Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

male style icons

Maybe hoping's not always enough, though.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Do you think it's right that men risk being ridiculed if they wear anything even slightly outside a very rigid range of clothes & colours? Do you think this is ever going to change if some men don't take that risk?

FWIW I don't think Cobain looks like a comedy drag queen in that pic, he looks pretty relaxed & normal. It's all in your head.

Maybe hoping's not always enough, though.
Cobain wearing a dress was showing the finger to the macho bluster around in rock at the time. Him wearing a dress meant he felt secure enough in his masculinity that wearing a dress made him no less of a man. Men who think that a man embracing his feminine side is only fit to be laughed at, strike a little too much like they have something to prove.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Do you think it's right that men risk being ridiculed if they wear anything even slightly outside a very rigid range of clothes & colours? Do you think this is ever going to change if some men don't take that risk?

FWIW I don't think Cobain looks like a comedy drag queen in that pic, he looks pretty relaxed & normal. It's all in your head.
My take is it's not a subversive, challenging or even particularly worthwhile image, beyond being a reasonable photo. It's picture of a man looking slightly uncomfortable in a dress. There's nothing in it to tell you any other story.

Cobain wearing a dress was showing the finger to the macho bluster around in rock at the time. Him wearing a dress meant he felt secure enough in his masculinity that wearing a dress made him no less of a man. Men who think that a man embracing his feminine side is only fit to be laughed at, strike a little too much like they have something to prove.
At yet it's nothing Guns 'n' Roses wouldn't have done.

My take is it's not a subversive, challenging or even particularly worthwhile image, beyond being a reasonable photo. It's picture of a man looking slightly uncomfortable in a dress. There's nothing in it to tell you any other story.
Except to you - and for many other people, because the rank culture we live in pushes us towards thinking like this - he looks not just like a man looking slightly uncomfortable in a dress, he looks like a comedy drag mother-in-law character. You think there's nothing subversive or challenging or worthwhile about going up against that?

There's a great bit in the Sasha Geffen book, Glitter Up the Dark, which does a close reading of the In Bloom video:

Where Cobain wears a suit as a deliberate uncomfortable awkward comedy performance thing, and then appears as "genuine Kurt", relaxed natural whatever, in the dress.

A woman who dresses in an androgynous manner is not a male fashion icon, she's still female and she's a trendsetter for female style. Where is the point in suggesting to men to wear a man's suit, which is what they do anyway ? Her look is edgy on a woman, but not on a man, that's the point. Also, denying a woman her femininity for daring to take on some masculine attributes is dicey.
I don't want to be too argumentative, but:
gracejones.jpg

This look would absolutely look edgy on a man. Not least cos I can't think of many men I've seen just wearing a suit jacket with a bare chest underneath?

To turn this around, was Kurt Cobain a female style icon for having worn dresses?
Fwiw, I'm still trying to untangle what I feel about that Rowland Howard picture I posted above, gender-wise - to me, he kind of feels like a female style icon in that.

nothing wrong with a texas tuxedo, big fan here

Me too.

And I’ve pushed it to triple and even quadruple denim on occasion. Because why not.

Jeans, denim shirt, waistcoat, and jacket. With old stool studded belt, square toed cowboy boots and a leather military overcoat. With a chunky chain and loose silk scarf. Sometimes a burnt orange suede trench coat. I might go all out and wear a leather cowboy hat with it someday.

Last edited:
Me too.

And I’ve pushed it to triple and even quadruple denim on occasion. Because why not.

Jeans, denim shirt, waistcoat, and jacket. With old stool studded belt, square toed cowboy boots and a leather military overcoat. With a chunky chain and loose silk scarf. Sometimes a burnt orange suede trench coat. I might go all out and wear a leather cowboy hat with it someday.

That's power dressing! Bet no one wants to mess with you in that get up. Or at least they think twice. Consider a mustache to match.

I have been unable to find the right cowboy boots, so I try to take my denim in the direction of the redneck look (jeans + denim jacket with sleeves cut off, vest, ragged red knotted scarf, chunky chain bracelet, maybe baseball cap). Or just follow my dad...My sister complained about our father dressing like an "Eastern European dad visiting the West" in his double denim, and I see her point, but it's a good look. He likes jeans with denim jackets and I was recently gifted his old Wrangler jacket. It looks like new even after all the years (though it's very oversized and I have to fold back the sleeves).

That's power dressing! Bet no one wants to mess with you in that get up. Or at least they think twice. Consider a mustache to match.

I have been unable to find the right cowboy boots, so I try to take my denim in the direction of the redneck look (jeans + denim jacket with sleeves cut off, vest, ragged red knotted scarf, chunky chain bracelet, maybe baseball cap). Or just follow my dad...My sister complained about our father dressing like an "Eastern European dad visiting the West" in his double denim, and I see her point, but it's a good look. He likes jeans with denim jackets and I was recently gifted his old Wrangler jacket. It looks like new even after all the years (though it's very oversized and I have to fold back the sleeves).

The fold back sleeves plays to the working man/ redneck vibe so that’s okay, I reckon.

The right cowboy boots are a Goldilocks issue for sure. The only cowboy boots I’ll consider are square toed. I did have a pair of the winklepicker type but they annoyed me for a lot of reasons. I also have a pair of original Boy boots (bought at the original Boy shop back in ye olden days) but they’re flat. The heel on the cowboy boots provides the necessary element of dandy to the Tex-Tux to elevate it from :confused: :rolleyes::facepalm::hmm: to :cool::cool:

The whole point of double denim is that it can look really bad (as your sister pointed out), but done well it subverts that so it’s double good. The distance between ew wtf and yes man! is further than between whatevs and yes man!. Part of that is the pure chutzpah it takes to even try, let alone pull it off.

I also have my dad’s old high school ring. Any old clobber looks pretty fly when I’m wearing that.

Back
Top Bottom