Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

China Insists Party Elites Shed Overseas Assets, Eyeing Western Sanctions on Russia
May 19, 2022 archive.ph
The U.S. has imposed sanctions on a number of Chinese officials in recent years, including freezing any U.S.-based assets they may control, citing their alleged roles in directing rights abuses in the northwestern region of Xinjiang and suppressing civil liberties in Hong Kong. Targets included two members of the party’s 25-member Politburo, specifically Wang Chen, a senior official in China’s legislature, and Chen Quanguo, the Xinjiang party chief from 2016 to 2021.
In April, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman said she hoped Beijing “takes the right lessons out of the Russia-Ukraine crisis,” suggesting that the West would impose heavy sanctions on China should it use military force against the democratically self-governed island of Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its territory. Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Le Yucheng insisted that “China won’t be scared” by the threat of sanctions similar to those applied against Russia.
“What kind of storms haven’t we weathered in the more than 70 years since the founding of ‘new China,’” Mr. Le told a forum. “Not only has China not collapsed, but it is still thriving and developing at a rapid speed. What else should we be afraid of?”

Odd reportage style but informative

the thread title is 'let's talk about china' not 'let's post up loads of links with no discussion of their relevance'

My in-laws are still having to queue up for daily covid tests in Tianjin. My wife, who's not given to conspiracism, is convinced that a new era of authoritarianism and control is coming in and seems to have abandoned hope of returning to China anytime soon. Partly because she wouldn't be able to take our son at the moment but she thinks that the current ban on 'all but essential' travel will be expanded and extended rather than removed in future years.

My in-laws are still having to queue up for daily covid tests in Tianjin. My wife, who's not given to conspiracism, is convinced that a new era of authoritarianism and control is coming in and seems to have abandoned hope of returning to China anytime soon. Partly because she wouldn't be able to take our son at the moment but she thinks that the current ban on 'all but essential' travel will be expanded and extended rather than removed in future years.
Will be interesting to how Pooh's year goes

Beijing should seize Apple's iPhone chipmaker in Taiwan if US sanctions China, top Chinese economist says
businessinsider. Weilun Soon. Jun 8, 2022
"Especially when we're talking about production and supply chains, we must seize corporations that rightfully belong to China, such as TSMC," Chen added, referring to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the chip manufacturer that Apple relies on for its iPhones. TSMC is expected to make $17 billion in revenue this year from Apple alone, according to MacRumors.

"TSMC is speeding up its transfer to the US with six factories planned in America. We must not allow it to achieve its aim," she said.

In May last year, Reuters reported that TSMC was looking to build as many as six plants in the US. TSMC's spokesperson confirmed to Insider that "Phase One" of its US-based production plan was in motion.

Interesting commentator, certainly. Politically a long way from “urbans” but telling it as he sees it imo.
Always get that impression too.

Usually has some interesting insights and I'd rather hear them than some white monkey

Last edited:

Looks impressive that new carrier Im not that up on military technology but they seem to be stepping up spending and the speed with which they seem to be able to manufacture new ships , naval technology and hypersonic missiles etc is impressive but frightening considering current world situation and U.S.A , U.K etc spending down and using its own missiles , stockpiles etc elsewhere
I do find it obvious propaganda though how whenever U.S.A military spending produces a new 100,000-ton aircraft carrier they are warships to be feared yet when China releases a new 80,000-ton its just too big and easy target to destroy or its military technology is always inferior :hmm:
The days of Chinese built meant it all being poor and cheap quality have gone all seems crazy though big ship spending if as we are now being told as in Ukraine future warfare win is in tiny drones but I expect there's a few thousand of those locked up in China warehouses with the cheap unsold dvd players and phone cases now :) , things are changing fast sure they can still mass produce cheap copies or tat but thats not all they can do some of the quality , reliability of Chinese robotics and automation machinery I see regular in manufacturing impresses me
Firstly, the Fujian likely won't be operational for another three to four years, said Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain and former director of operations at the US Pacific Command's Joint Intelligence Center. And even when it is operational, its size will make it an obvious target -- any enemy will be keenly aware that sinking such an iconic vessel would be as much of a morale blow as a military disaster for China.

Last edited:
Looks impressive that new carrier Im not that up on military technology but they seem to be stepping up spending and the speed with which they seem to be able to manufacture new ships , naval technology and hypersonic missiles etc is impressive but frightening considering current world situation and U.S.A , U.K etc spending down and using its own missiles , stockpiles etc elsewhere
I do find it obvious propaganda though how whenever U.S.A military spending produces a new 100,000-ton aircraft carrier they are warships to be feared yet when China releases a new 80,000-ton its just too big and easy target to destroy or its military technology is always inferior :hmm:
The days of Chinese built meant it all being poor and cheap quality have gone all seems crazy though big ship spending if as we are now being told as in Ukraine future warfare win is in tiny drones but I expect there's a few thousand of those locked up in China warehouses with the cheap unsold dvd players and phone cases now :) , things are changing fast sure they can still mass produce cheap copies or tat but thats not all they can do some of the quality , reliability of Chinese robotics and automation machinery I see regular in manufacturing impresses me
Napoleon onboard the Bellerophon springs to mind. Though if the US and China DID have a hot war, relationally I think it would be the US that resorts to nukes first given manufacturing base and sheer numbers of people. give China advantage in a long conventional one. Though current availability of microchips is also a factor

The commentary of the Henan rural banks is useless even when a lot of what they say is "true"- on the one hand this massive scandal is of course revealing of all sorts of problems but they show no understanding of the centre/provincial dynamic and seem to have missed that the state banking apparatus has begun compensation payments to bank customers, anything lower than CNY50000 paid in full, those who had more than that get the 50000 for now while they do whatever it is they're doing.
Only dipped into the other one, but he started off on local government finance; they've been bankrupt for at least two decades already and it's all still muddling forward, so clearly while this might really really be the end, maybe not.
Liberal commentary on the Chinese economy needs to be read bearing in mind how flawed "economics" is as a tool of political economic analysis, which is why state power has chugged on through crisis after crisis in the post-reform era and is probably more legitimate now in the public mind than at any point since.
I mostly steer clear of this thread because once you start going on about it it's hard to stop, but honestly 99% of "China hand" commentary is a waste of space in anything outside of narrower frameworks such as whether you should invest in x widget industries or whatever they actually know; as futurology and whither the CCP and its power, not so much.

This guy keeps popping up in my YouTube feed. Is he a reliable commentator?

He does have some understanding and has lived in China for a long time. His older videos were quite informative, politically neutral stories about everyday life in China which generally had a positive spin - however as the political environment changed, anything short of gushing praise became unacceptable and he was increasingly harassed and threatened by nationalists online and in real life, and eventually fled the country because he was tipped off that some officials were gunning for him. After that his videos become more political and all the frustrations he couldn't express before came out in a flood.

Most of what he says is in good faith, however he does definitely have an axe to grind so does go a bit overboard sometimes too. He certainly has more integrity that any of the white monkey China YouTubers doing propaganda for beer money though, but that isn't hard.

OK, that's twice I've seen the term "white monkey" used, and I'm still not certain what it means.

The commentary of the Henan rural banks is useless even when a lot of what they say is "true"- on the one hand this massive scandal is of course revealing of all sorts of problems but they show no understanding of the centre/provincial dynamic and seem to have missed that the state banking apparatus has begun compensation payments to bank customers, anything lower than CNY50000 paid in full, those who had more than that get the 50000 for now while they do whatever it is they're doing.
Only dipped into the other one, but he started off on local government finance; they've been bankrupt for at least two decades already and it's all still muddling forward, so clearly while this might really really be the end, maybe not.
Liberal commentary on the Chinese economy needs to be read bearing in mind how flawed "economics" is as a tool of political economic analysis, which is why state power has chugged on through crisis after crisis in the post-reform era and is probably more legitimate now in the public mind than at any point since.
I mostly steer clear of this thread because once you start going on about it it's hard to stop, but honestly 99% of "China hand" commentary is a waste of space in anything outside of narrower frameworks such as whether you should invest in x widget industries or whatever they actually know; as futurology and whither the CCP and its power, not so much.
Would be nice if thats ALL customers not just CCP members. After all, just means running the printing presses a bit longer (careful now).

Understand your personal frustrations, and given where you live probably wiser to stay off it. Interesting times though. Stay safe, JimW

Would be nice if thats ALL customers not just CCP members. After all, just means running the printing presses a bit longer (careful now).

Understand your personal frustrations, and given where you live probably wiser to stay off it. Interesting times though. Stay safe, JimW
Struck me that the compensation bar means by and large your local regular bank customer would be getting all or most of their savings back, while anyone with a spare 50000 to invest in higher interest somewhat grey market out-of-province financial institutions is the last demographic who'll be looking to overthrow the state as they're the cohort who's got rich along with the insiders.

Struck me that the compensation bar means by and large your local regular bank customer would be getting all or most of their savings back, while anyone with a spare 50000 to invest in higher interest somewhat grey market out-of-province financial institutions is the last demographic who'll be looking to overthrow the state as they're the cohort who's got rich along with the insiders.
Fingers crossed.

Beidaihe is going to be interesting.

OK, that's twice I've seen the term "white monkey" used, and I'm still not certain what it means.
Same here but I used google.

White monkey is a term used to refer to the phenomenon of white foreigners or immigrants in China being hired for modeling, advertising, English teaching, or promotional jobs on the basis of their race.[1][2] The phenomenon is based on the perception that association with foreigners, specifically white foreigners, can signify prestige, legitimacy, and international status.[2][3][4] The jobs themselves, called "white monkey jobs" or "face jobs",[5] often require little actual work on the part of the model, who in some cases is not expected to be fluent in Chinese.[6][4] The concept is considered a subset of a larger "rent a foreigner" industry in China and parts of Asia.[2][7]

White monkey jobs are often related to marketing and advertising. The "white monkey" may be hired to act as an associate of an individual[2] or pose as an authoritative figure to promote a brand or company, and businesses will occasionally hire these individuals to pose as a founder or executive.[1][4][7]

While the concept is less viable in larger urban areas with more international exposure,[1] the practice is common in smaller urban centers and rural areas,[3] especially those trying to expand or attract real-estate attention by feigning an international presence.[7]

The concept of white monkey was covered in the documentary Dream Empire.

For at least the past 2000 years, China has been the world's most populous country, says Paul Morland in the Daily Telegraph. But not for much longer. Owing to China's sub replacement fertility rate (of 1.15 children per woman) India will, in the next 18 months, seize its crown. People blame China's one child policy for its demographic decline; but while this nasty piece of political coercion did not help fertility rates were falling in China before it was introduced, and its abandonment has not reversed what is proving to be a broad trend. Now, with the number of young people plummeting as the number of old people shoots up, the country will soon run short of the workers it needs to keep its economy going. When Japan, a much richer nation, faced a similar crisis it led to decades of economic stagnation. And China hasn't the option of inviting in armies of migrants to fill the gap. It is too poor to attract the vast number a country of its size would need. Populations are ageing and declining across the world, but the problems this creates are set to hit China at a speed and scale "unprecedented in world history"

Back
Top Bottom