Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

You're lucky they've gone with conventional spelling Magnus McGinty! ;)

"Perhaps learning how to write letters is most openly and nakedly the point where iteration itself is at stake. Perhaps it points to the essential and primary movement from joyful exuberance to iterative drudgery. "The repetitive nature of patterns," with which children start to learn how to draw letters, "emphasizes the rhythmic movement which we aim for when writing," This tames the children's muscles, helping to "maintain the consistency of size."

Last edited:
It's quite an unusual and pretty poster, approve of the birdlife, even with the pelican wearing a flat cap. Could they have made the location any harder to read though? Date would be better bigger as well.
Yes I think the illustration bit is great and that should be encouraged. TBF the only place I've seen the image is online where there are links for further info and dates etc...

Yes I think the illustration bit is great and that should be encouraged. TBF the only place I've seen the image is online where there are links for further info and dates etc...

I'm very much looking forward to all the anarchist and birdlife puns etc.

It's quite an unusual and pretty poster, approve of the birdlife, even with the pelican wearing a flat cap.
Pelican and gannet (?) adding nicely the 'anarchist birds' subgroup of Ravens, Crows, Jackdaws, Petrels and of course Sea Gulls

Last edited:
Will any actual anarchists be allowed to attend or will they have to sign a declaration of submission to the committee?

Lisa’s stall request has been vetoed and she is not happy.

“disinclined” lol

Attachments

• 3B644FF2-5C3F-4DA0-AAD7-EC1CDA47826A.jpeg
    3B644FF2-5C3F-4DA0-AAD7-EC1CDA47826A.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 74
  • BEFC865B-AEC7-45A3-A2FC-CACDE8941A49.jpeg
    BEFC865B-AEC7-45A3-A2FC-CACDE8941A49.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 76
I do think if people/groups are refused a stall it'd be generally useful and polite to explain why. If it's just a stall selling a book that can be bought elsewhere and there's limited stall space, for example, I think that might be fair enough.

Now the only possible reasons she can think of are that the anarchist bookfair people don't like working class people or genuine collectives, neither of which strike me as the likely reasons that the project has had a stall request rejected.

Very weird to have chosen the smiley face thing as your book cover when the book is about the pandemic/lockdown and the smiley face is something that's become common among the Covid conspiracy lot. Be (very slightly) interested to read the book.

I do think if people/groups are refused a stall it'd be generally useful and polite to explain why. If it's just a stall selling a book that can be bought elsewhere and there's limited stall space, for example, I think that might be fair enough.

Now the only possible reasons she can think of are that the anarchist bookfair people don't like working class people or genuine collectives, neither of which strike me as the likely reasons that the project has had a stall request rejected.
there's generally been a deadline in the past before which people could get stalls - perhaps there is one this year, i don't know. but under the auld regime the collective would do their best to accommodate. now there's been a changing of the guard things are different. last time round the acg were barred. this time it's lisa. there seems to have been some decision made about the sort of people the organisers want and the sort of people they don't. and that's not healthy for the movement. back in the day i think there were stalls in the main hall at conway hall and also in the large room at the 'back' (backing onto theobalds road) plus meetings up the windy staircase. might have been windy meetings up the staircase. maybe the organisers can expand and resolve any space issues that way. i think they ought to come clean if there's some other reason behind the refusal or disinclination to give lisa a stall.

Back
Top Bottom