Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

Some not so festive and not so surprising "news"

US and Japan draw up joint military plan in case of Taiwan emergency – report

In October, Japan’s government signalled a more assertive position on China’s aggressive posture towards self-ruled Taiwan, suggesting it would consider options and prepare for “various scenarios”, while reaffirming close US ties.

Earlier this month, former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe said Japan and the US could not stand by if China attacked Taiwan.

US officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, have long said that given the tens of thousands of troops the US has in Japan and its proximity to Taiwan, Japan would likely have to play an important role in any Taiwan emergency.

Japan is host to major US military bases, including on the southern island of Okinawa, a short flight from Taiwan, which would be crucial for any US support during a Chinese attack.

ACG article on the recent clamp down :

I think there are definitely people within the Communist Party getting cold feet about Xi's approach.

IMO Xi and his neo-authoritarian acolytes are imbeciles who didn't realise that China was on the receiving end of exceptional good will from the US and the wider world during the Deng - Jiang - Hu eras, due in part to the faith that China would eventually turn into a large Japan and friendly partner after joining the WTO.

All they saw is China getting stronger and stronger and thought "why can't we call the shots now? Our system is better than democracy". They really thought that all the minor compromises made by foreign companies to enter the Chinese market were foreigners begging to pay tribute to glorious China, and that the editorials in foreign media criticising austerity policies after 2008 by contrasting to how China evaded serious impact through Keynesian policies was evidence that the entire world was envious of China's political system and would rush to look to them if they only stepped forward. They also believed that the US political system was 100% in thrall to Wall Street who were making money from China, and therefore nothing would ever change.

They were winning the argument in 2016, with Trump, Brexit, European refugee crisis and terrorism wave, and I think the vast majority of the Chinese political class got on board around that time. Hence bolder moves like Hong Kong and the emergence of Wolf Warrior diplomats.

But now there does seem to be evidence that doubts are creeping in. The US hasn't collapsed and has been growing faster than China some quarters. The economic outlook for China is increasingly obviously bleak and the country is becoming increasingly isolated.

I think many are beginning to understand that Xi overplayed his hand badly and that there is urgent need for rapprochement.

Even some of the key intellectual figures of China's neo-authoritarian wave are starting to publicly express doubts, warning that China must stop US decoupling at any costs, including accepting a humiliating step-down:

However Xi is also very powerful and there isn't any indication of an organised opposition to him, other than occasional grumblings appearing in public.

I think a lot is riding on the Winter Olympics - there are already diplomatic boycotts, but if it becomes a humiliating farce, with foreign athletes protesting, treated badly, contracting covid, or against a backdrop of disastrous Omicron outbreaks in a country which has refused to get effective vaccines purely for propaganda purposes (the lockdown in Xian has been a disaster with widespread reports of food shortages and people going hungry), then it could turn quiet grumbling about Xi's impractical nationalism into a consensus that he should not be allowed to serve a third term, and a new administration could try to ease tensions with the US and repair damage to international relations more generally while pinning all the blame on Xi, or, perhaps more likely, on some other official.

But if they manage to turn the Olympics into a propaganda victory, at least domestically, it could go the other way. I never thought they would be able to spin the emergence of Covid in Wuhan into a nationalistic narrative and somehow blaming foreigners for it but they managed it.

That’s an interesting off-ramp that you have described. There are also some serious structural economic issues in the offing which are a source of a lot of potential spanners in the works.

I never thought they would be able to spin the emergence of Covid in Wuhan into a nationalistic narrative and somehow blaming foreigners for it but they managed it.

Only domestically and that was only possible through their tightly controlled media and internet. Nobody outside the controls of the CCP is buying their narrative that it’s a foreign import.

Only domestically and that was only possible through their tightly controlled media and internet. Nobody outside the controls of the CCP is buying their narrative that it’s a foreign import.
I think they have muddied the water enough that on covid origins, probably best not to dwell. Nobody benefits, and it doesn't help anything

That’s an interesting off-ramp that you have described. There are also some serious structural economic issues in the offing which are a source of a lot of potential spanners in the works.
Yeah, that too - I think the sense of triumphalism from 5 years ago has started to fade and there's a bit of an "oh shit" moment. I think some people were expected to have overtaken the US as the leading superpower by now through a few audacious moves, but that is looking increasingly distant.

There are also a lot of people - a LOT - who have thoroughly drank the kool aid and are in denial about it. Or at least, they are unable or unwilling to see how Xi's government miscalculated by overestimating China's hand and misunderstanding the nature of their international relationships, and simply see it as other countries trying to attack China and keep them down.

I hope that the neo-authoritarians cannot survive the triumphalist bubble popping and we get some detente and a relaxation of Chinese censorship and ideological orthodoxy, but I'm also afraid that they can transform it into a ultra-nationalist politics of grievance and siege mentality - in which case, things could get really fucked.

Yeah, that too - I think the sense of triumphalism from 5 years ago has started to fade and there's a bit of an "oh shit" moment. I think some people were expected to have overtaken the US as the leading superpower by now through a few audacious moves, but that is looking increasingly distant.

There are also a lot of people - a LOT - who have thoroughly drank the kool aid and are in denial about it. Or at least, they are unable or unwilling to see how Xi's government miscalculated by overestimating China's hand and misunderstanding the nature of their international relationships, and simply see it as other countries trying to attack China and keep them down.

I hope that the neo-authoritarians cannot survive the triumphalist bubble popping and we get some detente and a relaxation of Chinese censorship and ideological orthodoxy, but I'm also afraid that they can transform it into a ultra-nationalist politics of grievance and siege mentality - in which case, things could get really fucked.
Agrred. Think the collapse of the property market there is going to hurt

Also, going off on a slight tangent, the failure of Battle of Lake Changjin internationally is also quite significant.

The China-Hollywood partnership has been used primarily by Chinese media companies to acquire technical knowhow and the ability to make movies with Hollywood-style production values. They seem to have become satisfied that they have achieved this objective and have recently been giving Hollywood the cold shoulder, refusing to allow movies specifically made to appeal to the Chinese market to be screened in China, e.g. Marvels Shang Chi movie.

They had some minor success with The Wandering Earth in particular and also Wolf Warrior and Operation Red Sea.

They had very high hopes for war movie Battle of Lake Changjin to do better than Wolf Warrior and pulled out all the stops for a blockbuster war movie experience with some of the most celebrated Chinese directors like Chen Kaige (Farewell My Concubine) involved.

Here is a story in 3 acts to see how that went:

Overseas audiences excited about China's war epic released in the UK - Global Times

Overseas audiences excited about China's war epic released in the UK

By Global TimesPublished: Nov 20, 2021 11:19 AM

Trinity Cine Asia released China's war epic "The Battle at Lake Changjin" in cinemas across the UK and Ireland on Friday. The film is currently the highest-grossing title in China as well as in the world so far in 2021, having earned more than 5.62 billion yuan ($879million) since its premiere in China on September 30, according to figures reported by the Xinhua News Agency.

"It's a privilege for us to be able to release the biggest box office story of 2021, when cinemas are just seeing the first real shoots of recovery," said Trinity Cine Asia co-founder and director Cedric Behrel on November 12.

"'Battle at Lake Changjin' presents a fresh viewpoint which hasn't been seen before, reframing the war film narrative we're used to seeing, but with production values to match Hollywood," Behrel said. "The film falls into the war film template of decisive battles that changed the course of history. It has hit a particular nerve with Chinese audiences ̶ maybe because most popular war films are made from a Hollywood or American perspective [such as those about] the Vietnam War."

Jointly directed by Chen Kaige, Hark Tsui and Dante Lam, "The Battle at Lake Changjin" is set during the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea (1950-53), the Chinese participation in the Korean War, and tells the story of Chinese People's Volunteers soldiers fighting bravely in freezing temperatures in a key campaign at Lake Changjin, or Chosin Reservoir.

The story of young warriors willing to risk it all to defend their motherland against the world's best-equipped army, despite a lack of food and warm clothing amid the bitter cold, has moved many moviegoers to tears.

The Times commented on October 4 that "The world's highest-grossing film does not involve James Bond or a Marvel superhero but is a tub-thumping Chinese war epic that revels in a rare victory over America."

Kelly Wang, an international student studying at the University of Leeds, told the Global Times that after watching the film, she went back to school and recalled this period of history with her roommates in the UK. She thought it was a major step forward for Chinese films, which not only proved the perseverance and persistence of Chinese soldiers, but also gave people around the world an opportunity to re-learn and reflect on history.

"It's no longer the time when Westerners decide most of the content of history," Wang noted.

Actual performance of the movie internationally was significantly worse than Wolf Warrior and the others it hoped to build on.

Worldwide gross was $902,541,161.

Of which, China accounted for $899,400,000 and Hong Kong accounted for $2,596,393.

So really we're talking half a million gross internationally.

In the UK, it was the 154th highest ranking movie of the year, and was watched no more widely than the low budget Icelandic horror, Lamb.

Cue rage from "blogs" (really state media in disguise):

Some European and American netizens think that "Changjin Lake" is too long and unfriendly to the audience, and the American actors in the film are also relatively dull.

There are even many European and American netizens who believe that China fabricated the fact of victory or defeat in this battle, in order to make a film to promote itself in order to give money to itself.

This view is really ridiculous!

Judging from their feedback alone, it also reflects their double standards. After all, only American superheroes are qualified to export American values with super film lengths, and only Americans are qualified to influence the world with culture.

Chinese people have expressed their indignation over the experience of "Changjin Lake" abroad. In the field of film, the domestic development is indeed relatively late. Compared with Europe and the United States, there is still a big gap. In recent years, although there have been many excellent works, it is difficult to shake the global influence of European and American culture in any aspect. It is very difficult for "Changjin Lake" to be recognized by European and American audiences in terms of values. For example, when "Wolf Warriors 2" was released abroad, the box office was only 2.72 million U.S. dollars, which might be even lower if you exclude a large number of Chinese and foreign students watching.

Perhaps the film "Changjin Lake" is not perfect and has its flaws, but it is undeniable that this is the best performing film in the world this year at the box office, and it is also a film that exports the Chinese value system.

Even if you are caught in the cold abroad now, you shouldn't ridicule, because the people of the country should be self-improvement!
Now that "Changjin Lake" is going overseas to promote Chinese culture, we should do our best to support it. Do you think it's right?

I just ran some of it through Google translate but the tone comes across as much angrier and more forthright in the original Chinese IMO.

What stings even more is that after heavily pushing Battle of Lake Changjin to be a box office success - helped by tricks like limiting release of foreign films, heavy state-directed promotion, compulsory school trips, taking entire government departments to see it, and cinemas incentivized or pressured to fiddle the Box Office figures (e.g. if someone paid to see a foreign film, they'd print a ticket for a Chinese political film and just write the name of the foreign film on the back of the stub, so you can see the film you chose but the money goes to the Chinese film) - it actually had the mantle of highest grossing movie of 2021 stolen at the last minute by the new Spiderman movie, which was not allowed for release in China.

This means that China has effectively burned bridges with Hollywood too early - with all the investment, they are still incapable of matching their international success of the early 00s with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hero, or the critical success of the 90s with early award winning movies by Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige. So they have actually regressed in terms of soft power, whilst South Korea has leapt miles ahead of them with hits like Parasite and Squid Game, and not only that, but Spiderman has proved to Hollywood that they don't need the Chinese market and attempts to cater to it frequently backfire, and by spurning Hollywood too early they are no longer going to benefit from the indirect soft power of Hollywood trying to curry their favour and they might actually get films where the Chinese are the bad guys now.

This isn't how the script was supposed to go, and calls into question their ability to become a cultural superpower to rival the USA. I think the role of the tightening censorship and political control and declining international success in cinema despite investment will not be lost on at least some people, particularly within the arts. This is again a contrast to the confidence of 2016.

Good article about the China-Hollywood divorce here:

Last edited:
I have been thinking that stuff like this might have a little knock on effect Evergrande shares rise as they resume trading after suspension

"The developer is struggling to repay more than $300bn in liabilities by selling assets and shares. Nearly $20bn of international market bonds were deemed to be in cross-default by ratings firms last month after the company missed payments."
Dead cat bounce.....If the average apartment costs over40X average salary and most you can get is an 80 year lease, and China already has more empty apartments than the rest of the world combined. The fundamentals are fucked and when the music stopped it looked like a massive Ponsi scheme

slightly confused as to how they think the Winter Olympics will go. iirc only interlopers will be athletes and Omnichron (fun fact Xi comes before omnichron). You know the bloke who devolped a load of vaccines that don't work aganist omnichron.

I can't see the Olympics going that well if they think they're gonna stick to zero Covid, 10's of 1000's coming in, just the athletes and their teams, from all over the world, it's gonna be rampant.

I can't see the Olympics going that well if they think they're gonna stick to zero Covid, 10's of 1000's coming in, just the athletes and their teams, from all over the world, it's gonna be rampant.
Sadly agree. However would you download the Digital RMB app cos you saw Eddie the Eagle or someone whose chosen to make a living sitting on a teatray buy a McDonald's with it? Also Visa must be doing their nut -don't they usually do a marketing tie in with olympics?

Last edited:

They sealed off the "bubble" all Olympics-related workers, officials etc. will be in a few days ago - if they're lucky they might get to see their families again by April.

I would imagine putin and xi would want to coordinate the attacks to happen at exactly the same time forcing the US to choose which to focus on (Taiwan). Leave Europe to deal with Ukraine. Psychologically I think the US has already given up on Eastern Europe

Back
Top Bottom