Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leaving cooked food out of the fridge.

Your diet is disgusting, unhealthy and potentially dangerous. Well done.
I used to stay at my grandparents' in Ireland every summer from the age of about three. They didn't have a fridge, they stored the bacon from the pig they killed in a barrel of salt, and we drank water from what was effectively a hole in the ground. We drank tea and ate cereal with milk from a cow that was milked by hand every morning. We buttered our toast that we'd toasted in front of an open fire with butter that my grandmother churned in an old butter churn and paddled with a pair of really old paddles that had likely never been washed.
My grandfather was a fucking animal. He'd come back to the house after chopping off lambs' tails and use the same knife he'd used to cut tails off the lambs to slice the bacon we were about to eat. The bacon still had hairy nipples attached to it, but we ate it, because it would have been wrong not to... and we didn't die!
I'm not saying I enjoyed the experience, but I certainly didn't judge them for the way they lived, as that would have been... Judgemental.
We managed to survive for a long time before fridges and tupperware, and I find it quite disrespectful to hear the word 'disgusting' used to describe my grandmother, who, essentially, ate in a similar way to GG. I'm not saying I'd do it the same way but I certainly wouldn't be so judgemental.

Last edited:
Have I missed there being a reason why you don’t have a fridge?
I had several over the years, broke a couple of them. I don't know what I would put in one - apart from my stew.
I'll extract the camping fridge I used once in 2007 and get some use out of it before I sell it cheap prior to moving house.
I suppose I could cook up batches of beans rather than buying canned.
If I made batches of grains, hummous or pease pudding I would end up eating too much.

I had several over the years, broke a couple of them. I don't know what I would put in one - apart from my stew.
I'll extract the camping fridge I used once in 2007 and get some use out of it before I sell it cheap prior to moving house.
I suppose I could cook up batches of beans rather than buying canned.
If I made batches of grains, hummous or pease pudding I would end up eating too much.
Ah, but then that's where you need a freezer. It's a domestic appliance slippery slope :D

Before you know it, you'll have a juicer, waffle maker, orange peeler, thing for coring pineapples, and a panini toaster...

Ah, but then that's where you need a freezer. It's a domestic appliance slippery slope :D

Before you know it, you'll have a juicer, waffle maker, orange peeler, thing for coring pineapples, and a panini toaster...
I am about to ditch the over-elaborate food processor I used once ...

Also the juicer - and strained fruit juice is so unhealthy (I had a horrendous and very expensive "innocent" smoothie habit) I'm loathe to offer it to anyone in my family - I only bought it to replace a secondhand one that I used to make (mostly) carrot and (minimal) apple - which I suppose was relatively harmless - though there's probably a point where even home made beta carotene could at the very least turn one orange .... I started putting the kilo of carrots in my stew at the suggestion of a scientist colleague - prior to that I relied on carrots in the fortified low calorie canned soup I added.

During my "fat but fit" years, I even owned a teeny deep fat fryer.

I find I need a hot plate, a kettle and a breadmaker - I also have an induction hob for stirfrying - though I haven't done one for a couple of years ...

A key reason I have no fridge is that I live 100 yards from a supermarket - though that used to get me into trouble because Linda McCartney's pies and nut cutlets come in packs of 4 - so I had to finish them over a weekend - and I would generally also buy frozen peas - which during those obese years were often stirred into instant mash - constituting my weekend diet - in addition to lots of bread and dessert ...

I've been exposed to a fairly wide range of foods over the course of my lifetime (with foie gras :p in France in 1975 probably sealing me into to something close to veganism for life)

At the moment I have settled on a diet that looks set to help me to lose a total of 1/3 of my bodyweight (120 kilos down to 80) ... I have about 10 kilos to go and lifting a 2 litre bottle of water is quite alarming when I realise I'm carrying five times that weight and volume in excess fat ...

I don't know what I will do in future - I've recently been learning about the fine details of the effect of fructose on the liver and don't rule out fasting / caloric restriction nudging me over the line into ketosis from time to time .

Weighing against that is the need for human company .... and the lifestyle I crave for the nearish future will require me to step out of my comfort zone from time to time ...

I am about to ditch the over-elaborate food processor I used once ...

Also the juicer - and strained fruit juice is so unhealthy (I had a horrendous and very expensive "innocent" smoothie habit) I'm loathe to offer it to anyone in my family - I only bought it to replace a secondhand one that I used to make (mostly) carrot and (minimal) apple - which I suppose was relatively harmless - though there's probably a point where even home made beta carotene could at the very least turn one orange .... I started putting the kilo of carrots in my stew at the suggestion of a scientist colleague - prior to that I relied on carrots in the fortified low calorie canned soup I added.

During my "fat but fit" years, I even owned a teeny deep fat fryer.

I find I need a hot plate, a kettle and a breadmaker - I also have an induction hob for stirfrying - though I haven't done one for a couple of years ...

A key reason I have no fridge is that I live 100 yards from a supermarket - though that used to get me into trouble because Linda McCartney's pies and nut cutlets come in packs of 4 - so I had to finish them over a weekend - and I would generally also buy frozen peas - which during those obese years were often stirred into instant mash - constituting my weekend diet - in addition to lots of bread and dessert ...

I've been exposed to a fairly wide range of foods over the course of my lifetime (with foie gras :p in France in 1975 probably sealing me into to something close to veganism for life)

At the moment I have settled on a diet that looks set to help me to lose a total of 1/3 of my bodyweight (120 kilos down to 80) ... I have about 10 kilos to go and lifting a 2 litre bottle of water is quite alarming when I realise I'm carrying five times that weight and volume in excess fat ...

I don't know what I will do in future - I've recently been learning about the fine details of the effect of fructose on the liver and don't rule out fasting / caloric restriction nudging me over the line into ketosis from time to time .

Weighing against that is the need for human company .... and the lifestyle I crave for the nearish future will require me to step out of my comfort zone from time to time ...
I WAS joking about the juicer, etc! :D You're right, though - juicing, effectively, extracts everything in fruit/vegetables that is less good for you, and results in throwing away all the fibrous material that turns, say, 6 oranges from a healthy food into something seriously blood sugar-unfriendly.

But...well, maybe the time will come when you find that redefining your comfort zone to something more..."conventional" might serve you well, while of course still giving you licence to stray outside it as you wish?

Because I'm not vegan, I keep dairy produce in, and that's simply not doable without a fridge, but even if I didn't, I have to say that the convenience and reduction in waste that having a fridge freezer offers is something that, frankly, they'd have to pry from my cold dead hands.

So are you willing to try making fresh food every single day with smaller quantities? It might be worth a try as a revolutionary experiment. You might actually enjoy the routine and the 'meditation' of fresh cooking and slightly different flavours. You might feel a hell of a lot better too.

Tbh maybe a freezer is even more useful than a fridge. Also might look good if youre trying to sell your house in future to have a few... basic kitchen things in the kitchen.

So are you willing to try making fresh food every single day with smaller quantities? It might be worth a try as a revolutionary experiment. You might actually enjoy the routine and the 'meditation' of fresh cooking and slightly different flavours. You might feel a hell of a lot better too.

Tbh maybe a freezer is even more useful than a fridge. Also might look good if youre trying to sell your house in future to have a few... basic kitchen things in the kitchen.
I'm not planning anything so radical, but it's dawned on me that a fridge would be useful to stop my bread going mouldy before I've finished the loaf.
But getting out the camping fridge would at least allow me to divide my stew into portions so I don't have to reheat the whole lot each time.

It's only been a problem this past week - or at least I didn't see any visible mould previously ....
I'm surprised no one has experimented with laminar flow or slight negative pressure to keep fungal spores away from bread...

None of the techniques used here kept the mould away ...

I'm surprised no one has experimented with laminar flow or slight negative pressure to keep fungal spores away from bread...
I buit a laminar fow hood for my mushroom endeavours. It cost about a grand, and uses about 900W of electricity. You'd buy a lot of bread for that money.
I've also built a UV glove box for the same purpose, but even that is 150W.

I extracted the fridge from the junk room and have plugged it in.
I'll see if I can come up with a divider to enlarge the freezing area ...

I almost certainly should have done this before, but the 2007 luxury camping experiment is something best forgotten.
fridge.jpg

gentlegreen - Is there a particular reason you don’t just cook fresh food each day :confused:
Effort / benefit analysis. But I genuinely like my food prepared simply and almost always regret adding curry powder etc ...

My stew plus tahini and pickles comes to about £3 per day for what I'm fairly confident is "excess" nutrition for minimal effort- apart from B12 - and perhaps omega 3.
If I wanted to take it further to adequate nutrition for minimum cost, doubtless I would be cooking beans from scratch and bulking fewer veggies out with grain - and shopping at Iceland rather than buying fresh veggies at Aldi ... at which point I might well find I needed to add flavourings ...
Part of my motivation is repeatedly hearing people stating that a vegan diet is expensive and complicated and needs the help of a qualified dietician...

Six months down the line, if I manage to get to my ideal BMI of around 23 - and especially as I start to focus on fitness, I'll have to find some way of supplying more calories.

Last edited:
Effort / benefit analysis. But I genuinely like my food prepared simply and almost always regret adding curry powder etc ...

My stew plus tahini and pickles comes to about £3 per day for what I'm fairly confident is "excess" nutrition for minimal effort- apart from B12 - and perhaps omega 3.
If I wanted to take it further to adequate nutrition for minimum cost, doubtless I would be cooking beans from scratch and bulking fewer veggies out with grain - and shopping at Iceland rather than buying fresh veggies at Aldi ... at which point I might well find I needed to add flavourings ...
Part of my motivation is repeatedly hearing people stating that a vegan diet is expensive and complicated and needs the help of a qualified dietician...

Six months down the line, if I manage to get to my ideal BMI of around 23 - and especially as I start to focus on fitness, I'll have to find some way of supplying more calories.
Fair enough, but you seem to view food as nothing more than a maths equation, rather than something to be enjoyed?

so - you use a fridge when you go camping but not at home?
That was 2007.
Apart from 2009 when my brother and SIL took me with them to the Gower, that's my last (somewhat disastrous) holiday - though there were a few overnight cycle camping trips to disappointing places like Wookey Hole with people I barely knew.

I live alone and have no social life - not by choice
Holidays, like food and many other things in life make more sense shared ... I frequently ended the year at work with untaken leave - and my 8 months of retirement has been difficult - especially recently.

nothing wrong with it, I just never had you down as somebody who'd take a fridge when going camping; I certainly haven't and probably won't

nothing wrong with it, I just never had you down as somebody who'd take a fridge when going camping; I certainly haven't and probably won't
It was just the once.
I had a car.
I bought a family tent, furniture, - I even took my wireless remote-controlled lighting ...
Part of it was that I have always lived in somewhat chaotic conditions and it meant I could spend a week or two uncluttered ...

To underline the futility of it all, I chose to camp near Lands End when the red flags were up on the beach apart from one day and the weather was so bad I couldn't use my gas stove and had to buy a microwave ... the wind destroyed my tent before I could finish taking it down - and then the bedroom compartment and groundsheet were ruined by rats ...

That was 2007.
Apart from 2009 when my brother and SIL took me with them to the Gower, that's my last (somewhat disastrous) holiday - though there were a few overnight cycle camping trips to disappointing places like Wookey Hole with people I barely knew.

I live alone and have no social life - not by choice
Holidays, like food and many other things in life make more sense shared ... I frequently ended the year at work with untaken leave - and my 8 months of retirement has been difficult - especially recently.
Time to make some friends :) And you can’t do that without leaving the house. So best get some social hobbies (walking group? Yoga? Musical instrument? Choir? etc). Or maybe join a voluntary group (BTCV? Food bank? etc).

Back
Top Bottom