Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

I'll admit ignorance about her here. If she's an artist (prince, Amy winehouse) then fair dos. If she's a performer, then she's on a wage and has zero say over this stuff.
Not all artists are helpless pawns parading around at the whims of their record company, you know.

For you to keep on dismissing her in this manner is extremely patronising.

:facepalm: Are you drunk? She should shut up unless you personally approve of her music?

Maybe I am as you don't understand what I've written. I'd check if she has writing credits for her music as my starting point if I could be arsed, but I backed away from this posts ago before you and RC decided I should be held to account.

Not all artists are helpless pawns parading around at the whims of their record company, you know.

For you to keep on dismissing her in this manner is extremely patronising.

I know nothing about her which I admitted. But even Prince, who literally wrote every single song and instrument was at the mercy of EMI hence his name change and 'slave' antics.

Maybe I'm disillusioned because of Band Aid and Live Aid.
She clearly gives something of a fuck about a lot of issues.

At the age of ten Grande co-founded the South Florida youth singing group Kids Who Care, which performed for charitable fund-raising events and raised over $500,000 for charities in 2007 alone.[242] In 2009, as a member of the charitable organization Broadway in South Africa, Grande, along with her brother Frankie, performed and taught music and dance to children in Gugulethu, South Africa. After watching Blackfish, she urged fans to stop supporting SeaWorld and became a vegan.

She was featured, along with Bridgit Mendler and Kat Graham, in Seventeen magazine in a March 2013 public campaign to end online bullying called "Delete Digital Drama".[246] In September 2014, Grande participated at the charitable Stand Up to Cancer television program, performing the title track "My Everything" in dedication to her grandfather, who had died from cancer in July. Grande, who has adopted several rescue dogs as pets, promoted pet adoption and paid the adoption fees of 35 rescue dogs in connection with her concerts at Madison Square Garden in New York City and American Airlines Arena in Miami in March 2015. In 2016, she launched, with MAC Cosmetics, a line of lip shades called "Ariana Grande's MAC Viva Glam". All of the profits benefit people affected by HIV and AIDS.

In May 2015, Grande and Miley Cyrus performed a cover of Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" to raise awareness for Cyrus's Happy Hippie Foundation, which helps homeless and LGBT youths. The song was part of Cyrus's series of "Backyard Sessions" collaborations. In June 2015, Grande headlined the Dance On the Pier event, part of the LGBT Pride Week in New York City, In 2016, Grande joined Madonna to raise funds for orphaned children in Malawi.[255] Grande and Victoria Monét recorded a 2016 song, "Better Days", in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

I know nothing about her which I admitted. But even Prince, who literally wrote every single song and instrument was at the mercy of EMI hence his name change and 'slave' antics.
That's totally irrelevant. Oh and his contract was with Warners.

The fallout with Warner and the birth of Symbol (1993-1996)
In the buildup to the release of The Gold Experience, Prince and Warner were at loggerheads over both money and his music. He decided to take the battle public by appearing with the word “Slave” written on the side of his face. His argument was that he was signed to Warner and they, as a result, owned and controlled his name as well as any music released under that name. He changed his name to that of a symbol and was referred to, variously, as “Symbol”, “Squiggle” or “the Artist Formerly Known as Prince”. This coincided with George Michael’s ill-fated attempt to get out of his contract with Sony, which he had termed “professional slavery”, meaning the record labels had a serious PR battle on their hands that they could not afford to lose. Unable to break free completely, Prince fulfilled the terms of his contract with a rapid run of albums, some of which were regarded as a shameless purging of studio tapes and offcuts just to make up the numbers.

Maybe I am as you don't understand what I've written. I'd check if she has writing credits for her music as my starting point if I could be arsed, but I backed away from this posts ago before you and RC decided I should be held to account.
I haven't denied she does. I'm discussing the exploitative nature of the industry which people seem desperate to ignore.
Definitely not the right thread for discussing such matters.

She can be separated from the industry?
In this particular case and at this particular time in this particular thread: fuck yes. You have no idea about her relationship with her record company, so why are you cluelessly ruminating about it, in this thread, of all places? You've already said you know fuck all about the artist.

In this particular case and at this particular time in this particular thread: fuck yes. You have no idea about her relationship with her record company, so why are you cluelessly ruminating about it, in this thread, of all places? You've already said you know fuck all about the artist.

Given the nature of this site, I assumed to be given a fairer hearing over the exploitative nature of corporations over events - to promote products and make more money.
Maybe she works for a different one than all the others.

Just remembered that one of the band members in 'Eagles Of Death Metal' (the Balaclan attack concert) decided to respond by ranting on Fox news about how it was a false flag and jews probably done it, or something. But you know, why not post shitty comments about someone who responds by doing a benefit gig instead.

Maybe the record company could just take a million quid out of their coffers and give it to the victims and families without fanfare.
But then, what's in it for them?

Given the nature of this site, I assumed to be given a fairer hearing over the exploitative nature of corporations over events - to promote products and make more money.
Maybe she works for a different one than all the others.
Maybe the record company could just take a million quid out of their coffers and give it to the victims and families without fanfare.
But then, what's in it for them?
Why not attend some of the children's funerals and voice your concerns, with a 'FUCK THE RECORD INDUSTRY' banner held proudly aloft. I'm sure it would be deemed equally appropriate.

True. And arguably she has done anything but benefited given she's now cancelled a tour.

She's really in a no win situation. If she gives a benefit concert, she's exploiting it, if she doesn't, then the media piles on with "she's a selfish shit who doesn't care, as Piers Morgan claimed (Yes, I know .... Daily Mail, etc.).

Last edited:
I don't mean actually employed or even recruited perhaps, but traceable, can be leaned on etc...

Yes, they can definitely be leaned on, or asked to give a de-brief on what they know/have seen. Whether they will be (leaned on/interviewed) depends on how useful the info they might have might be, and probably how busy the security services and friends are.

Will definitely be trying to get tickets when they go on sale tomorrow morning - £40 each which is pretty reasonable considering

The sect known as 'Wahabbism or Salafism'? Fuck off John. This isn't Vietnam.

Not sure what your point is. Certainly it's ok to call Wahabbism / Salafism "sects". Quite why we are backing the spiritual home of those sects and allowing islamic extremists in and out our country to carry out massacres - well I aint so sure about that. It's different from Vietnam in many regards.

Back
Top Bottom