Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

The God of Mohammed is the God of Abraham. So not alien to these fair isles in fact.
The thing is, in the past Britain already went through that battle to separate church and state. I don't want a new theocracy that I have to doff my hat to. Islam may claim Allah is the Jewish God but I don't know of many Christians or Jews feel the same way. Anyway, my heritage is life of Brian and irreverent humour. Not creeping around Islam for fear of offending and risking getting my throat cut.

The thing is, in the past Britain already went through that battle to separate church and state
well we must have lost then given there is no formal separation between church and state here and a man in a funny hat called the archbishop of canterbury usually gives out the crowns to the queens/kings who are literally the head of state and of the state religion, CofE. You daftie

Indeed. Try France :thumbs:
or america. Discussed this with ma- religion may be formally tied with the state here but the society as a whole is not massively churchy imo- yet in america where it is formally seperate from the state, well. It plays more of an influence on politics than it does here imo. Not sure what to make of that

Oh yeah. The jews of Massada topped themselves (and their wives and children) heroically rather than be subject to the Romans, and got to be Zionist heroes. Not sure how they square that circle.:hmm:

Most nationalist-Zionists don't give a wet fuck about violations of religious philosophy.

well we must have lost then given there is no formal separation between church and state here and a man in a funny hat called the archbishop of canterbury usually gives out the crowns to the queens/kings who are literally the head of state and of the state religion, CofE. You daftie
You are correct to be specific, it's a lovely thought to think of the Church of England and Isis in exactly the same category, beware the exploding C of E teacakes.

Doubledown You may be interested in travelling to america for the rally if you feel that you're in imminent danger of a Muslim theocracy taking over your sceptered isle. March Against Sharia -- March for Human Rights
View attachment 107883
Islam so depresses me, to me it makes Britain a more lonely and divided place. But I do think love and goodness can overcome all things. Everyone is doing the best for themselves their family and their community, it's all just life. And I know it doesn't help dwelling on the past, one just has to look on the positive side

Islam so depresses me, to me it makes Britain a more lonely and divided place. But I do think love and goodness can overcome all things. Everyone is doing the best for themselves their family and their community, it's all just life. And I know it doesn't help dwelling on the past, one just has to look on the positive side

I'm not one of these liberal people who is doing one of these no true Scotsman routines about Islamist terrorists, but some of the kindest, most community minded people I know are practising Muslims. The loneliness and atomisation that you are talking about has nothing to do with Muslims, the atomisation of communities is something that happens across the country and it occurs in places where there are no Muslims at all. I think that it is far more linked to the decline of collective institutions which includes but is not limited to religious groups, trade unions and football clubs, the ever increasing number of hours we week on average and technology.

I'm not one of these liberal people who is doing one of these no true Scotsman routines about Islamist terrorists, but some of the kindest, most community minded people I know are practising Muslims. The loneliness and atomisation that you are talking about has nothing to do with Muslims, the atomisation of communities is something that happens across the country and it occurs in places where there are no Muslims at all. I think that it is far more linked to the decline of collective institutions which includes but is not limited to religious groups, trade unions and football clubs, the ever increasing number of hours we week on average and technology.
He's not a real person j. Don't waste your time.

The demise of collective institutions like religious groups, yes that's where the problem lies.
Why do you do this? The point was about the context within which religious groups operate to the benefit of their members. The destruction of the context that led to people identifying as religious within a wider movement is left out of this disgusting smug glib commentary by you. And commentary is all it is.

ok, I'm disgusting smug and glib. More football clubs and more church it is that would help.

Why is this so black and white for you? I did not say a positive word about religious communities or football, although I have some things that are positive to say about the former and much more that is positive to say about the latter. Clearly there are very good things to say about the decline of religious communities in some ways, particularly for people whose idenities finds them at odds with those communities in some way. That wasn't brought up though, what was brought up was atomisation.

the religion is not the same as ideology in discussion

Yeah, but what community. The community of church / football not open to me for instance, not really. Local activism is though.

Regarding the latter, social enquiry to discover what the community is missing (a community centre, perhaps?) followed by a campaign for that thing involving the community. A good starting point?

Agree about atomisation, of course. But the craving for a sense of belonging is part of our condition now, and you have to think about what answers to that are any good and which are not.
Obviously Isis is an answer to that, that pain of not feeling part of anything meaningful , as are the gangs round where I live.

No, I agree. My point since the start is that it's not Islam that is the problem. It's people taking a scripture and twisting it to fit their own ends, getting angry kids to want to die for them because they desperately want to believe it's the right thing to do and god wants it.

I've also been admitting since the start that not only do I have no idea how to fix it, I'm not actually sure there is a way.

The thing is, in the past Britain already went through that battle to separate church and state. I don't want a new theocracy that I have to doff my hat to. Islam may claim Allah is the Jewish God but I don't know of many Christians or Jews feel the same way. Anyway, my heritage is life of Brian and irreverent humour. Not creeping around Islam for fear of offending and risking getting my throat cut.
Never noticed the bishops in the Lords then

Back
Top Bottom