Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

Yeah, all fair enough, like I said I think there might be fair enough reasons, but we're left guessing as they can't be arsed/too scared or avoidant/are incompetent/enjoy the drama of not explaining.

E2A: She has/had slots on GB News and RT?!

I don't agree with Lisa's decision to appear on these platforms either but diagreement is allowed. I believe her view is that working class voices should take any opportunity they can to speak from that point of view on media.

Still think on balance she is a great and provocative voice to have in any debate and I don't think anyone can really doubt her credentials.

Don't see holding an academic qualification and being an anarchist as mutually exclusive things. Having got this book no doubt as to the sincerity / genuine nature of those involved. A bit off, these comments, tbh.
I'd say it's less of a contradiction with being an anarchist and more of a potential contradiction with playing the prolier than thou card, which is one that she is quite fond of.
You do know there is more than 1 lisa mckenzie? We're talking about the academic not the former civil servant
Huh, I was unaware of the other until today, but on looking it up I now learn that the WPUK-liking ex-civil servant is a Lisa Mackenzie, while the bookfair-disinclined RT-writing academic is a plain old Lisa Mckenzie. So A380's statement above is indeed quite right.

I don't agree with Lisa's decision to appear on these platforms either but diagreement is allowed. I believe her view is that working class voices should take any opportunity they can to speak from that point of view on media.

Still think on balance she is a great and provocative voice to have in any debate and I don't think anyone can really doubt her credentials.
I’ve got a range of opinions on her tbh , none of which would amount to no platforming her

I'd say it's less of a contradiction with being an anarchist and more of a potential contradiction with playing the prolier than thou card, which is one that she is quite fond of.

Huh, I was unaware of the other until today, but on looking it up I now learn that the WPUK-liking ex-civil servant is a Lisa Mackenzie, while the bookfair-disinclined RT-writing academic is a plain old Lisa Mckenzie. So A380's statement above is indeed quite right.
I'm right on the button with my insightful, mature and reflective political commentary.

As ever.

Well, not really- academics comes in all shapes and sizes and all class backgrounds, much like any other sector of society. Unless you're holding to an ageing stereotype of academics only featuring leather elbow patches, a whiff of pipe tobacco and referring to themselves as "one" in conversation.

Interestingly ime this has been the way events coordination/organisation has been going in the past few years, shifting to this sort of dysfunctional "we don't want you here and we aren't going to explain why" attitude.

Not specifically about the Bookfair lot, but having been on the receiving end of people whose response to not getting their way is to go ballistic and try to spin anything you say into a time/headspace consuming bunfight (or worse, public shaming) I'd guess a lot of this phenomenon is down to a strategy of self preservation. A vague response is a deniable response, gives dickheads less to latch on to.

The Anarchist Salon des Refusés

btw if you think this thread is a wreck, it’s a model of civility compared to years gone by (sound system in Weatherspoon’s imbroglio, or punters asking ‘are you revol68’ looking for a scrap)
Ah yes who could forget the battle of Holloway Road

Well, not really- academics comes in all shapes and sizes and all class backgrounds, much like any other sector of society. Unless you're holding to an ageing stereotype of academics only featuring leather elbow patches, a whiff of pipe tobacco and referring to themselves as "one" in conversation.
It's a bit live by the sword, die by the sword, innit? Like, yeah, there are probably several academics in the UK who aren't actual aristocrats. But then there are probably some working-class people involved in London anarchism as well, some of them might even be bookfair organisers.

I believe her view is that working class voices should take any opportunity they can to speak
Its a good idea, actually puts our message out there to discontented people who otherwise wouldn't be reached and ensures we're not just talking to ourselves, or trying to reach liberals etc many of whom aren't interested anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom