Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Oh, and here's the Sunday schedule:
E-3DntXXoAUMD1L

Can we get a ball by ball summary from those Urbs there. For example did the ACG rock up outside?

Was late - temperamental washing machine, cancelled trains and a slow bus.

It was nice to be back at Conway Hall. Inside was pretty sparse and sedate compared to the glory / pre-COVID days. There were at least two empty tables I saw.

Usual crowd I guess. A smattering of punky types but no stench, lol.

It seemed pretty well organised,tbf. The use of Red Lion Square as an overflow was a nice touch and the little cafe in the park was open and there were a few stalls with gazebos.

It looked like Rebel London and Haringey Solidarity Group had fly-pitched outside the entrance. I didn’t see ACG or Martin Wright - probably cos I was too late.

I bumped into one current and one former U75 poster in the square.

It was alright. I’m not sure I’d be entirely happy if I’d travelled from outside London to it, but the publicity made it clear it would be smaller this year, so…

Martins talking outside about the weirdness of gender politics. Guess he’ll be banned next year.
He was banned this year. Spoke to him briefly and he'd got the same treatment from the organisers as the ACG. I wonder who else they did this to? The absence of AK, Active and PM Press can't be an oversight.

Outside of very particular activist scenes there’s no such fraughtness.

I dunno, I know 2 women completely outside any political or any counter-cultural scene who've had issues with this. And I've seen an older feminist women consistently given quite nasty grief by 2 younger trans people in a largely apolitical project due to her views on this, which I would say were mildly questioning rather than 'TERF' like. And I don't know that many people! So much as it would be nice it was confined to the weirdness of the activist scene I don't think it's true.

Back
Top Bottom