Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

We went to the pub last night to celebrate, and I've got to say the Daily Star has played a blinder with their on running lettuce joke, everyone was talking about it, there was even a discussion as to if the lettuce could win against Larry the Downing Street cat. :D

View attachment 348063

That last line ^^^ is brilliant.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, they even projected the lettuce onto the side of parliament last night.

View attachment 348065
That lettuce looks a good deal like fabricant

From the July 2022 contest, first round votes for Truss + Badenoch + Braverman = 122. Should be enough to get someone swivel-eyed on the ballot if they manage to cooperate.

Braverman is a busted flush thanks to the email thing. Badenoch though...

Conservative Home says that sunak's got the most declared backers, with Johnson 2nd and Mordant way behind. But that's probably out of date now.

From the July 2022 contest, first round votes for Truss + Badenoch + Braverman = 122. Should be enough to get someone swivel-eyed on the ballot if they manage to cooperate.
True, though it's a pretty big if, IMO.

But if eg Badenoch can muster 100+ votes by Monday, they're certainly in with a chance.

Anyway, for my as usual iconoclastic take on the Truss Defenestration see here: Enjoy!
Do you think what has just happened was a coup? I dont think anywhere to the degree you make out: i think it was mainly weak and incompetent leadership with little support in the party and crucially even less support in the country <no one voted for her and polls swung drastically against her sharpish to wipe out levels which is what really set panic amongst Tory MPs. You need support to get things done in politics. Her power was a house of cards and it was less a coup and more of a collapse.

Do you think the reported near collapse of pension funds was artificially manipulated to bring her down, or do you think it was a to be expected outcome (others predicted similiar if Truss went ahead with her plans). ?

Also what do you think Brexit has got to do with this? "much of the ruling class never supported it and will try any trick in the book (and a few outside it) to reverse it." How is a supposed coup against Truss going to "reverse Brexit"? Other than maybe some tribalisms Brexit itself has nothing to do with any of this, other than in the minds of Brexit campists.

Also I dont understand this objection " And of course the media/opposition are again calling for a General Election: yet to have one would only underline our gradual drift to a Presidential (not Party) system of government." <as LBJ spells out above, the system is meant to be you have a party with a manifesto and that is voted for. Truss threw away the manifesto and made up her own shit and tried to ram it through with the majority she inherited from Johnson. Its was a massive abuse of the little democracy we have in the UK, and I cant see why anyone would object to an election.

Last edited:
The idea that's now getting airtime, that Johnson is extending an olive branch to Sunak, is significant imo. Not so much that Johnson would give Sunak a cabinet post - I don't think Johnson will get that far. But it means that Johnson's endorsement could win over some of the more recalcitrant 'Sunak is a backstabber' members. If Johnson can forgive him, so might some of them.

Possibly.

The whole thing's mad. The longer we have to wait for a GE the worse the shambles we're in.

Any bookies offering decent odds on Captain Tom?
What the Tories need is one of those chairs that Graham Norton has on his show. They could all take turns being leader of the government and if it looks like this one's getting a bit shit Michael Gove (Dressed in a jesters outfit) could pull the leaver.

Something like this...

Daily Mail is telling its readers that "As of last night, Johnson had the support of 50 MPs, while Mr Sunak counted 39, and Penny Mordaunt was on 17". Its like they want him back, at the DM.
Maybe it really will happen BJ2. I cant see it but then i'm always wrong usually by being too optimistic.

They must know that Johnson comming back just makes them look even more ridiculous? Right? RIGHT??

It would be funny if he did end as PM, then the standards committee completes their investigation, finds him guilty of misleading parliament, suspends him, which would result in a recall petition and a by election, which he would lose. :D

It would be funny if he did end as PM, then the standards committee completes their investigation, finds him guilty of misleading parliament, suspends him, which would result in a recall petition and a by election, which he would lose. :D
But say it's not a bye election and he returns to the house of commons?

Daily Mail is telling its readers that "As of last night, Johnson had the support of 50 MPs, while Mr Sunak counted 39, and Penny Mordaunt was on 17". Its like they want him back, at the DM.
Maybe it really will happen BJ2. I cant see it but then i'm always wrong usually by being too optimistic.
Pessimists are never disappointed

I'd say it is definitely Scotland and Northern Ireland that are being held back in a failing Britain. I think it's sadly true that England will never fully examine itself until it's forced to, until it's left alone with itself, to finally realise how it got there.
I agree, but have to ask who is it within the country who needs to stop and evaluate...its not all of England, its certain English people, people with a solid 'traditional' or status quo mind set. The union is a big part of that status quo so a break up of the union will inevitably force them to have a reevaluation of some core ideas about whats what. It will also force a lot of state structures to be rewritten.

I think the big problem we have in Britain is its a state with centuries old establishments and so many systems and power structures are deeply set in stone. There's a massive need for things to be done differently, but change is blocked by that traditionalism, political and to a lesser extent cultural.

Since every attempt at meaningful reforms gets shut down by those structures its an effective avenue to try and smash up the edifices of the status quo. A break up of the union definitely does that - it would be a huge moment, as would the collapse of the monarchy, which would be really shaken by such a break up.

Brexit sort of upsets the status quo, though on one level its conceived by many of the architects as an attempt to go back to a Britain of the past and an attempt to try to reinforce that old model. If Brexit does help undo the union that would be a really lucky unexpected side outcome. I like the union, it could and should work, but in its current form it doesn't. Since reform isn't an allowed option best to rip it up and start again, and maybe in the distant future a weaker England could rejoin a new union in which it wouldn't be allowed to dominate as much.

Too be honest I have seen enough superfluous political drama over the past 7 years to last a lifetime. It's entirely possible that could occur and it would just be another episode in the shit storm that is Johnson. Only a stake through the heart and quicklime would finish him off.

Too be honest I have seen enough superfluous political drama over the past 7 years to last a lifetime. It's entirely possible that could occur and it would just be another episode in the shit storm that is Johnson. Only a stake through the heart and quicklime would finish him off.
Not even that. He needs to be thrown from the tarpeian rock or sewn into a leather sack with a rooster, snake, dog and monkey then cast into the briny deep

Back
Top Bottom