Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Tbh we can't even sensibly define "Anarchist Bookfair" never mind anything else. :(

All joking apart I do think the Bookfair was partly a site for some of these problems because to its size and popularity, and due to that plenty of people and groups with tenuous (or no) connections to anarchism were attracted to it - and I mean aside from the anarchist-curious as it were.

Anyway, so is this being streamed on Sunday? Can someone post a link or is it just off the main website.

Am genuinely interested in virtually dropping into some talks.

Tbh we can't even sensibly define "Anarchist Bookfair" never mind anything else. :(
ostensibly an opportunity for anarchist groups to sell or give out their propaganda, for meetings on subjects such as history, experiences, and theory, and for people to catch with auld friends, anarchist bookfairs are in fact opportunities to play out the most ludicrous personal vendettas

ostensibly an opportunity for anarchist groups to sell or give out their propaganda, for meetings on subjects such as history, experiences, and theory, and for people to catch with auld friends, anarchist bookfairs are in fact opportunities to play out the most ludicrous personal vendettas
And for non anarchists to get the chance to experience the joys of the ‘anarchist community’ vicariously for a brief period.

Not that it’s much different to the rest of the left…

It's a good point about the internecine rivalries, but can you imagine all the different Leninist groups getting together for their own united bookfair? It'd be impossible. Even social democrats cannot even get on without witchhunting one section or the other (look at the current and past antics inside the Labour Party). Yes, there is friction between some anarcho groups and individuals - and some of that is inevitable, some petty and misguided - but there is much, much more cooperation and certainly more so than in most other parts of the left (radical or otherwise).

It's a good point about the internecine rivalries, but can you imagine all the different Leninist groups getting together for their own united bookfair? It'd be impossible. Even social democrats cannot even get on without witchhunting one section or the other (look at the current and past antics inside the Labour Party). Yes, there is friction between some anarcho groups and individuals - and some of that is inevitable, some petty and misguided - but there is much, much more cooperation and certainly more so than in most other parts of the left (radical or otherwise).
my post wasn't intended to be taken entirely seriously

I don't know though, the prospect of an enraged Joti Brar breaking a chair over Chris Bambery's head, after a duplicitous Trot speech, resulting in a windmilling free-for-all in the conference hall, would be enough to get me to at least consider attending a UK pan-Leninist conference

To be fair, UK Leninists have often gotten together in various united fronts and electoral alliances and the like. With predictable results.

Meanwhile anyone who had the misfortune in the 80s or 90s of trying to enter the building where, say, the NUS or NUT were holding their annual conference would have had a good feel of what a Trot Bookfair would be like...

Lisa McKenzie is doing an event with Whitechapel anarchist on Saturday. Not sure if it’s part of the official bookfair

I don't know though, the prospect of an enraged Joti Brar breaking a chair over Chris Bambery's head, after a duplicitous Trot speech, resulting in a windmilling free-for-all in the conference hall, would be enough to get me to at least consider attending a UK pan-Leninist conference
Makes the annual, and in my case the very welcoming, booting out Workers Power and the AWL at Marxism seem like small fry . Used to look forward to that highlight in the old days .

Makes the annual, and in my case the very welcoming, booting out Workers Power and the AWL at Marxism seem like small fry . Used to look forward to that highlight in the old days .

In my defence I think my scenario was influenced by re-reading Beating the Fascists recently :

"A right hook planted him in the geraniums..."

"Resistance ended when twelve heavy dinner plates were dropped on his head"

etc

Also fondly remember putting the RCP stall in the lift at the Polytechnic of North London with one of their members stretched across the trestle table clinging on to their literature
Though perhaps a case of win the battle, lose the war as by the time it was UNL both RCL and IFM had a firm toehold there.

I am (Saturday) and it would be nice to meet you. :)

I am currently at the mercy of my daughter's timetable for tomorow though so have no idea when I will be around.

It would be nice to meet you too :)

I'm not able to go on Saturday though. I will check out some of the online stuff on Sunday, after doing my sponsored walk!

I promise not to flick doner meat into vats of vegan surprise.

Back
Top Bottom