Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

Oh I don't know. Almost straight in (imagine, for example, a cabin fire, cabin crew and passengers asphyxiate, flight crew manage to put it in the water pretty much intact but then it sinks very quickly and takes them with it) anywhere in 20 million+ square km of ocean from 50 odd metres up to several km deep with absolutely no indication of where to start looking. It could take a lot more assets than that.

Definitely possible but so incredibly unlikely that a hijack is far more probable.

In a remote place, a plane crashing is likely to cause a fire that the plume of smoke can be seen for miles and miles and while these places are sparsely populated they aren't totally devoid of people and most of them have mobile phones. The flight recorders can be detected for much further when above ground.

Hijack would also give some credibility to the reports that people were calling mobile phones and getting the ring tone long after it was reported missing.

I'm wondering if these are connected?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/12/china-knife-attack-suspects-detained-before-massacre

To crash it into the side of a building, possibly somewhere in china?

That isn't stealing it, but it is the theory I am most inclined to believe presently. No-one will want to admit to shooting it out of the sky. However, it is looking like the most believable theory.

Definitely possible but so incredibly unlikely that a hijack is far more probable.

In a remote place, a plane crashing is likely to cause a fire that the plume of smoke can be seen for miles and miles and while these places are sparsely populated they aren't totally devoid of people and most of them have mobile phones. The flight recorders can be detected for much further when above ground.

Hijack would also give some credibility to the reports that people were calling mobile phones and getting the ring tone long after it was reported missing.

I'm wondering if these are connected?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/12/china-knife-attack-suspects-detained-before-massacre
so they go from knifing people to a fiendish plot no one can fathom in one fell swoop?

back to the drawing board i think

In a remote place, a plane crashing is likely to cause a fire that the plume of smoke can be seen for miles and miles and while these places are sparsely populated they aren't totally devoid of people and most of them have mobile phones.

Not at fuel exhaustion in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

The flight recorders can be detected for much further when above ground.

You've not been reading this thread have you? The CVR/FDR have ultrasound locators to find them underwater. Those locators are pretty much useless above ground/in a crater. The boxes are day-glow orange so they can be dug out of the ground/mangled airframe. Emergency Locator Transponders may be working nearby if they survive the crash. They are not attached to the CVR/FDR chassis.

That's been covered elsewhere repeatedly. You'll get a ringing tone whilst the various carrier systems try and figure out which cell (country) the phone might be located in and connect to it rather than a potentially confusing silence.

Either that or they really don't have a fucking clue. Which is both disturbing and astonishing.

I think it's more than likely they really don't have a clue, but tbh I don't find it astonishing. All of the confusing info about its final location has opened up a truly vast area of sea in which it could have come down. The mysterious bit - and possibly the disturbing one - is why all of the communications equipment seems to have failed/been switched off well before the plane crashed - if indeed it did.

existentialist said:
more unlikely than that the plane was nabbed and landed safely in some jungle airstrip?

777s need a lot of runway to land. Not to mention a lot of skill. A couple of blokes with false passports nicking it in order to land it in some bondesque crude jungle runway doesn't ring true at all.

BiLMYD8IMAAZngU.jpg:large

Here's one for you. This is from a Flightaware iPhone app giiving locations of the plane. Note how the 4th from last one appears to show the plane re-appearing 2 hours later.

The location?

Hong Kong.

You can check the locations using this website: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Enter the lat/long into the decimal section. Image below shows first and last of those last four entries.

View attachment 50114

It's also got it at 40k feet and not moving...

I'm not certain we should be trusting an iphone app.

777s need a lot of runway to land. Not to mention a lot of skill. A couple of blokes with false passports nicking it in order to land it in some bondesque crude jungle runway doesn't ring true at all.

I agree. I don't really believe it's landed safely anywhere, or that it's crashed on land. The former is unlikely because it's hard to see where it might be, and the latter would most likely have been seen. IMO it's far more likely than not that it's crashed in the sea, and the wreckage will be found at some point. That's not to say it couldn't have been hijacked first, though, which might explain why it evidently went quiet well before the end.

I agree. I don't really believe it's landed safely anywhere, or that it's crashed on land. The former is unlikely because it's hard to see where it might be, and the latter would most likely have been seen. IMO it's far more likely than not that it's crashed in the sea, and the wreckage will be found at some point. That's not to say it couldn't have been hijacked first, though, which might explain why it evidently went quiet well before the end.
hijackers traditionally want people to know something's been hijacked tho

Reuters reporting that a 'source' has stated that "satellites picked up electronic ping from MH370 after it lost contact".

The earlier ABC news report describes 'missing' minutes between the last transponder response (presumably secondary radar identification by ATC) and no further radar (primary) returns (during which time they seem to imply the aircraft turned towards the west, consistent with some of the early reports from the Malaysian authorities regarding their interpretation of the radar.

This would then tie in with the military primary radar indicating what may have been the plane tracking west, near the border with Thailand, out over the Andaman Sea. If the reported flight level (29.5kft) is correct (accurate) then that could be an attempt to avoid collision and deconflict from other traffic in the area whilst trying to remain radio silent and with no input from ATC (flights would normally be routed at 1kft vertical separations).

Could perhaps be a hijacking (or pilot gone AWOL) ending in fuel exhaustion out over the Indian Ocean.

There was a bloke on BBC breakfast this morning that pointed out the "convenience" of it disappearing between the airspaces of different countries - signed off on one but didn't report to the other. Would a hijacker have known whereabouts that point is? Seems unlikely. And lack of distress signal suggests something deliberate by the crew.

Would also explain why info is so cagey. We can handle hijackers and accidental crashes because we can take action to prevent stuff like that, wayward pilot though, that's pretty terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom