Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

Aren't we just negotiating that tricky period in history, between the time when the majority of people believed in sky pixies, and the time when the majority realises it's bogus bullshit?

Once more the tedious reductionist sky pixies cliché.

Human religious experience is rather more nuanced and varied than you give it credit. It's also pretty universal as is the equally nuanced and varied human experience of sexuality. The former is as unlikely to vanish in a puff of holy smoke as the later is to be burnt out in a final universal lustful frenzy.

That's not fair at all. I don't agree with the viewpoint but parents have the right to raise their children as they believe is correct.
Even if they're racist and think that violence is an answer to any uncomfortable situation? I mean, where do you draw the line? It's okay to kick the shit out of anyone that you don't like the look of?

I'm not having a go by the way, where DO you draw the line? I think it's a massive grey area. It may be up to parents to make that choice but is that really good for people who stand out as different?

Even if they're racist and think that violence is an answer to any uncomfortable situation? I mean, where do you draw the line? It's okay to kick the shit out of anyone that you don't like the look of?

I'm not having a go by the way, where DO you draw the line? I think it's a massive grey area. It may be up to parents to make that choice but is that really good for people who stand out as different?
I think the law is a reasonable guide in this case. Holding bigoted views isn't illegal. Violence, or inciting violence, is.

To tell th your gay child they're an evil pervert destined for the fires of hell can be as harmful as a lot of what would unequivocally be considered accuse.
That's not where he was going with it though. Wookey said that parents telling their children (presumably any parents of any children) that homosexuality is wrong is abusive.

To tell th your gay child they're an evil pervert destined for the fires of hell can be as harmful as a lot of what would unequivocally be considered accuse.
Does not wishing your child to be taught sex education (at school) automatically mean you're going to say those things? Is that what parents are telling their children? My sister is a parent. She has never said anything of the sort to her children, although she is catholic, and I'm sure the bible probably says such things.

Does not wishing your child to be taught sex education (at school) automatically mean you're going to say those things? Is that what parents are telling their children? My sister is a parent. She has never said anything of the sort to her children, although she is catholic, and I'm sure the bible probably says such things.

No, but that's not what I argued against; I was taking issue with Spymaster saying it's ok for parents to tell kids homosexuality is wrong.

"If they want to tell them that homosexuality is wrong, that's their business."
That doesn't mean I think it's ok or agree with it. Some parents may raise their kids to be communists or tories; you may disagree with either but the parents have a right to their opinions.

That doesn't mean I think it's ok or agree with it. Some parents may raise their kids to be communists or tories; you may disagree with either but the parents have a right to their opinions.

It's not about their right to hold an opinion; it's a question of whether their 'right' to foist that opinion on their child trumps that child's right to be free of the harm caused thereby.

No, but that's not what I argued against; I was taking issue with Spymaster saying it's ok for parents to tell kids homosexuality is wrong.
Yet you quoted my post, and nowhere did I say it was OK to tell your child they're evil and going to burn in hell. That's the realm of paedophile priests, not normal parents.

Again, you choose to be a Tory or a Communist (sort of) but you just are gay. It's not a choice.

It's not about their right to hold an opinion; it's a question of whether their 'right' to foist that opinion on their child trumps that child's right to be free of the harm caused thereby.
Well if you're arguing that parents shouldn't tell their kids that homosexuality is wrong because the kid my be gay and that could cause them problems, I can accept that.

Well if you're arguing that parents shouldn't tell their kids that homosexuality is wrong because the kid my be gay and that could cause them problems, I can accept that.

All kids are effected by societal homophobia to some extent, not just gay ones.

Abuse? The fuck are you smoking?

Yes, it's abuse. I was abused as a child by my family, and society at large, who made me believe I was disordered and unnatural.

Do you often question abused people when they tell you they've been abused?

It's pretty disgusting behaviour.

Yes, it's abuse. I was abused as a child by my family, and society at large, who made me believe I was disordered and unnatural.

Do you often lie to make yourself feel superior?
Being a disingenuous prick is disgusting behaviour.

If, in this society, you're not disordered and unnatural then you're doing something wrong

Yet you quoted my post, and nowhere did I say it was OK to tell your child they're evil and going to burn in hell. That's the realm of paedophile priests, not normal parents.

Sadly, lots of parents do tell their children that gays will go to hell (without knowing whether or not that kid is gay). It's not uncommon (whether or not you think it normal).

Sadly, lots of parents do tell their children that gays will go to hell (without knowing whether or not that kid is gay). It's not uncommon (whether or not you think it normal).
I'm sure lots do, as I'm sure lots tell their children that being racist is OK, that vaccinations are wrong, that the earth is flat, but I doubt it's the norm, and how could it possibly be stopped? Even if these parents allow their children to attend sex education classes, it doesn't stop them instilling their own views on the children once they return home.

Aren't we just negotiating that tricky period in history, between the time when the majority of people believed in sky pixies, and the time when the majority realises it's bogus bullshit?
You know, statements like this make you look like an awful hypocrite.

Back
Top Bottom