Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leaving cooked food out of the fridge.

Broccoli was on offer in Aldi, so since I have a fridge, I'm adding one head each day along with other things - though Aldi's broccoli always seems smaller than Tesco's, but I think Tesco's is usually nearer to bursting into flower

Are you absolutely sure that reheating food repeatedly does not effect the nutritional quality of the food? I shouldn’t imagine it’s a much researched topic as its an unusual way of eating.

Are you absolutely sure that reheating food repeatedly does not effect the nutritional quality of the food? I shouldn’t imagine it’s a much researched topic as its an unusual way of eating.
it's not ideal, but I'm regularly topping up, the liquid never gets thrown out and I eat a heck of a lot .
I was worrying about portion size a while back , but I'm back to eating out of a mixing bowl ..

A head of broccoli a day seems like a lot, it's just going to be broccoli soup surely

(EDIT: Sorry, just my immediate thought on it, you eat what you like, I get fed up with broccoli quite quickly!)

A head of broccoli a day seems like a lot, it's just going to be broccoli soup surely

(EDIT: Sorry, just my immediate thought on it, you eat what you like, I get fed up with broccoli quite quickly!)
depending how careful I am it can be al dente the day I add it on top.

As I said on that thread you linked, we often leave food out on the serving plates under a mesh cover then have it again later or even the next day, which is common practice here. For example, I did some cooking wine and ginger dried tofu for lunch yesterday and then had the leftovers in my millet porridge this morning :thumbs: TBH I'm a bit like you in not caring too much about fine eating and variety but as I cook for other people too I've been forced to mix things up.

My father lived with us for the last six years of his life, he was a broccoli fanatic. We had it at least three times a week.

Since he died, neither Mrs Sas nor me can abide the stuff.

My father lived with us for the last six years of his life, he was a broccoli fanatic. We had it at least three times a week.

Since he died, neither Mrs Sas nor me can abide the stuff.

Yeah my OH always opts for broccoli, which has kind of killed it for me because we have it so often. I used to like it. Fortunately we don't eat very many "meat/fish and 2 veg" type meals but I still feel like it creeps into a disproportionate amount of meals.

I'd be more worried about the nitrates in the veg getting converted to carcinogenic nitrites and nitrosamines due to reheating.

I'd be more worried about the nitrates in the veg getting converted to carcinogenic nitrites and nitrosamines due to reheating.
a quick google suggests the "experts" got it wrong .... and apparently vitamin C offsets any effects - and that's where I actually get my vitamin C.

Broccoli and sprouts are so nutritious, I rarely bother with green beans - or anything else that might displace them in my diet.
Kale is so high in nutrients, some people consider it more as a medicine than a food.
I actually eat a lot less than I used to and my food is now all colours of the rainbow instead of just green...

I was reminded today of one reason why I use seaweed in my cooking ... iodine prevents enormous amounts of cruciferous greens messing with your thyroid .. and I think I once heard it expressed as "multiple cups of raw kale "...

By all accounts there is a record of someone with a pacemaker consuming enough sprouts to counteract the blood thinners he was prescribed ...

When I was a student I used to make a massive stew which lasted pretty much all week - or until you were fed up with it - which was about the same time. I left the pot on the stove and just used to bring it back to the boil for a few minutes every evening.

a quick google suggests the "experts" got it wrong .... and apparently vitamin C offsets any effects - and that's where I actually get my vitamin C.

Broccoli and sprouts are so nutritious, I rarely bother with green beans - or anything else that might displace them in my diet.
Kale is so high in nutrients, some people consider it more as a medicine than a food.
I actually eat a lot less than I used to and my food is now all colours of the rainbow instead of just green...

I was reminded today of one reason why I use seaweed in my cooking ... iodine prevents enormous amounts of cruciferous greens messing with your thyroid .. and I think I once heard it expressed as "multiple cups of raw kale "...

By all accounts there is a record of someone with a pacemaker consuming enough sprouts to counteract the blood thinners he was prescribed ...
Vitamin K. IIRC.

It gets quite warm in our kitchen at this time of year, if I leave a pot of cooked stuff out of the fridge overnight it can start to froth which if I am not mistaken indicates bacterial activity, not worth risking illness. I'm less wary in winter when the kitchen is cooler.

Should add, I had really bad food poisoning once which was the stuff of nightmares and left me in a weakened state for several months, so I do tend to be cautious as I never want to repeat that. I don't leave cooked food out and I don't reaheat stuff repeatedly.

Obviously it's a bit pointless cotinuing to reply as gentlegreen is basically saying he's happy with his system and nothing needs to change but...

...While reheating your stew means there will be no real nasties in it, youre losing loads of nutritional value too.

Fresh, warm healthy food made from scratch every day or two... really worth trying! Also is that your rusty filthy pan in the camping fridge? Needs a clean!!

Obviously it's a bit pointless cotinuing to reply as gentlegreen is basically saying he's happy with his system and nothing needs to change but...

...While reheating your stew means there will be no real nasties in it, youre losing loads of nutritional value too.

Fresh, warm healthy food made from scratch every day or two... really worth trying! Also is that your rusty filthy pan in the camping fridge? Needs a clean!!

This thing about losing loads of nutrients by reheating keeps coming up, and I think it’s not really accurate.

The basic nutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fats) will not be ‘lost’ or damaged by (re)heating - in fact as this is all plants, the available nutrients will be increased by the heating/cooking process, by rupturing the cell walls.

Mineral content will be unchanged (and again made more available in plant-based foods).

One of the main problems with boiling foods that contain water-soluble vitamins is that they are leached out into the cooking water and lost - in gg’s case they are eaten as part of the stew.

The other problem is heat denaturing/breaking down of vitamins (denaturing of other proteins doesn’t matter as they’re broken down into component amino acids anyway as part of digestion). This does occur, but most are reasonably stable (C and some of the Bs are the main problems) and by adding in fresh material daily this will be being mitigated. And anyway the reheating part of this isn’t going to be the main issue with thermolabile vitamins - it’s just the cooking.

Please just get a freezer.
Put your stew thing in there in daily portion lumps, job done no more gastroenteritis & the bowl you eat at the end of the week will very much resemble day ones bowl instead of being a fizzy grey mush .

Yes, I get that. Sorry, gentlegreen. I suppose I'm just fascinated (and somewhat appalled) by your diet!
No problem.
Contrary to appearances, I do make adjustments from time to time.
This thread persuaded me to fire up my fridge so I can have ice cubes .
I may still bag up half my loaves and store them close to the freezing element.

I bought some B12 yeast flakes and milled flaxseed to experiment with ...

Please just get a freezer.
Put your stew thing in there in daily portion lumps, job done no more gastroenteritis & the bowl you eat at the end of the week will very much resemble day ones bowl instead of being a fizzy grey mush .
It never has been a fizzy grey mush.
This evening will be the fourth outing of this batch.
It will get more tomatoes, pepper and broccoli ...
Add paprika or masala and how is this different from goulash or whatever ?

greymush.jpg

Last edited:
fairy nuff. i hate it when people tell me what to do too.
Just think freezers are one of the truly brilliant & useful inventions that humans have come up with and a perk of not being you know an itinerant goatherd or whatever.
Food poisoning can be very undramatic, not always obvious .

fairy nuff. i hate it when people tell me what to do too.
Just think freezers are one of the truly brilliant & useful inventions that humans have come up with and a perk of not being you know an itinerant goatherd or whatever.
Food poisoning can be very undramatic, not always obvious .
I may start doing similar using just the fridge - I do like the more intact veggies I have on the first day.
But I pile on the lightly-pickled veggies - some days between batches I just have soup, chickpeas and this ...

borderline raw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom