Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

It depends what angle it was at when it went in.
Surely it would break up on impact. Aircraft can't dive like cormorants I don't think. A whole massive plane, full of people, luggage, cargo etc etc leaving no floating debris? Sounds unlikely. Although the spotters may just have not seen it yet.

Odd thing re the passports; Italian and Austrian passports would need a visa for China, so whoever was using them would have had to get Chinese visas added, which seems like an iffy thing to attempt with stolen passports.

Odd thing re the passports; Italian and Austrian passports would need a visa for China, so whoever was using them would have had to get Chinese visas added, which seems like an iffy thing to attempt with stolen passports.

There's a visa-free transit scheme if you are moving on to a third country within 72 hours.

Surely it would break up on impact. Aircraft can't dive like cormorants I don't think. A whole massive plane, full of people, luggage, cargo etc etc leaving no floating debris? Sounds unlikely. Although the spotters may just have not seen it yet.

Planes aren't really that massive when contrasted with the vastness of the Ocean. It took them two years to find the AF447 which went missing between Sao
paolo and Paris in 2009

Reactions: Mab
was max fenig on the passenger manifest?

240561.jpg

There's a visa-free transit scheme if you are moving on to a third country within 72 hours.

Yeah but I'm struggling to think of an itinerary that would require you to fly from Malaysia to somewhere via Beijing, especially as going to Beijing would be on a carrier that only flies from Beijing back to KL; mixing airlines would be stupidly expensive. The 72 hour transit thing is not meant to be a stand-in for a visa, if your intention is to visit China you need a visa. For this reason airlines are well lairy of accepting passengers with no visa (as it's the airline who gets fined).

Whatever is the situation, iffy to do it with stolen passports.

Planes aren't really that massive when contrasted with the vastness of the Ocean. It took them two years to find the AF447 which went missing between Sao
paolo and Paris in 2009

It only took a couple of days to find some floating debris, but yeah, to find the stuff on the seabed took ages.

If it were a terrorist act, I suppose someone might claim responsibility, after all, without that there is no reason to do it. But I expect a few nut cases have probably been claiming responsibility already.

No group claimed responsibility for Air India 182 or Pan Am 103. Times have changed since then, but perhaps this was an old school outfit...?

someone's already said about the Air Franceflight

Well it's 4am there now, hopefully first light may offer some answers to those waiting on news of loved ones. They must know they're gone, but I would imagine confirmation would help with accepting that fact.

Not heard of that (when looking at Flight Radar I have a sick hope that a flight vanishes before me eyes :oops:)

They say the oil slick is off Phu Quoc, that's about 400 miles straight line from KL, so about an hour's flying time including take off and climb...

Lots of conflicting reports at the moment though.

No group claimed responsibility for Air India 182 or Pan Am 103. Times have changed since then, but perhaps this was an old school outfit...?
Would the lack of a claim make it more or less likely Pan Am might have been done by a state player? I can't understand why someone would do such a thing and not want it known who was responsible, or is the effect of such an act valuable enough on its own?

Actually, would the lack of a claim make it any more or less likely Pan Am could have been done by a state player? I can't really understand why someone would do such a thing and not want it known who had done it, or is the effect of such a terrorist act valuable enough on its own?

Dunno. What I do know is that the Pan Am was supposed to explode over the Atlantic*, but the flight was late, typical of Pan Am!) and the Air India bomb may have gone off after the plane landed at Heathrow had that also not have been late.

*there would have been far less evidence had this have happened.

And PA103 was 100% in retaliation for Iran Air 655.

There was an "expert" on the radio earlier who when asked what might have happened said there were two alternatives, 1) maintenance (as in of the aircraft) and 2) terrorism ..

He didn't consider someone may have shot it down by mistake, which happened in a couple of cases.

There was an "expert" on the radio earlier who when asked what might have happened said there were two alternatives, 1) maintenance (as in of the aircraft) and 2) terrorism ..

He didn't consider someone may have shot it down by mistake, which has happened.

Nor pilot suicide, which has also happened once confirmed, once suspected.

Not heard of that (when looking at Flight Radar I have a sick hope that a flight vanishes before me eyes :oops:)

They say the oil slick is off Phu Quoc, that's about 400 miles straight line from KL, so about an hour's flying time including take off and climb...

Lots of conflicting reports at the moment though.

The Star (Malaysian tabloid English language paper) reports the story. Somewhere else (The Mirror I think) has picture from someone who was following the flight on a tracking website. Seen a couple of other mentions. Whether all this information is taken from the person who was tracking the flight, I'm not sure.

I give up, too confusing. Too many different times

Out of interest, if a flight is only short haul (ie. 1 hour), how much of that time is taken up with taking off/descending, speeds, height etc. compared to if it was long haul?

Can't explain myself very well, but flight time to Kota Bharu or Kuala Terengganu/Terengannu (can never remember spelling) is 1 hour, but if plane wasn't landing at either airport and was flying to Beijing, how much further off the coast of Malaysia would it have travelled in 50 minutes of flying time from KL?

Does that make sense? :hmm:

If it were a terrorist act, I suppose someone might claim responsibility, after all, without that there is no reason to do it. But I expect a few nut cases have probably been claiming responsibility already.
The trend seems to be to not claim responsibility. Creates more doubt and confusion.

Back
Top Bottom