Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Malatesta: Anarchism and Organisation: Perspectives on Organising - have you created yet another three-titled monster? belboid's gonna proper kick off about this one. Mind you, the kerning on it's pretty decent, so maybe that'll get you unbanned.
Malatesta is the author, so title & subtitle is perfectly acceptable. Repeating one of the two key words in the sub is rather superfluous though, it was hardly likely to be perspectives on the state of opera.

Just wanted to say, Rhyddical in their comments here do not represent the Anarchist Bookfair in London collective and it talking in a personal capacity only. In fact, this admin thinks that Rhyddical, while being generally a good comrade, is making a total arse of themselves here. But that's their choice really.

This is the first and the last time I will be commenting here. This is also the last time I am bothering to even look at this forum. Have fun throwing bile at each other and everyone in the vicinity.

I don't believe you.

Last edited:

Had a union branch meeting today where there was a motion proposed, everyone was happy with the demands and general aim, but some members of the committee were unhappy with some parts of the wording and perspective. Cue a lengthy discussion about whether it'd be better to go away, reword the motion so it was acceptable to everyone, and then vote on it at the next meeting, or vote on it today and try to resolve the matter straight away. We eventually decided to have a vote on whether to vote on it today or postpone it, and the majority voted to have a vote. Then we voted on it and the majority voted it down, so it was agreed that the proposers of the motion and their critics would go away, reword the motion so it was acceptable to everyone, and then vote on it at the next meeting. 😎 That's the proper, smoothly efficient, non-anarcho-scene class struggle for you.
this is heaven to me - shouldnt be seen in anyway as contradictory to anarchist practice - the opposite: anarcho-bureaucracy is the prize! So long as all delegates in committee positions are fully recallable, or on a rotating schedule ;) Also reaching a consensus is preferable to taking things to a vote. This is genuinely great I think https://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/handbookweb.pdf

Malatesta: Anarchism and Organisation: Perspectives on Organising - have you created yet another three-titled monster? belboid's gonna proper kick off about this one. Mind you, the kerning on it's pretty decent, so maybe that'll get you unbanned.
Librarians take the title and author not from the cover but from the title page within the book #cataloguing101

Projectile was great. Best ran anarcho thing I've been to.
And nice to remember that the Star and Shadow is still going, which reassures some of my doubts about long-term libertarian infrastructure a bit. (Cue round of "what, you haven't heard about what's happened with the Star and Shadow?")

And nice to remember that the Star and Shadow is still going, which reassures some of my doubts about long-term libertarian infrastructure a bit. (Cue round of "what, you haven't heard about what's happened with the Star and Shadow?")

I think there's something in the size of town/city, types of groups there, and maybe the amount of people in the 'scene' that does make a difference with fallings out and implosions?

London always seems the epicentre of this stuff, Leeds and Manchester are bad too it seems, and plenty of places like Newcastle and Norwich seem to escape it almost entirely.

I think there's something in the size of town/city, types of groups there, and maybe the amount of people in the 'scene' that does make a difference with fallings out and implosions?

London always seems the epicentre of this stuff, Leeds and Manchester are bad too it seems, and plenty of places like Newcastle and Norwich seem to escape it almost entirely.
There's no requirement to get on in London. Plus anyone who chooses to move there is a freak by definition.

there are prickly characters in the north-east as there are in eg leeds and london

I'm left feeling that there is so much that i don't know about the nuances of the UK's anarchist movement, but I don't really have the stamina or time to fully catch up on.

there are prickly characters in the north-east as there are in eg leeds and london

For sure, I do think there's something about the size of some larger places that makes it easier to be less accountable and to ignore people or move scenes if you have a falling out though. Maybe something to do with people's lack of roots and connections to an area as well makes falling out easier.

Some thing about places with large transient populations as well maybe? Can we blame students for something surely too?

For sure, I do think there's something about the size of some larger places that makes it easier to be less accountable and to ignore people or move scenes if you have a falling out though. Maybe something to do with people's lack of roots and connections to an area as well makes falling out easier.

Some thing about places with large transient populations as well maybe? Can we blame students for something surely too?
i was thinking of two longstanding anarchists, the one in the north-east and the other in leeds, who - i think it's fair to say - are very marmite

i was thinking of two longstanding anarchists, the one in the north-east and the other in leeds, who - i think it's fair to say - are very marmite
Is the Leeds one connected to olden times London bookfair beef from back in the distant 2000s, or am I way wide of the mark there?

Is the Leeds one connected to olden times London bookfair beef from back in the distant 2000s, or am I way wide of the mark there?

No idea what you mean, and I live here, although disconnected to much of the 'scene'. There's been plenty of fallings out over the years, the Class War split/collapse/whatever one is memorable (although well before my time in the city), but mostly the drama I know of has revolved around scenes since then (mostly people who moved here to be students and then stayed); within the 'identity politics' stuff for want of a better description, they seem to fall out with each other at the drop of a hat tbh. It looks like proper 'Life of Brian' stuff sometimes looking at somewhat externally (although tbf I admit to some of that stuff in the past. Age... eh, softens you up doesn't it? :mad: )

E2A: Couldn't resist...

Last edited:
No idea what you mean, and I live here, although disconnected to much of the 'scene'. There's been plenty of fallings out over the years, the Class War split/collapse/whatever one is memorable (although well before my time in the city), but mostly the drama I know of has revolved around scenes since then (mostly people who moved here to be students and then stayed); within the 'identity politics' stuff for want of a better description, they seem to fall out with each other at the drop of a hat tbh. It looks like proper 'Life of Brian' stuff sometimes looking at externally.
there was an anarchist from Leeds who used to post on here many moons ago. When I met him at drinks thing I explained that there were some anarchists who used to live in the flat above mine in Acton and it turned out that he knew them in Leeds. Small world.

No idea what you mean, and I live here, although disconnected to much of the 'scene'. There's been plenty of fallings out over the years, the Class War split/collapse/whatever one is memorable (although well before my time in the city), but mostly the drama I know of has revolved around scenes since then (mostly people who moved here to be students and then stayed); within the 'identity politics' stuff for want of a better description, they seem to fall out with each other at the drop of a hat tbh. It looks like proper 'Life of Brian' stuff sometimes looking at externally.
Thinking about it, are Chumbawamba actually the best example of a longstanding, stable UK anarchist project that managed to last for a considerable period of time without splintering into fractions that hate each other? 🤔 Or is this another point I'm about to be disappointed on?

I've seen that SolFed are/have been active in Croydon AFAIK, but beyond that, no idea.
Fwiw, AngryWorkers have a local group who sound decent to me:

Unless they've had an acrimonious split and dissolved in the last few months, I suppose.

Unless they've had an acrimonious split and dissolved in the last few months, I suppose.

No acrimonious split, but not so active as they were. Still about though in a somewhat reduced format.

They are very decent people. I hold them in some regard.

Back
Top Bottom