Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Style and Fashion for Women over 50

campanula I love hats and wear them all through September to May, not so much in summer. I wear scarves all the time and now you've made me think about gloves. My hands are always cold and I often have white fingertips. I might have to go in search of gloves :cool:

campanula I love hats and wear them all through September to May, not so much in summer. I wear scarves all the time and now you've made me think about gloves. My hands are always cold and I often have white fingertips. I might have to go in search of gloves :cool:

I was given a really lovely pair of sheepskin gloves 22 yrs ago for Christmas. They have lasted so well and are the warmest gloves ever. Over the years I've been given other gloves bit I go back to my cosy sheepskin ones everytime

I was given a really lovely pair of sheepskin gloves 22 yrs ago for Christmas. They have lasted so well and are the warmest gloves ever. Over the years I've been given other gloves bit I go back to my cosy sheepskin ones everytime
Oh yes, sheepskin really is warm and lovely - sheepskin slippers are gorgeous...but...but...but...like my trusty but dreary leather trousers, they are a triumph of function rather than style with chunky styling and limited colours. I have only recently become enamoured of stranded colourwork in Shetland wool - with over 200 colours to choose and warmer than my usual leather gloves, knitted gloves have been as much of a pleasure as hats (I love them too, Shirl).

I bought some cashmere fingerless gloves/arm warmers last year. I need long gloves as my coat isn’t quite a full length sleeve. They were lovely and really soft and warm.

Can’t bloody find them now. This is why I shouldn’t buy myself nice things. [emoji35]

My style has been Jean/cutoffs and predominantly black singlets for ever really. I did start wearing pinifore dungaree/dresses for a bit at work. The pockets, the no waist band plus the boob coverage was perfect and great for really hot weather...

Screenshot_20191110-210823.png

If I tried to dress up a bit I honestly looked like I'd just climbed out of the dressing up box. Now I've got this job where I have to look smart! Jeez, what a palava and chore that's been.... :eek::rolleyes:

Now I'm wearing little black dresses and lots of beige and cream. No pockets ffs :facepalm:

Screenshot_20191110-211907.png

I'm 57 and should be allowed to go to work in my pajamas if I want to now :mad:

I know exactly the dress I want to wear when I die, I'm hoping my back muscles will have shrunk away again by that time tbh cos I tried it on a few yrs ago and it was too tight :(

As for style when you're over 50, as others have said wear wtf you like and feel comfy in :) It took me years to start wearing colours but now I rarely wearing boring ones.

I bought some cashmere fingerless gloves/arm warmers last year. I need long gloves as my coat isn’t quite a full length sleeve. They were lovely and really soft and warm.

Can’t bloody find them now. This is why I shouldn’t buy myself nice things. [emoji35]
:hmm:

have you looked in the pockets ?

Camila
pg-41-tv-rev-1-bbc.jpg

Wow! Now that's a personal style. Can you remind me who she is? I think she's an MP???

I feel really strongly that everyone should not give a fuck about this stuff, so I ♥️ this thread. I bought some orange Vans recently. I probably look like a bit of a twat in them but you know what?

Yep, I don't give a fuck.
I'm trying very hard to wear more colour now. I'm liking all of your styles.

(Sorry, not.a.woman, I'll fuck off now)

AS far as I'm concerned you are welcome on this thread. It can be difficult to find clothes that suit you no matter who you are. I don't think the choices for mature men, for instance, are much better than for women. They get boring clothes too.

I hate the idea of fashion for older people, style is something different. By the time you get to fifty you should know what suits you and what you feel good in. Yuwipi Woman what's wrong with your black art student clothing?
My advice if anyone asked would be stay away from Marks and Spencer.

I have several reasons for thinking of changing:

* I'm a little bored with it.
* I look at women my age who wear similar clothes and the appear almost deliberately invisible.
* I'm getting ready to change jobs. I'll probably end up in an office where I'll have to dress better. So I'm starting to look around at that type of clothing.

Wow! Now that's a personal style. Can you remind me who she is? I think she's an MP???
She founded a charity which helped kids who had dropped out of school. She ended up with millions of pounds of government grants, but fell from grace because she didn't think she needed to be accountable. I saw her speak once, she was very charismatic.

She makes her own clothes. She's fat, comfortable and not in the least invisible. Quite a strong look though.:D

I have several reasons for thinking of changing:

* I'm a little bored with it.
* I look at women my age who wear similar clothes and the appear almost deliberately invisible.
* I'm getting ready to change jobs. I'll probably end up in an office where I'll have to dress better. So I'm starting to look around at that type of clothing.
I pretty much just wear black myself and it can be a bit boring but also I worry that if I try to completely change things, I'll just look like an idiot because I have no idea of an overall look.

Whenever things have been successful for me it's always been when concentrating on just one element, which is much easier to get right in context - e.g. buying some fancy boots which still go with the overall black look, then maybe moving on to different styles of sleeve or something.

People say that the advantage of getting older is that you can wear anything you want, and while it's true that you may be more confident, some of that is also just plain giving up. "I'll never look good so I might as well just wear some horrible combination of pink and green and purple and fuck you all." I don't think that's really any better than being a fashion plate.

She founded a charity which helped kids who had dropped out of school. She ended up with millions of pounds of government grants, but fell from grace because she didn't think she needed to be accountable. I saw her speak once, she was very charismatic.

She makes her own clothes. She's fat, comfortable and not in the least invisible. Quite a strong look though.:D

Yeah, she isn't a wilting flower, by any means. Too bad about the charity. It sounded like a good idea.

Last edited:
I’m 42 so early middle age. I try and dress elegantly nowadays. I get second hand eBay jigsaw or toast stuff and layer it with simple H&M t-shirts. If I show anything I often show my ankles now. I invest more in my hair (balayage). At the weekend I still do jeans and a big jumper though.

There’s some beautiful middle aged women you see about now who are anything but invisible. I love middle aged faces, they’re often really beautiful. Aging has definitely suited me for example, look much better than I did in my twenties. No idea if I’ll still feel that in a few years as I’m at the tipping point now I feel, but hopefully I’ll become one of those women who has the face they deserve in their 50s, who look kind, striking, soft, and beautiful all at once.

Middle age women are the best. In so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom