Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

but if its the membership who get to decide again ....

Heh. No way they'll let that happen this time. Which is why I keep saying Truss is safe for now til they agree on a unity candidate. That's the problem for the Tories as pointed out on here by someone else the other day. The party is not a cohesive entaty. Fine when things are going well, but now, rats in a sack...

eg they rig it so that when it comes down to the last 2 candidates after MP voting rounds, the one with less votes simply drops out at that stage.

Thats one mechanism anyway. The one that worked for Theresa May vs Leadsom.
Only works if the one with less votes keeps their promise.

I'm only on page 131 (no spoilers please!) but reading this thread from a different timezone is wild right now. No need to keep hitting refresh for the latest chaos, just waking up every morning to 10+ pages of shit that's happened between about midday to 9pm UK time. It's like waiting till the end of a series so you can binge the whole thing at once :cool:

eg they rig it so that when it comes down to the last 2 candidates after MP voting rounds, the one with less votes simply drops out at that stage.

Thats one mechanism anyway. The one that worked for Theresa May vs Leadsom.

They may well try that - but there are no guarantees it will work. Everyone is assuming that they will organise a coronation to avoid a leadership campaign - but the party is a total fucking mess who don't know what they are doing with nobody in charge and is split between multiple factions who all hate each other - so I don't think a coronation is a given at all. They are in panic mode and who know what the fuck will happen next.

I'm only on page 131 (no spoilers please!) but reading this thread from a different timezone is wild right now. No need to keep hitting refresh for the latest chaos, just waking up every morning to 10+ pages of shit that's happened between about midday to 9pm UK time. It's like waiting till the end of a series so you can binge the whole thing at once :cool:

Today certainly reminded me of an end of season Twin Peaks episode where Lynch squeezed a large amount of shit hitting the fan all in one go for the season cliffhangers.

First episode of season 2:

Lucy, you better bring Agent Cooper up-to-date.

Leo Johnson was shot. Jacques Renault was strangled. The mill burned. Shelly and Pete got smoke inhalation. Catherine and Josie are missing. Nadine is in a coma from taking sleeping pills.

- How long have I been out?

- It's 7:45 in the morning. We haven't had this much action in one night since the Elk's Club fire of '59.

Heh. No way they'll let that happen this time. Which is why I keep saying Truss is safe for now til they agree on a unity candidate. That's the problem for the Tories as pointed out on here by someone else the other day. The party is not a cohesive entaty. Fine when things are going well, but now, rats in a sack...

Rats are apparently better at establishing leaders than the other vermin.

Being the alpha rat is all about attitude. Alphas are not always the largest rat in the colony. It is how they control the group that matters. Alphas maintain order by stopping aggression within a colony ... It is a misunderstood notion that rat colonies are constantly fighting within their ranks. Typically, healthy colonies get along well and work with the leader to maintain order.

They may well try that - but there are no guarantees it will work. Everyone is assuming that they will organise a coronation to avoid a leadership campaign - but the party is a total fucking mess who don't know what they are doing with nobody in charge and is split between multiple factions who all hate each other - so I don't think a coronation is a given at all. They are in panic mode and who know what the fuck will happen next.
I suppose the only parameters are that it won't be a loon and that the next one will be about orthodoxy and cuts. Though with cuts and people starving this winter, I'm not sure what the electoral pitch will be in 2 years.

That assumption is based on the idea that if they are going to do anything at all, it will be an emergency damage limitation stabilising retreat to something approaching the tory centre, with more than one eye on how things look not just to the electorate but also as part of the ongoing attempts to placate the markets.

The version of 'unity' that this entails is very far from a perfect, comprehensive version of party unity. Its a botched together version of unity. We already saw one form of this in the last few days, until things exploded again today. It had absurd features because that version still had Truss as nominally in charge. The next version will be absurd in somewhat different ways, but there is a fair chance of them pulling it off. It will be putting a brave face on the fact the party has blown its own head off. Its not easy to have a face of when you've blown your head off, let alone a brave one, but they will probably go through these motions anyway.

FfdtMNoXEAIPO18

If they dont manage to pull off the desperate unity reboot then they will stumble into a general election instead.

Reactions: LDC
My internet is down so I’m missing most of this, but trying to drag MPs through the right door is some Trumpian shit

I don't see how they can let her stay, despite having no one to replace her. This chaos will apparently continue unabated, and even if they get exhausted and it simmers down, no one in office now has any authority at all, either in parliament or in the country.

And Starmer’s frankly pathetic show at pmqs today amounts to an own goal.

Last edited:
Guest opinion piece in the New York Times:

"They Believed in Markets, but the Markets Did Not Believe in Them"

Includes:

There’s something tragicomic, if not tragic, about capitalist revolutionaries Ms. Truss and Mr. Kwarteng laid low by the mechanisms of capitalism itself. Ms. Truss and Mr. Kwarteng may be the last of the Thatcherites, defeated by the very system they believed they were acting in fidelity to.

They followed their idol not only in her antagonism to organized labor but also in her less-known fascination with Asian capitalism. In 2012’s “Britannia Unchained,” a book co-written by the group that remains a Rosetta Stone for the policy surprises of the last month, they slammed the Britons for their eroded work ethic and “culture of excuses” and the “cosseted” public sector unions. They praised China, South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong. “The average Singaporean works two hours and 20 minutes a day longer than the average Brit,” they observed — as if longer working days were something to aspire to. “Britannia Unchained” expressed a desire to go back to the future by restoring Victorian values of hard work, self-improvement and bootstrapping.

The mini-budget that ended Mr. Kwarteng’s tenure as chancellor of the Exchequer and crashed the pound can be seen as a utopian gesture, an act of voluntarism designed to jolt the British people out of their post-pandemic torpor through its very boldness. Ms. Truss and Mr. Kwarteng seemed to have believed that by patching together all of the most radical policies of Thatcherism (while conveniently dropping the need for spending cuts), they would be incanting a kind of magic spell, an “Open sesame” for “global Britain.” This was their Reagan moment, their moment when, as their favorite metaphors put it, a primordial repressed force would be “unchained,” “unleashed” or “unshackled.”

But as a leap of faith, it broke the diver’s neck.

The outcome resulted in a divergence between the incentives of existing capitalism and the fairy tale of liberal utopia. Just as Brexiteers had discovered after the departure of the country from the European Union that the City of London actually didn’t want to be freed of the regulations that they were promising, the money markets were not waiting for an act of faith in Laffer Curve fundamentalism after all. This was “Reaganism without the dollar.” Without the confidence afforded to the global reserve currency, the pound went into free fall.

Back
Top Bottom