Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

Ahhhh yes.

But you see, that was yesterday and this is today.

Apparently trying to keep a pledge that Shanghai would not face a full-city Lockdown, authorities have announced that the city will be Locked down in two halves.

The first half (the Pudong etc. half,) will go into Lockdown from 5am on Monday 28/03/22 until 5am on Friday 01/04/22. Then the Puxi half of the city will enter Lockdown from 5am on Friday 01/04/22 until 5am on Tuesday 05/04/22.

Everyone stays at home during Lockdowns. All residents will be PCR tested (approximately 28 million residents).

Events, dear boy, events!

;)

Woof

But what do you think?
(temp taken off ignore to reply). I think, that I started raising Mischief reef 20 years ago and it was like pushing string. Then was the right time to do something. How is its worked out, (China has taken the piss, and rather than dell on the I told you so) that its probably to dangerous to do anything about...however ...Chinese constuction standards, and South China sean weather, reckon will sort itself out, firsth direct hit by typoons and these things are gone.

(temp taken off ignore to reply). I think, that I started raising Mischief reef 20 years ago and it was like pushing string. Then was the right time to do something. How is its worked out, (China has taken the piss, and rather than dell on the I told you so) that its probably to dangerous to do anything about...however ...Chinese constuction standards, and South China sean weather, reckon will sort itself out, firsth direct hit by typoons and these things are gone.
You still have the auld magic :thumbs:

They have totally lost it.

As an aside, those 'quarantine cages' look pretty identical to the ones in Australia.

Food riots in Shanghai due to poorly implemented lockdowns.

They can't give up the zero covid effort without Xi losing a lot of face, as he has made zero covid a central plank of his propaganda and proof of the system's superiority, also they told everyone that foreign vaccines are dangerous and rely on the highly ineffective Sinovac.

Not sure how far they will double down before being forced to change course.

Interesting background for Xi being sworn in for a third term later this year.

China's zero-Covid policy risks crop planting delays and food shortages

Shortages of fertiliser, labour and seed - agricultural workers trapped in city lockdowns and then in 14 day quarantine when they arrive at farm destination.
According to official data, as many as a third of farmers in northeastern Jilin, Liaoning and Heilongjiang provinces have insufficient agricultural inputs after authorities sealed off villages to fight the pandemic. The three provinces account for more than 20 per cent of China’s grain production.

According to estimates by analysts at Nomura, at least 23 Chinese cities with a combined population of more than 190mn people were currently enforcing full or partial lockdowns.

archived here: archive.ph
Today's dead trees version has this additional worrying paragraph:
The spring planting problems come as the war in Ukraine has stopped shipments of corn, an important livestock feed, to China. Ukraine has been shipping corn to China since 2013 and became its top overseas supplier two years later, according to data from the International Trade Centre.

I'd have thought that if China were to make allowances in their anti-Covid strategy for anyone, it would be the agricultural workers who keep everyone in the country fed. Apparently not? So who do they think is going to be doing the crops right about now?

I'd have thought that if China were to make allowances in their anti-Covid strategy for anyone, it would be the agricultural workers who keep everyone in the country fed. Apparently not? So who do they think is going to be doing the crops right about now?
I expect they will, agricultural policy has a high priority and profile and they've been publishing the puff stories about spring planting already. Some bureaucrat has not thought it through but there'll be a last minute adjustment would be my bet, and given the workers haven't got any other options expect they'll still be available once allowed to travel.

Details of thousands of detained Uyghurs have been leaked.

The leaked list details each prisoner's name, birthdate, ethnicity, ID number, charge, address, sentence length, and prison.

It has not been possible to independently verify the authenticity of the database.

But AFP has interviewed five Uyghurs living outside China who identified detained relatives and acquaintances on the list.

For some it was the first information they have been able to access about their relatives in years.

Hundreds were detained from each township and village, the database shows, often many from the same household.

China database reveals the thousands detained in Xinjiang

A HK friend has decided to leave at last - going to try Dubai or maybe the UK.

He's convinced that Xi Jinping is about to launch some kind of Cultural Revolution 2.0.

He's an exec recruitment consultant so he's well connected to lots of very wealthy mainlanders - the rumours on this sort of stuff are coming from them.

Apparently a big brain-drain has also kicked off from the mainland - lots and lots of very talented Chinese folks leaving for more liberal options.

The crackdown on freedoms is extraordinary. Especially the passport situation.

It's the education system reforms that might cause the most trouble though. Stopping Chinese society from accessing education is a very risky business for the powers that be.

Back
Top Bottom