Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man admits killing Rachel Nickell - Met apologises to Colin Stagg

Bahnhof Strasse

Met up with Hannah Courtoy a week next Tuesday
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7783796.stm
Broadmoor patient Robert Napper, 42, pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

But questions marks still hang over the original investigation and the missed opportunities to catch Napper, who went on to kill another young mother and her daughter.

Napper was questioned about Ms Nickell's killing in December 1995 but denied involvement.

He had been sent to Broadmoor secure hospital two months earlier for killing Samantha Bissett, 27, and her four-year-old daughter Jazmine in an attack in south London in November 1993.

In 1994, Colin Stagg from Roehampton, south-west London, went on trial for the murder but the case was thrown out after evidence from an undercover policewoman was ruled inadmissible.

Mr Stagg, 45, spent 13 months in custody. This year, he was awarded £706,000 compensation from the Home Office and the Metropolitan Police is expected to make a public apology to him later on Thursday.

Another fine job from the Met

The really annoying thing is while they were wasting their time persecuting Stagg it let him free to kill that other woman and child.

I lived on the same Roehampton Estate as Colin Stagg in 1994 when I was at college and his flat was constantly graffitied and vandalised to the point where it was boarded up. nice :(

I had a very telling conversation this summer with a DC from the met who told me that without doubt Stagg was guilty. When I asked how he knew this it was because some very senior officers very close to the case had told him. It just underlines the problems here, poor Colin Stagg he stood no chance.

Stagg had a very hard time on remand too. Not from fellow-inmates, as much as from self-appointed arbiters of justice on the Prison Service staff. :(

I had a very telling conversation this summer with a DC from the met who told me that without doubt Stagg was guilty. When I asked how he knew this it was because some very senior officers very close to the case had told him. It just underlines the problems here, poor Colin Stagg he stood no chance.

I had a similar convo with a CPS worker on the train the day after his acquittal. It was as if she believed because they believed the police then there should and could have been no doubt as to his guilt. I asked about evidence and the like, apparently not needed if it's so obvious. :confused:

Kind of pisses on the arguments of all those who support a return to capital punishment too - an innocent man would be dead by now.

Colin stagg was finally released of all guilt but it is very worrying on a day when a woman accused of killing a child was released after three years imprisonment.the law really does need to be seen to get its act together

No he wouldn't you fewl.

Indeed. It was one of those cases where the prosecution evidence was so flimsy the judge didn't even bother a jury with it.

While not a miscarriage of justice in the conventional sense (a wrongful conviction), it was a very clear indicator of the truth of the legal maxim that "justice delayed is justice denied". Mr Stagg spent 13 months on remand, which in itself was effectively a substantial punishment visited on a completely innocent man.

Remand has its place, but no case should take 13 months to bring to court.

Just watching something about it on the telly. The tabloids and their usual shite.

No he wouldn't you fewl.

Actually he probably would had he been convicted, at least if the death penalty system was being administered along the lines it was when hanging was in use.

In those days, the law only specified a minimum of three Sundays between sentencing and execution, so the worst case scenario was having between three and four weeks between the judge donning the black cap and the hangman walking through the cell door, and if the condemned inmate was in the condemned cell for more than one year and one day then the sentence would be automatically commuted.

The only other times a death sentence was ever commuted was on the order of the Home Secretary (which was likely to happen only if the jury and/or trial judge recommended mercy, and even many who had such a recommendation were still hanged, without such a recommendation the prisoner could safely be considered a 'dead man walking'), by direct petition to the King or Queen (never successful to my knowledge) or if enough exculpatory evidence could be mustered in the three or four weeks between sentencing and execution.
It was very rare for a condemned prisoner to be in the condemned cell for longer than six or seven weeks, and only then if they had an outstanding appeal that couldn't be dealt with within the three or four weeks usually set aside for such appeals.

The other option, and this only occurred in the case of John 'Babbacombe' Lee (known as 'The Man They Couldn't Hang') was if the gallows failed to work three times, in which event (and as a result of the bungled Lee hanging) the sentence was automatically commuted to one of life imprisonment.

You're probably thinking more along the lines of the American system, where a condemned inmate can be on Death Row for years or even decades between sentencing and execution.

Dpn't usually watch the fear inducing Crimewatch strand of programmes: but the programe tonight, 'Innocent' and the story of Colin Stagg, etc was truly truly shocking, I unlke some on here don't see the police as always wrong, but here the police involved in the Nickel case were a disgrace, and yes have blood on their hands, the 'honey trap' obscene and the tabloids, well, never has the soubriquet often used to describe it more apt, 'power without responsibility' and the arraogance of the Mirror journo, does he have no shame, british justice, I've shit it.

Actually he probably would had he been convicted, at least if the death penalty system was being administered along the lines it was when hanging was in use.

The time between sentencing and hanging doesn't have any effect on the liklihood of a conviction though. :confused:

You're probably thinking more along the lines of the American system, where a condemned inmate can be on Death Row for years or even decades between sentencing and execution.

No I'm not. Even in the US a man who is found not guilty doesn't get executed. Stagg was cleared by the court.

This case is about yet another massive failure by the Metropolitan Police. They could have had this fucker before he killed anyone. As it stands he killed Rachel, the filth convinced themselves it was Stagg and as a result another young woman and her child were murdered.

The police rubbed it in too after the judge threw the case out of court, by saying that they weren't looking for anybody else.

Sort of makes you wonder if those guys had a scrap of objectivity at all.

The time between sentencing and hanging doesn't have any effect on the liklihood of a conviction though. :confused:

No, it doesn't. I was just making the point, in response to the earlier post about pissing all over the pro-hanging lobby, that had he been convicted he'd almost certainly have been topped by now for something he didn't do.

No I'm not. Even in the US a man who is found not guilty doesn't get executed. Stagg was cleared by the court.

This case is about yet another massive failure by the Metropolitan Police. They could have had this fucker before he killed anyone. As it stands he killed Rachel, the filth convinced themselves it was Stagg and as a result another young woman and her child were murdered.

I was referring to an earlier post which, to be fair, I should have quoted as well.

What the cops missed in their incompetence is quite shocking and scary really.

• Napper's mother calls the police to say he has raped a woman. They fail to connect it to the knifepoint rape of a woman in her home eight weeks before.

• A neighbour tells police Napper matches the photofit of the Green Chain rapist. He fails to turn up to give a blood sample.

• Another member of the public tells police "Bob Napper" is the Green Chain rapist. He fails to turn up to give a blood sample.

• Detectives examine Napper in connection to the rapes and rule him out for being "too tall".

• Police search his home and find an A-Z map book marking points which correspond to sexual attacks, diaries describing ways to restrain people, and a gym card belonging to a young blonde woman slipped into the pages of a map. He is not pursued.

• Two boys find a tin box buried on a common in south-east London. Inside is a gun carrying Napper's fingerprints. He is not questioned.

• A member of the public spots Napper preying on a young blonde woman in her home. Police question him and let him go, noting he could be a rapist.

• A hunting knife buried 100 yards from where Nickell was murdered is conclusively linked to Napper. He is not questioned about it.

And yet, the Met has "ruled out further investigation of its catastrophic mistakes in the Rachel Nickell murder case. One of the country's most senior officers apologised yesterday for failures that left a serial rapist free. Robert Napper killed two young mothers and one of their children. Sixteen years after the murder of Nickell, 23, on Wimbledon Common, John Yates, the assistant commissioner of the Met, publicly expressed regret that officers in three major investigations missed opportunities to catch Napper, a paranoid schizophrenic and multiple rapist.

"There have already been several reviews and the lessons have been learned. It was 16 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then," he said.

I had a similar conversation with a lower level cop a year or so ago, when the compensation was given. This guy was a FOAF and was ranting about how criminals get the upper hand and how the Stagg case was proof that there is no justice cos everyone in the Met knew he was guilty and were just trying to keep a killer off the streets.

I hope I get to meet him again. Oh yes.

• Napper's mother calls the police to say he has raped a woman. They fail to connect it to the knifepoint rape of a woman in her home eight weeks before.

• A neighbour tells police Napper matches the photofit of the Green Chain rapist. He fails to turn up to give a blood sample.

• Another member of the public tells police "Bob Napper" is the Green Chain rapist. He fails to turn up to give a blood sample.

• Detectives examine Napper in connection to the rapes and rule him out for being "too tall".

• Police search his home and find an A-Z map book marking points which correspond to sexual attacks, diaries describing ways to restrain people, and a gym card belonging to a young blonde woman slipped into the pages of a map. He is not pursued.

• Two boys find a tin box buried on a common in south-east London. Inside is a gun carrying Napper's fingerprints. He is not questioned.

• A member of the public spots Napper preying on a young blonde woman in her home. Police question him and let him go, noting he could be a rapist.

• A hunting knife buried 100 yards from where Nickell was murdered is conclusively linked to Napper. He is not questioned about it.

And yet, the Met has "ruled out further investigation of its catastrophic mistakes in the Rachel Nickell murder case. One of the country's most senior officers apologised yesterday for failures that left a serial rapist free. Robert Napper killed two young mothers and one of their children. Sixteen years after the murder of Nickell, 23, on Wimbledon Common, John Yates, the assistant commissioner of the Met, publicly expressed regret that officers in three major investigations missed opportunities to catch Napper, a paranoid schizophrenic and multiple rapist.

"There have already been several reviews and the lessons have been learned. It was 16 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then," he said.

What.

The.

Fuck?

There's more evidence there than they tried to convict Stagg with.

There's no facepalm on teh planet big enough for this. :(

What.

The.

Fuck?

There's more evidence there than they tried to convict Stagg with.
Innit. And iirc, i think the news of the screws recently ran yet another feature basically fingering stagg and implying that he was somehow guilty. Can't imagine what that poor bloke went through cos of their determination to screw him, let alone Nickell's family reflecting on the sheer incompetence of the police investigation.

Daily Mail had an article on Stagg today, still quite nasty , going on about his new car, (the only thing he has bought with his compo) and the fact he wants to stay in the area he was brought up in and buy his flat.

Was Napper a freemason?

Back
Top Bottom