Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

I'm unfortunate enough to have heard a couple of their songs, and that's more than enough knowledge for me. I genuinely think I'd enjoy the Cranberries more.
I suppose that makes their longevity and stability all the more impressive - not just long-term commitment to a project, but sticking with it all those years while also being required to listen to Chumbawamba songs all the time. True dedication.

I suppose that makes their longevity and stability all the more impressive - not just long-term commitment to a project, but sticking with it all those years while also being required to listen to Chumbawamba songs all the time. True dedication.
I really need to show more positivity in my life. Instead of complaining about the two chumumba songs I've heard, I should focus on the benefits of not hearing any of their other output.

Last edited:
I'm unfortunate enough to have heard a couple of their songs, and that's more than enough knowledge for me. I genuinely think I'd enjoy the Cranberries more.
i remember being in finsbury park once with friends and there was some kind of festival going on in the park within earshot which we were ignoring
floating on the air at one point was a repeated refrain I AM A TIMEBOMB, A TICKY TICKY TIMEBOMB - I AM A TIMEBOMB, A TICKY TICKY TIMEBOMB - it was really annoying - the ticky ticky bit especially annoyed me for some reason and it stuck in my head for years ... a long time later with the advent of the internet i googled it and turns out it was chumbawumba and theres a video for it too
crap story but true

i remember being in finsbury park once with friends and there was some kind of festival going on in the park within earshot which we were ignoring
floating on the air at one point was a repeated refrain I AM A TIMEBOMB, A TICKY TICKY TIMEBOMB - I AM A TIMEBOMB, A TICKY TICKY TIMEBOMB - it was really annoying - the ticky ticky bit especially annoyed me for some reason and it stuck in my head for years ... a long time later with the advent of the internet i googled it and turns out it was chumbawumba and theres a video for it too
crap story but true
was it sung to the tune of i'm a little teapot?

crap story but true
See, my new found positivity is working already.

I got no idea what this song is and I'm truly joyful in my ignorance.

I was never a massive Chumbawamba fan but did see them a few times in London. Their shows immediately preceding the big hits like Tubthumping were great - a good run of danceable pop tunes with decent lyrics. They'd grown beyond the ultra preachy shrieking of the early albums. If people don't like danceable pop music or hate the way they did it, that is obviously OK. I do wonder though if the reaction against them is partly the cringe about when we are all teenage shouty anarchists ourselves.

During the lockdown I've checked out their post- top 40 albums and many of those are also great - understated folk and acoustic numbers. Boff Whalley's project The Commoners Choir is a logical step on from that - largely acaepella choral and folksy songs with a large group of singers, tours of Northern libraries and community centres, that sort of stuff. Boff's autobiography Footnote is good.

I happened across Dunstan's band Interrobang‽ without knowing who they were. It was a slot at a small venue supporting The Ex. Really tight songs about ageing, being a cliche and stuff, interesting lyrics. A bit like Wire. Matching brown suits. They were great. I think Dunstan is also working on a documentary about the band and his mixed feelings about his time with them / their success.

i saw them at the class war international conference and thought they were good. (blaggers were better, though).
think they played the night i volunteered at the door and the fash tried to attack, though i wasn't involved in the little that actually happened, i might have had a bit to much adrenaline still pumping to really appreciate the concert..

got a couple of records, don't listen to them much, but theres a couple of songs i still like.

listening to the commoners choir on spotify now Fozzie Bear - thanks for the tip - will check out interrowhatever next.

i saw them at the class war international conference and thought they were good. (blaggers were better, though).
think they played the night i volunteered at the door and the fash tried to attack, though i wasn't involved in the little that actually happened, i might have had a bit to much adrenaline still pumping to really appreciate the concert..

got a couple of records, don't listen to them much, but theres a couple of songs i still like.

listening to the commoners choir on spotify now Fozzie Bear - thanks for the tip - will check out interrowhatever next.
Used to have a tape of that chambas gig and there was a bit on there where they say about fash in the area

I was never a massive Chumbawamba fan but did see them a few times in London. Their shows immediately preceding the big hits like Tubthumping were great - a good run of danceable pop tunes with decent lyrics. They'd grown beyond the ultra preachy shrieking of the early albums. If people don't like danceable pop music or hate the way they did it, that is obviously OK. I do wonder though if the reaction against them is partly the cringe about when we are all teenage shouty anarchists ourselves.

During the lockdown I've checked out their post- top 40 albums and many of those are also great - understated folk and acoustic numbers. Boff Whalley's project The Commoners Choir is a logical step on from that - largely acaepella choral and folksy songs with a large group of singers, tours of Northern libraries and community centres, that sort of stuff. Boff's autobiography Footnote is good.

I happened across Dunstan's band Interrobang‽ without knowing who they were. It was a slot at a small venue supporting The Ex. Really tight songs about ageing, being a cliche and stuff, interesting lyrics. A bit like Wire. Matching brown suits. They were great. I think Dunstan is also working on a documentary about the band and his mixed feelings about his time with them / their success.
I really like their English Rebel songs. Great stuff.

They don’t know me, but they seem to be happy to decide what I secretly believe inside, despite my words and actions.

It’s the internet way. Lots on urban like as you know.

So the offer from the Angry Workers to share their stall with the ACG has been rejected by the Bookfair organisers.
I'm now imagining the Angry Workers and/or Rebel City stalls as being like them ice cream vans/chippies/tape shops that were rumoured, with varying degrees of plausibility, to sell drugs if you went up and asked with the right codewords. "Here, you got any Jackdaws?" "WHAT, WHO TOLD YOU THAT?"

Also, was there any grounds given for the rejection, or have the Angry Workers been put under a D-notice regarding the contents of that email as well?

Back
Top Bottom