Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

rachel reeves: plagiarist

Rachel Reeves, so quick to condemn those she considers workshy, gets caught out copying her homework.

They're always weak fools, these hardliners. I suspect it's their own weakness and mediocrity they're really angry about. Then they just externalise that instead of dealing with it.

"Ideas improve. The meaning of words participates in the improvement. Plagiarism is necessary. Progress implies it. It embraces an author's phrase, makes use of his expressions, erases a false idea, and replaces it with the right idea." - Rachel Reeves, probably

Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.

View attachment 432153

From that article...
I laughed out loud at the section on what she (Reeves) learned from Rosa Luxemburg: that there should be a windfall tax on big oil and gas companies, and the tax loopholes used by non-doms and private equity should be closed. The Spartacist wouldn’t disagree with any of that but I’m not sure, when she said on the brink of death – “Tomorrow the revolution will rise up again, clashing its weapons and to your horror it will proclaim with trumpets blazing: I was, I am, I shall be!” – that she had tax on her mind.

Fucking hell. :(

Nandy:
There is a hopelessly confused section on populism, in which Podemos, a grassroots Spanish leftwing movement defined and set apart by its pluralism, is bagged together with the far right’s Marine Le Pen (because people like them?); and Jeremy Corbyn is a populist because he said “the media can be a little biased”, while the Daily Mail is populist because it called judges “enemies of the people”.

Cooper:
It’s an anthology of speeches, each with a short introduction, and it is politically anodyne, celebrating Thatcher for “self-belief and determination” (shame about the neoliberalism), and May for being “brave” (shame about the hostile environment).

These are not people on the same side as me.

Milliband actually sounds ok.

I don’t expect this rather sour individual will want to give out decent pay rises

The message over the last few years has been if you want the pay award the pay review body recommends it’s unfunded (edit or only partially funded) so cut something to pay it

With a Labour Party determined to stick to Tory spending / tax raising commitments all parliament it’s hopelessly naive to think this will change

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom