Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

Desperation in bar charts. Apologies cupid_stunt. i couldnt believe it but seems the Worthing Tory Club is in tune with the general despair, don't ask us just sort it out we give up.

It's why I like talking to these guys, I like to know what the buggers are upto.

I somehow thought they the membership were madder and less broken in spirit than that. 60% of them saying fuck any figleaf of democracy leave us in peace to pay our £25 a year just stick someone in there whoever we don't care. That's quite sad.

I somehow thought they the membership were madder and less broken in spirit than that. 60% of them saying fuck any figleaf of democracy leave us in peace to pay our £25 a year just stick someone in there whoever we don't care. That's quite sad.
Given how batshit they are, it's not sad for the rest of us.

That's not how it works, they chose their local candidate to represent them in parliament, that's why they have decided their MPs are in a better position to pick their leader, because, err, they know these people, they work with them on a daily bias, and will need to work with them as a leader, the membership does not.

That's the whole idea of a parliamentary system.

That's not how it works, they chose their local candidate to represent them in parliament, that's why they have decided their MPs are in a better position to pick their leader, because, err, they know these people, they work with them on a daily bias, and will need to work with them as a leader, the membership does not.

Thanks for that.
So why would you ever have a members vote and how the hell did we get Liz then, instead of Sunak, the MPs choice.

Oh yeah you just explained that they the members only learned their lesson in humility and the parliamentary system sometime during her premiership, maybe yesterday.

Last edited:
My nearest little town has a tory club, big decrepit victorian building in the middle of the high street. Would love to pop in there this rainy dark eve, just half a pint and see what the vibe is. Did enquire and you need to be invited though, by a member.
years ago (1970s) i played darts for my local pub team (The Blacksmiths Arms:)) against a Conservative Club side, at their venue. Initially i felt like a class traitor , and wanted to avoid going, but i was captain so couldn't slide out easily. It wasn't too bad in the end because their team consisted mainly of people who were members of the Con Club only for geographic convenience and the cheap beer along with the strange early opening times. Most of their team were known to me, and were normally Labour voting union members! The worst thing about the experience was the nausiating portrait of the queen and a photo of Ted Heath. i'd a good night, several pints of Brew 10, and no fall outs. It is still satisfying to recall that our team won .:thumbs:

Has to be said the times the party leader has been chosen by the MPs they chose real shit too. Maybe the whole thing isn't fit for purpose.

the polling does suggest they mostly want the MPs to sort it out among themselves

View attachment 348017
looking at it again, that poll seems to be kind of nonsense.
It doesn't add up at all that they'd be so keen on being left out of the process but also at same time don't want the 2nd placed candidate to just drop out.
I think we're seeing sense where there isn't any like when you see faces in clouds, to humanise the mindless void of it all.

Last edited:
I just hope to fuck they dont pick Ben Wallace, I really dont want to win the bet I placed 2 days ago

looking at it again, that poll seems to be kind of nonsense.
It doesn't add up at all that they'd be so keen on being left out of the process but also at same time don't want the 2nd placed candidate to just drop out.
I think we're seeing sense where there isn't any like when you see faces in clouds, to humanise the mindless void of it all.
The second place candidate drops out option is unpopular because it's describing how May became leader, and large parts of the party are still residually traumatised by May's electoral collapse in 2017 - if you'll cast your mind back a few days to the last tory leadership election, the same tory bores who're pomping about the primacy of MPs in a parliamentary system were equally insistent that a full leadership election campaign was required, as the focus of the campaign would quickly expose any weak candidates, which hadn't happened with May. They even made the candidates commit to going the full course and promise not to drop out iirc. While we can see now that a lack of scrutiny by the members wasn't the problem after all, they still have a knee-jerk reaction to it, I reckon.

The top option is just a fantasy anyway though: how do they imagine a unity candidate might be decided on, except through some sort of internal process in the PCP, with the MPs with lower amounts of support dropping out? How else could this kind of thing be agreed within any party, let alone this party, this week? How do they imagine politics actually works?

The second place candidate drops out option is unpopular because it's describing how May became leader, and large parts of the party are still residually traumatised by May's electoral collapse in 2017 - if you'll cast your mind back a few days to the last tory leadership election, the same tory bores who're pomping about the primacy of MPs in a parliamentary system were equally insistent that a full leadership election campaign was required, as the focus of the campaign would quickly expose any weak candidates, which hadn't happened with May. They even made the candidates commit to going the full course and promise not to drop out iirc. While we can see now that a lack of scrutiny by the members wasn't the problem after all, they still have a knee-jerk reaction to it, I reckon.

The top option is just a fantasy anyway though: how do they imagine a unity candidate might be decided on, except through some sort of internal process in the PCP, with the MPs with lower amounts of support dropping out? How else could this kind of thing be agreed within any party, let alone this party, this week? How do they imagine politics actually works?
Yep. That poll of Tory members basically just says the general mood is it hurts make it go away. It doesn’t say they’ve realised they need to stand by the MPs choice because otherwise more bad things will happen.

drinking in a Tory bar

must be like drink in a chelsea pub

fuck that shite

Nah, usually just full of old gimmers and people there to do the quiz IME.

I went with my sister to one once. She used to be a SWPer... :D

• Haha
Reactions: Ax^
Nah, usually just full of old gimmers and people there to do the quiz IME.

I went with my sister to one once. She used to be a SWPer... :D

You can join a Conservative Club but opt out of the political element of the membership fee. I think it’s like three quid a year or something.

I feel like the time has come to put Britain to bed. It's an abusive situation, no longer working on any level, going from bad to worse each time a new development occurs. The queens funeral felt like the requiem for the UK - the previous era is over. Time for Scottish independence, Irish unification, and for England & Wales to enter a very serious period of no holds barred reflection about what it actually wants the nationstate to be, and what citizenship within it looks like, and how that can realistically be delivered.

I feel like the time has come to put Britain to bed. It's an abusive situation, no longer working on any level, going from bad to worse each time a new development occurs. The queens funeral felt like the requiem for the UK - the previous era is over. Time for Scottish independence, Irish unification, and for England & Wales to enter a very serious period of no holds barred reflection about what it actually wants the nationstate to be, and what citizenship within it looks like, and how that can realistically be delivered.
Yes everything will be much easier to sort out once the Scotland and northern Ireland are got shot of - it's time they stop holding england and wales back from doing no holds barred reflection.

I stopped watching until recently and if they were not doing such damage it has been fun watching this shiftiest lot ever kill their party for a decade or more hopefully
I dont think we have seen how weird and shit she is or this lot really are yet

View attachment 347917
They’re like the evil Carry On team from an alternative antimatter universe.

He has to win enough votes from MPs first. That's the hurdle for Johnson, and it's a big one.

They may agree to give him the nomination purely because he’d win a GE. Fuck everything else.

And he’d be smarter this time and allow some actual governance and politicking to be done by others. He’s brash and brazen enough to muscle through the Truss mess.

And it gives them options for the GE. He’d win again if it’s sooner, or he /they can claim he has the mandate, he has the mandate, and delay going to the country til the last possible moment.

This is perfect for Johnson. It fulfils his “I am Churchill” fantasy (being ousted and then returning). He’ll work very hard to make it happen.

I hope I’m wrong.

So, if they have to get 100 nominations and if 2 or even 3 stand, there's a good chance 2 will make it to a members vote. Anything could happen, but the members are probably more likely to go for a loon (a poll of members even had johnson as their favourite earlier today). But if 5 or so stand, that reduces the chances of anyone other than sunak getting 100. So... the change in the rules could well have an impact on the result.

Back
Top Bottom