Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leaving cooked food out of the fridge.

I sprinkled yeast flakes on today's portion and stirred in a bit of milled flaxseed ...
I will have to get a measuring scoop ...

Should add, I had really bad food poisoning once which was the stuff of nightmares and left me in a weakened state for several months, so I do tend to be cautious as I never want to repeat that. I don't leave cooked food out and I don't reaheat stuff repeatedly.

pogofish nearly died after eating dodgy rice that had been left out.

In recent times my laziness means that I only used microwave rice so no spores ...
If I do start adding grain to my diet to fuel exercise, I may cook it from scratch - though I like the idea of doubling my bread consumption.

pogofish nearly died after eating dodgy rice that had been left out.

I don’t know about serious risk of death - at least once I was taken in to hospital where they got me back on an even keel pretty quickly but I was very sick, with my kidneys sending out very painful warning shots and one of my testicles swollen to about the size of a grapefruit - although the medics weren’t too worried about that and said it could easily be whipped-out if needed…! :eek:

I also had a fairly rough time over the next year to eighteen months after as the effects of secondary toxins associated with that form of e-coli kept coming back and setting me back more or less whenever I felt/thought I was finally over it. More tiredness, joint/muscle pains, shivers and generally feeling shit compared to full on food poisoning though.

I’d been for a weekend in London and eaten rice on two occasions, one in a situation apparently well known as a big red light for this particular form of e-coli in rice, so they never pinned the exact source.

Last edited:
I remember talking to an American woman in a bar at a conference who espoused frying and eating afterbirth . Which was er... nice.
It used to be very much a thing. Placenta is very rich in iron, and a lot of women used to be severely anaemic post-partum, often largely because childbirth was often accompanied by severe blood loss.

Which brings us fairly neatly back on-topic, at least as far as the consumption of apparently-disgusting food substances is concerned :D

It used to be very much a thing. Placenta is very rich in iron, and a lot of women used to be severely anaemic post-partum, often largely because childbirth was often accompanied by severe blood loss.

Which brings us fairly neatly back on-topic, at least as far as the consumption of apparently-disgusting food substances is concerned :D
Can you eat other people's placentas?

Me too. I ate potatoes with skins on over the hostilities ...
Mind you there was also cake and custard made with no sugar ...

spuds.jpg

On the subject of placentas and fridges, after my son was born, my wife shared a hospital room with another woman. On our side of the room was a fridge which I unplugged since we were only putting water in there and I wanted to use the socket. What I hadn't realized was that this was in fact a shared fridge and upon leaving the other person pulled out a plastic container from the (unplugged) fridge containing what I can only assume was a fresh placenta, leaving me worried that I had ruined their once in a lifetime meal.

Back
Top Bottom