Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

male style icons

Judging by the way a lot of young hip folk dress I think Timmy Mallet probably deserves some respect
timmy-1980-front5.jpg

capture27.png

article-0-02AF0156000005DC-953_468x684.jpg

Last edited:
A woman who turned ideas of fashion, and who could wear it, upside down.
A woman who dresses in an androgynous manner is not a male fashion icon, she's still female and she's a trendsetter for female style. Where is the point in suggesting to men to wear a man's suit, which is what they do anyway ? Her look is edgy on a woman, but not on a man, that's the point. Also, denying a woman her femininity for daring to take on some masculine attributes is dicey.

To turn this around, was Kurt Cobain a female style icon for having worn dresses ? Him playing with gender was the edgy thing about his look. He was a male style icon, his gender fluid grunge look inspired young men.

f173b31af54ba7d7a961ce463ce2b036.jpg

Last edited:
To turn this around, was Kurt Cobain a female style icon for having worn dresses ? Him playing with gender was the edgy thing about his look. He was a male style icon, his gender fluid grunge look inspired young men.

View attachment 310033
Nothing against Cobain, and I'm sure he sincerely felt he was "playing with gender", but for me the visual effect is a little too close to this:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F3a5e3a67-72b9-40d0-902a-0dce9f765352_1346x1782.png

for me the visual effect is a little too close to this:
yeah, that's because men in dresses have been a well-worn comedy trope for centuries. Any man in a dress - apart perhaps for one who was particularly statuesque & adrogenous - would bring the laughable comedy trope to mind before anything else.

yeah, that's because men in dresses have been a well-worn comedy trope for centuries. Any man in a dress - apart perhaps for one who was particularly statuesque & adrogenous - would bring the laughable comedy trope to mind before anything else.
...which any man putting on a dress for a photoshoot ought to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom