie, you’re so crooked that if you swallowed a nail you’d shit a corkscrew!’

Major General Sir Gerald Templer

I read a couple of books a few years back that made me question whether Mountbatten "fucked up", or whether he made a ruthless calculated decision to implement Partition as quickly as possible, and damn the consequences.

Getting it done and over with was the name of the game for setting up colonies so I'm sure he absolutely didn't give a fuck about long term issues post withdrawal*.

*Of colonies, we know aristos are all about post withdrawal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom