Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

I'm now expecting a third member of the collective to turn up and denounce the first two and their paltry attempts at not answering why a stall hasn't been granted, only to reiterate their own non answer. It will be called Reasons to Be Uncheerful, Part 3.

I'm now imagining the Angry Workers and/or Rebel City stalls as being like them ice cream vans/chippies/tape shops that were rumoured, with varying degrees of plausibility, to sell drugs if you went up and asked with the right codewords. "Here, you got any Jackdaws?" "WHAT, WHO TOLD YOU THAT?"
Rhyddical, SE22 and LDN Bookfair conduct a non-hierarchical table patrol on the floor

GangAOP13 (1).jpg

So what is the costume for this convention, this little get together? I mean it does just seem like a massive fantasy con. But with no clear description on favourite series dress codes or whatever. More embarrassing really that the average fantasy con.
I actually mean this in a nice way, genuinely. But it does seem like a soirée for inviting the same old people to talk about stuff that they can fall out about. Although I’m tempted to join the streaming thing. I don’t do paper books so not going to the book shop, fair, of any kind But nothing wrong with Book fairs.

Have the ACG thought of building bridges, perhaps sending a gift along to Conway Hall for the bookfair collective? Something picking out a couple of strains in contemporary anarchism? Maybe something made out of natural materials for the greens, perhaps an animal theme for Sabs and Animal Rights lot? Perhaps a large wooden horse?

It’s like Dungeons & Dragons isn’t it, come on admit it. Left splinter groups and all that. They never achieve anything but get to hang around with other nerds and discuss the minutiae of interminable irrelevant nonsense. At least Dungeons & Dragons is entertaining and a little sociably more acceptable.

I just wanna chuck a brick through a window you know. I’m being a bit tongue in cheek but also half serious.

It’s like Dungeons & Dragons isn’t it, come on admit it. Left splinter groups and all that. They never achieve anything but get to hang around with other nerds and discuss the minutiae of interminable irrelevant nonsense. At least Dungeons & Dragons is entertaining and a little sociably more acceptable.
To be fair, whilst anarchism has it's moments, I don't think this whole pantomine has much to do with anarchism. It's more about how debates and identities have become trapped within the circuits of identity politics, with all it's red lines and denunciations. I don't kid myself that excluding the ACG in this bizarre fashion will have much impact on the already piss poor state of working class politics, but it doesn't say anything good about those 'in charge'.

To be fair, whilst anarchism has it's moments, I don't think this whole pantomine has much to do with anarchism. It's more about how debates and identities have become trapped within the circuits of identity politics, with all it's red lines and denunciations. I don't kid myself that excluding the ACG in this bizarre fashion will have much impact on the already piss poor state of working class politics, but it doesn't say anything good about those 'in charge'.
I dont think its about "identities" - i gather its basically about responses to trans rights. And/or pamphlet production levels.

With all the kerfuffle on this thread, I confess I've forgotten where and when the actual Bookfair is taking place.

Can anyone remind me?
This is an anarchist bookfair, the most divisive event in the movement's calendar. In all the excitement I've forgotten if the organisers have five groups on their banned list or if it's six.

But I don't see how to work in 'do you feel lucky, punk?' :(

I dont think its about "identities" - i gather its basically about responses to trans rights. And/or pamphlet production levels.
I'm something of an outsider to this, so only have an outsider's perspective.

However, it looks to me that although the ostensible issue is trans rights and responses to them, there are also a number of other things going on slightly below the surface, for which supposed differences over trans rights has become something of a fig leaf.

Back
Top Bottom