Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

As personal lexicon: All the best is fine, best regards is "I'm irritated with you but I suppose I should be cordial" and regards as above. If it's just the text followed by your own name then it can be either absolutely fine (I don't need to all the best or best regards you, you're a mate) or absolutely not (you don't get a regards you bastard), depending on context.

Reactions: Sue
As personal lexicon: All the best is fine, best regards is "I'm irritated with you but I suppose I should be cordial" and regards as above. If it's just the text followed by your own name then it can be either absolutely fine (I don't need to all the best or best regards you, you're a mate) or absolutely not (you don't get a regards you bastard), depending on context.
As I work in a very international environment, my colleagues don't even have the grace to notice/understand my pissed off 'regards' thing. 😡

Perhaps there's been an SWP-style fatwah on engaging online in the Helmand Province of internet forums, urban75.
That's an impressively mixed metaphor, unless I missed something and the SWP actually did occupy Afghanistan for a while?

I may have mentioned elsewhere how I used to have a really toxic passive-agg coworker who always signed off with "Kind Regards", which did my head in at the time but I have now adopted for whenever I'm cunting someone off via email. [resists temptation to go into inappropriate levels of detail about difficult email conversations I'm having at the moment and the challenge of finding appropriate sign-offs.]

Not a huge fan of the direction Lisa has taken in recent times, but so what? That book appears to be a valid collective project that seems eminently suitable to have a stall at an anarchist book fair.

If an anarchist can't sell their book at an anarchist book fair then it does raise the question of what's the fucking point of holding in the first place?

What the bookfair? TBH I can imagine some fair reasons that she might have been turned down for a stall.
I've lost sight of who is organising/misorganising this event and have no idea of their politics so I'd I'd be interested in what you might think the 'fair reasons' are.

That's an impressively mixed metaphor, unless I missed something and the SWP actually did occupy Afghanistan for a while?

I may have mentioned elsewhere how I used to have a really toxic passive-agg coworker who always signed off with "Kind Regards", which did my head in at the time but I have now adopted for whenever I'm cunting someone off via email. [resists temptation to go into inappropriate levels of detail about difficult email conversations I'm having at the moment and the challenge of finding appropriate sign-offs.]
There was a smart , if smarmy senior policy officer, on the Council who would always sign off his emails /whats apps with 'Thanks Steve' which I found so irritating I started to use it myself.

Have these been handed down from bookfair to bookfair or do they change from bookfair to bookfair? It's at times like this one almost feel some nostalgia for the days of The Black Hand and his bookstalls. Thanks Steve.

There was to be a boycott following the Helen Steele debacle so the organisers threw the towel in and now some new folk took it on armed with a guest list.

I've lost sight of who is organising/misorganising this event and have no idea of their politics so I'd I'd be interested in what you might think the 'fair reasons' are.

I said earlier; they might be fully booked already. Or have very limited space (no idea how big the venue is) and they'd rather reserve that for groups and campaigns rather than stalls selling single books that could be bought elsewhere. Or maybe the book is really dodgy politically.

No idea, but those would be pretty fair reasons to me. But whatever the reason, the easy answer is they should just give it to Lisa, then nobody has to speculate, people can answer it if it's inaccurate, apologise if it's something they did they now think is shit/regret, etc etc.

IMO it's just decent, normal and politically sound behaviour to explain to people why you turn down a stall like this.

I said earlier; they might be fully booked already. Or have very limited space (no idea how big the venue is) and they'd rather reserve that for groups and campaigns rather than stalls selling single books that could be bought elsewhere. Or maybe the book is really dodgy politically.

No idea, but those would be pretty fair reasons to me. But whatever the reason, the easy answer is they should just give it to Lisa, then nobody has to speculate, people can answer it if it's inaccurate, apologise if it's something they did they know think is shit, I dunno, but etc. etc.

IMO it's just decent, normal and politically sound behaviour to explain to people why you turn down a stall like this.
Agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence . Their customer service team doesn't seem up to it tbh and there doesn't seem to be a complaints procedure.

TBH having a look at the Kickstarter they set up, and seeing this collective seems to comprise of 7 people, 3 of which are doctors (I assume academic ones) I'm a bit meh about the whole thing being much of an anarchist project at all tbh. But who knows, it's another mystery in the Bookfair world...

TBH having a look at the Kickstarter they set up, and seeing this collective seems to comprise of 7 people, 3 of which are doctors (I assume academic ones) I'm a bit meh about the whole thing being much of an anarchist project at all tbh. But who knows, it's another mystery in the Bookfair world...
I think the bookfair collective should have to publish their qualifications now so we can find out what proportion of them are doctors and choose our side according.

Don't see holding an academic qualification and being an anarchist as mutually exclusive things. Having got this book no doubt as to the sincerity / genuine nature of those involved. A bit off, these comments, tbh.

Yes indeed. I was more aiming for a description of this place being a graveyard for patiently explaining Trots (RIP cliffite, Rebel Warrior & co.) and hi-vis jacketed coy bootsale organisers. Clearly my shot wasn't accurate enough ;)

Don't see holding an academic qualification and being an anarchist as mutually exclusive things. Having got this book no doubt as to the sincerity / genuine nature of those involved. A bit off, these comments, tbh.

No, of course they're definitely not at all mutually exclusive. It's more the project tone, of which that is a part, maybe not a very important one for sure. But nowhere does it mention anarchism etc., and I've not seen any collective anarchist projects ever have a few members that call themselves Dr ... as some public thing. I'm not making a huge deal of it, but it does look like a thing that might seem slightly odd to give a stall to if space was limited for example.

The book might be great, like I said I have no idea, which is why I think all this could have been prevented by the Boofair giving reason why they turn people/stalls down.

No idea, but those would be pretty fair reasons to me. But whatever the reason, the easy answer is they should just give it to Lisa, then nobody has to speculate, people can answer it if it's inaccurate, apologise if it's something they did they now think is shit/regret, etc etc.

Interestingly ime this has been the way events coordination/organisation has been going in the past few years, shifting to this sort of dysfunctional "we don't want you here and we aren't going to explain why" attitude. Like everything else the practice has been de-skilled and standards have dropped.

Imo it doesn't matter if there's a legitimate reason in this case or not because it's just normalising behaviour that can be used illegitimately

Ah not to spin it out anyway, all could have been avoided with a two line e-mail ("We choose not to platform indivduals associated with GB News and Russia Today", for example.)

It's also a shitty demonstration of power differentials- as stated by muscovyduck "we don't want you here and have too little respect for you to bother explaining why".

LDC AFAICS the title "Dr" is useful for the bank manager but no-one else. The book concerned is a genuine grass roots project / set up and entirely admirable as a project. If the "Drs" involved had been looking for academic bonus points from it, it wouldn't have been self-published and would have had reviews from half a dozen well know professors on the back cover.

Yeah, all fair enough, like I said I think there might be fair enough reasons, but we're left guessing as they can't be arsed/too scared or avoidant/are incompetent/enjoy the drama of not explaining.

E2A: She has/had slots on GB News and RT?!

Back
Top Bottom