Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

All sorts of women have "particular experiences and face particular oppressions that are different from other women".

For example a woman may or may not be disabled, working class, BAME, LGBTQ*, intersex, older, younger, trans, cis, homeless, unemployed, living with chronic illness, etc etc, etc, etc.

None of it has any bearing on whether or not she is a woman.
Yes and no one argues that BAME women can't organise BAME only spaces or lesbians Lesbian spaces so I don't understand why cis women aren't allowed by some to organise or insist on cis only spaces sometimes?

ETA: just to be clear I assume trans women are women.

Yes and no one argues that BAME women can't organise BAME only spaces or lesbians Lesbian spaces so I don't understand why cis women aren't allowed by some to organise or insist on cis only spaces sometimes?
Yes and no one argues that BAME women can't organise BAME only spaces or lesbians Lesbian spaces so I don't understand why white women aren't allowed by some to organise or insist on white only spaces sometimes?

ETA: just to be clear I assume trans women are women.
i think some of the difficulty arises when these spaces are eg toilets. i don't imagine bame women would organise bame women only toilets or lesbians lesbian only toilets.

Last edited:
E2A: You beat me to it!
Yep. The question ten becomes about whether ciswomen's structural oppression remains in relation to transwomen.

Indeed, are ciswomen structurally oppressed because they are "cis" as well as because they are women? This brings up a whole of questions. In

Yes and no one argues that BAME women can't organise BAME only spaces or lesbians Lesbian spaces so I don't understand why white women aren't allowed by some to organise or insist on white only spaces sometimes?
False equivalence imo. White women aren't oppressed because they're white. Cis women face issues as cis women and trans women as trans women as well as both sets facing issues as women.

For instance I know and have supported cis women who have lost out on promotions at work because of the "risk" of pregnancy.

I also know and have supported trans women who have suffered horrific abuse, discrimination and assault.

Both groups are oppressed because of their circumstances and have the right to self organise when appropriate.

False equivalence imo. White women aren't oppressed because they're white. Cis women face issues as cis women and trans women as trans women as well as both sets facing issues as women.

For instance I know and have supported cis women who have lost out on promotions at work because of the "risk" of pregnancy.

I also know and have supported trans women who have suffered horrific abuse, discrimination and assault.

Both groups are oppressed because of their circumstances and have the right to self organise when appropriate.
I tend towards agreement.

But it also requires an unpicking of how the different facets of oppression(s) intersect. I think (and as a cisbloke I'm not any sort of expert on this so feel free to correct me) that ciswomen do not suffer structural oppression because they are cis per se but because of biological or physical assumptions made about women more generally.

So, to take your example about discrimination towards women who may get pregnant. That discrimination is focussed on women within a certain age bracket. Older, post-menopausal women won't face that particular oppression. But younger women will, but including many who won't or can't get pregnant. There's also no particular reason why some transwomen might also face that particular discrimination.

It's complicated and messy was my point.

I agree it's complicated and messy and I just want to add I have not personally come across any cis women who feel the need to self organise without trans women in person recently - despite working alongside people who might be seen to be the most likely to want to exclude (including a rape crisis centre).

Also unfortunately this is one argument where I feel the need to say this kind of thing so I don't get shouted at by people online - I was actually moderately involved in the campaign to support Laurel Hubbard here in NZ.

However I can't help but feel that based on the evidence of my own (as a cis male) eyes and what little I have read on the subject it is not unreasonable for Cis women to organise their own spaces sometimes and if it it was unreasonable - it would not be for me to say.

I broadly agree with you here.

But also: I personally know two trans men who carried pregnancies and gave birth as men. There are many more out there. And many more who physically could but don't choose to. Where do they fit in?

And what about trans women who don't announce themselves to be trans, who are treated much like cis women and suffer discrimination on the basis that people assume they can get pregnant (much like many cis women who can't for medical reasons but still suffer that discrimination)?

Last edited:
Also just to add I think that cis men don't get to organise apart from trans men because we dont face discrimination as cis men. However trans men should be free to self organise whenever they want to because obviously they do.

ETA - I think this also answers Bills point although I hadnt seen it - in addition there may be times when trans men and cis women want to organise together - but I definitely know fuck all about that.

ETA ETA - the first point not the one after he edited.

Also just to add I think that cis men don't get to organise apart from trans men because we dont face discrimination as cis men. However trans men should be free to self organise whenever they want to because obviously they do.

ETA - I think this also answers Bills point although I hadnt seen it - in addition there may be times when trans men and cis women want to organise together - but I definitely know fuck all about that.

ETA ETA - the first point not the one after he edited.
I don’t usually attempt to "correct" posters in these circumstances, but as I have previously had a very interesting conversation with BillRiver on this subject, I will point out that they have previously said that they wish to be referred to as they/them.

This is not a criticism or attack; it's quite possible that you weren't aware of their expressed preference (even though I see it's also in their tag line)

Surely by that logic you could extend it to all people irrespective of sex or gender, and say there's so much difference and variation between individuals that no specific categories hold? Or am I missing what you're saying?
Isn’t this getting back to the point of why identity politics is ultimately unhelpful?

I broadly agree with you here.

But also: I personally know two trans men who carried pregnancies and gave birth as men. There are many more out there. And many more who physically could but don't choose to. Where do they fit in?

And what about trans women who don't announce themselves to be trans, who are treated much like cis women and suffer discrimination on the basis that people assume they can get pregnant (much like many cis women who can't for medical reasons but still suffer that discrimination)?

What you've said illustrates something that makes me (and others I know) sometimes feel uncomfortable about how this issue has impacted massively on the wider political scene/movement/whatever. The fact that it seems to be sometimes incredibly individualized and personal, and sometimes devoid of any wider and deeper politics, partly shown by what you just said, which is often the response of people when discussing this. "But what about X?" or "I feel under threat or my existence is being denied" or "Even having this discussion is an attack" or something similar, which of course makes any reasoned discussion difficult, especially when I think some of those involved are quite damaged, and/or young, or are in a political scene for reasons to do with it being generally welcoming and tolerant as much as the politics themselves.

Equally often goes for other areas of what we call identity politics obviously.

It's a very big leap to go from acknowledging that disabled women experience oppressions in some ways differently from able-bodied women, or women of colour from white women, etc etc, to arrive at it's all completely individualised and the social class that is woman is just nonsense identity politics blah blah blah!

I'd go as far as to say those reactions are nonsensical, in fact. Utter tripe, even.

I don’t usually attempt to "correct" posters in these circumstances, but as I have previously had a very interesting conversation with BillRiver on this subject, I will point out that they have previously said that they wish to be referred to as they/them.

This is not a criticism or attack; it's quite possible that you weren't aware of their expressed preference (even though I see it's also in their tag line)

Yes, I am genderqueer/non binary, my pronouns are they/them.

Also, I'm not actually called Bill.

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:
It's a very big leap to go from acknowledging that disabled women experience oppressions in some ways differently from able-bodied women, or women of colour from white women, etc etc, to arrive at it's all completely individualised and the social class that is woman is just nonsense identity politics blah blah blah!

I'd go as far as to say those reactions are nonsensical, in fact. Utter tripe, even.

Yes, but it seems to be a leap that plenty have made. Maybe we're talking past or misunderstanding each other?

*Ah, edited it out, nothing important.

Apologies BillRiver I hadn't noticed the tagline and wasn't aware. When I was more regularly posting I tried to use they/them for anyone I didn't know.

i suspect so, and your correction explains why i couldnt find said statement
I think the server that hosted their website is down as well, although it’s still archived elsewhere. Poor Edinburgh AF, putting that much effort into slagging off the old bookfair collective as much as they could, and then going down in history as “weren’t they that lot who wrote that statement in defence of the bookfair collective that was a bit soft on terfs?”

I can easily understand 'turn nation war into class war' - it makes clear sense and I can see how it can work out in practise. How does that work in this case?
I think the slogan about “class war not race war” is probably a better comparison here – that slogan doesn’t deny that racial oppression exists, and it certainly isn’t opposed to bashing or confronting bigots, but it does still express that the general mission should be to defuse racial tensions rather than heightening them. So there’s another example of where you’d expect anarchist communists to act as conciliators as much if not more than a fighting force.

It is symbolic, absolutely. But symbols are important (as long as they're not a simple substitute for practical action), This is why, I presume, that Solfed twitter feed says, above the post you posted, that they'll be proudly flying the trans solidarity flag. It's akin to the need to say you need to show sensitivity; it's not enough, but it's a good starting point.

We could also get into the whole question of issuing 'statements.' They'll always be a hostage to fortune and I'd think they were generally best avoided unless you want to be absolutely adamant about particular issues. They should be either a symbolic act of solidarity or a general guide to action, imo. And then followed up with examples of that action.
Yeah, that’s pretty fair, I just thought your earlier post seemed to be mixing up the symbolic and the practical a bit. But yeah, nothing wrong with symbolism, I think it would be good if the ACG also started using the trans flag more. Perhaps as the cover of a pamphlet called “Trans Liberation: A Contribution to the Debate: Perspectives on the Fight Against Transphobia: This Pamphlet is Now Available as a PDF”?

I am very tempted to go on and describe just why I think NI is a good analogy for the questions around trans rights (essentially 'competing' interests among the working-class, where we should be 'on one side' but without saying all the other side are scum)
See, I tend to agree with you about NI being a good analogy for trans issues in some ways, even though I probably disagree with you about NI itself. But it seems to me that some of the objections to the ACG, at least coming from SE22/Binacg, is less about the points you mentioned and more just denouncing them for not being willing to say the other side are scum. I don’t know if the bookfair organisers share those objections, but when we finally got an opinion out of Rhyddical it did seem to point in a similar direction as well.

Chilango covered much of this above, but on the specific self-organised spaces thing: I think there are issues that will only affect people with specific biology, so for instance it makes complete sense to have classes for people who are currently pregnant and preparing to give birth, or sessions for people coping with miscarriages, or post-natal depression, that are only open to people who fit those specific categories. But those lines don't fit to cis vs trans, or AFAB vs AMAB, or whatever. Like, it would be weird for a trans woman with no experience of pregnancy to turn up at a class for expectant mothers and be like "I am a woman and so I expect access to this woman's space", but it would be equally weird, imo, for a cis woman who had never been pregnant to do the same thing.
There are also social experiences based on being perceived to have specific biology, but again that doesn't really match up as cis v trans, like a trans woman who is read as being female might lose out as promotions because she's perceived as being at risk of pregnancy even if she isn't, while a trans man or enby who is biologically able to get pregnant might not have the same problem if they can perform socially expected behaviours in such a way that they don't get read as woman.

Maybe I've missed it in all the excitement, but has anyone come up with a settled definition of 'man' and 'woman' which can sensibly be used in these conversations? Time was when there was no confusion and definitions were based on biology and the respective role of each sex in reproducing the species. The same basic definitions applied to all other species of animal as well. If that is no longer the case, what is the case?

Maybe I've missed it in all the excitement, but has anyone come up with a settled definition of 'man' and 'woman' which can sensibly be used in these conversations? Time was when there was no confusion and definitions were based on biology and the respective role of each sex in reproducing the species. The same basic definitions applied to all other species of animal as well. If that is no longer the case, what is the case?
Definitions have varied across time, space, and context. But, in the west for the last few hundred years the terms have been widely understood to correspond directly to biological categories i.e. male and female (albeit those categories can be predicated on slightly different things e.g. chromosomes, hormones, anatomical structures, gametes, which, whilst overlapping in the overwhelming majority of instances, do have some exceptional edge cases). But, that's not a given; which definition we - as individuals or a society - subscribe too isn't an objective truth but a political choice.

Personally, I'm content to adopt a definition of 'woman' that includes trans women, for almost every circumstance. What I'm less comfortable with is imposing that on others. But nor do I think trans people should have others' definition imposed on them.

We need an accommodation which, until consensus can be reached, allows for respectful disagreement whilst ensuring two groups who suffer disproportionately under capitalism - women and trans people - receive fair treatment. (Not that I think it's a zero sum game i.e. that the interests of those groups are opposed or incompatible.)

Finding such an accommodation will require us to acknowledge the legitimate interests and viewpoints, whilst rejecting the absolutist cranks at either extreme e.g. the bigots who think it's all a paedophile plot (and, in fairness, the gender critical movement is becoming increasingly dominated by extremists), and the zealots - particularly men - who would rather brand people as bigots than attempt to empathise with a rape victim who might be nervous about sharing her safe space with a male-bodied person.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom