Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

Another claim here at the start of the article that Abedi was personally cleared to go and fight in Libya but it seems to be based on the more general claims made in the FT and MiddleEastEye articles mentioned upthread.

Another claim here at the start of the article that Abedi was personally cleared to go and fight in Libya but it seems to be based on the more general claims made in the FT and MiddleEastEye articles mentioned upthread.
Words like presided over and facilitated suggest this is nothing specific enough to trouble May this side of the election. To even give the story legs would probably take something like Andy Burnham making a speech challenging her explicitly. However that's not the way to think about it. It does though get to the heart of government's willingness to play the game of 'good jihad/bad jihadi' - and the consequences of that.

Foreign Enlistment Act 1870. It's true that they are unlikely to be prosecuted in that case. But Abedi is supposed to have enlisted with a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Nope doesn't apply. It only applies if you're joining a military that's fighting a country at peace with the UK.

with the abedi/libya trip it does get me wondering, same as moazzam begg, if the security forces aren't happy to have what they consider to be disposable/denial assets/sources of info in these places. Is that too tinfoil?

with the abedi/libya trip it does get me wondering, same as moazzam begg, if the security forces aren't happy to have what they consider to be disposable/denial assets/sources of info in these places. Is that too tinfoil?

The FT piece went further than that, it said that they were actively using the British-Libyans as a counterweight to more secular members of the opposition to Gaddaffi.

Although a cynic may note it raises her profile somewhat.
Her profile was raised through no fault of her own. Many people who'd never heard of her have now. Including me. (My daughters are older than her core audience now, and have somewhat different tastes anyway).

I wouldn't have blamed her for never stepping back on a stage again. But she's doing so very quickly and back in Manchester. She's got my support.

It wasn't a daft point, you attacked her and her generosity.

Oh you're wanting to push this? Well let's be clear that it probably isn't her making the decisions rather than whichever corporation she's signed to. I wonder if it'll be televised.

And I attacked nobody. I said a cynic might conclude...

You are being crass as fuck. The only time i witnessed deadly violence was a complete shambles for weeks, jumped at slightest thing, useless ball of nerves, and you're going to carry on with the idea that she's only doing this cos a corporation told her to, bollocks. Unnecessary.

You are being crass as fuck. The only time i witnesses deadly violence was a complete shambles for weeks, jumped at slightest thing, useless ball of nerves, and you're going to carry on with the idea that she's only doing this cos a corporation told her to, bollocks. Unnecessary.

I backed away from it but cheers for dragging me back in.
And my comments are about the industry. Making it about her just feeds from the whole PR arm of it.

Back
Top Bottom