Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kate Bush Running up that hill

I think this is something we can all get behind:
1655589812960-png.327873

View attachment 327873
And this is why she is Tory filth

Maybe "bands" by which I think you mean guitar rock as a genre has run out of ideas after all these years?
Or
...solo artists, which seem to be the only kinds of acts able to shine through to the point of megastardom in the new musical economy (suspect this is because the new ways they shine through is via mediums like Instagram & tiktok, which are much more attuned to solo artists than bands).

Guitar rock in terms of youth pop appeal is tired..biggest UK pop act right now is probably Dave. That's not tictoc that's a change in tastes

It’s her best song, so its all fine with me that it’s suddenly number 1 rather than the latest mediocre rubbish.

I also have this memory that despite its success, the song and album were really poorly promoted at the time of first release, maybe because of Bush's well recorded reticence for publicity/performance but also because it was already out of step with the chart fodder of the mid 80s and because it was released during the Thorn/EMI era when the company was heading towards going belly-up at quite some rate - although the record/music division managed to survive after finally demerging before Thorn dragged it under.

In the years since, one of the other reasons it got continued media exposure was in those "worst of TOTP"-type programmes because her outing on TOTP with it was to say the least a bit bizarre!

It has also been used as a theme on TV before - sports programmes maybe?

Guitar rock in terms of youth pop appeal is tired..biggest UK pop act right now is probably Dave. That's not tictoc that's a change in tastes
Don't know how you're defining youth but you'll see plenty of young people (as in 16 upwards) still getting excited by guitar led bands.

Don't know how you're defining youth but you'll see plenty of young people (as in 16 upwards) still getting excited by guitar led bands.
of course! theres still an audience - but the measure was new bands headlining glastonbury

It's all agorithmic these days. Doesn't depend on people actually buying music. Kate Bush is top because they suddenly changed a rule which penalised old songs, and they did that so there'd be a, 'this thing is top of the charts' story to remind people that charts exist.

Well, in that case I’m changing my answer to “IT’S AN OUTRAGE!!!” :mad: :mad: :mad:

I read they are changing how the charts work as they were skewed to new releases, but now its pure streaming numbers. Iirc new releases got a 700% boost in points, but now it's like for like.

I think Kate would still have hit no1 when with the handicap though.

Its means Mr Brightside will literally never leave the top 40, since its release

Making a lot of money out of her art does not automatically make her a Tory. I have no idea what her political leanings are - Tory or otherwise - but do not think that is automatically connected to how much money she makes from her music.

If she is indeed a Tory supporter, that would not have any impact on the quality of her music.

I know that Adele has in the past come out as a Tory supporter. I can deplore her self-interested politics whilst still enjoying some of her music.

Whatever Kate Bush's politics may be I am a fan of hers because of her music and not her politics.

I also do not think that being wealthy automatically makes someone a bad person. Marcus Rashford is something of an example here.

And one of my very best friends is a wealthy lady who works high up in the pharmaceutical industry. We often disagree on politics but she has a heart of gold when it comes to using her money to help people out.

Always liked the video for Army Dreamers
It was blacklisted during the Gulf War.

She sang about some pretty racy, dark and controversial topics when you think about it.

Don't think she is, you know.

Diehard fans who had spent years diligently listening to her progressive, challenging music were confused – but there was elation when she clarified three years after the event that she was not a Tory after all. She was apparently so horrified by the rumours that she couldn’t go another day without telling the world that she did not support the Conservative party.

Here are her actual words lifted from that link...

Answering a question about Hillary Clinton and “the fear of women’s power”, she said: “We have a female prime minister here in the UK. I actually really like her and think she’s wonderful. I think it’s the best thing that’s happened to us in a long time. She’s a very intelligent woman but I don’t see much to fear.

“I will say it is great to have a woman in charge of the country. She’s very sensible and I think that’s a good thing at this point in time.”

She was clearly bigging up the fact that we had a female prime minister, but regarded her as the best thing that had happened to us in a very long time and thought of her as highly intelligent and that we had little to fear. Clearly this at the very least suggests a lack of understanding about what Tory government actually means for millions of people. Nevertheless, she may be one of these non-ideological people that doesn't actually judge leaders on their actual policies. We encounter such types all the time.

However, it matters not to me. I am a fan of her for her music not her politics. She is not a politician seeking to legislate over me or seeking my vote. Nor does she go out of her way to tell me what to think, like the highly hypocritical tax dodger Bono is prone to do.

She sang about some pretty racy, dark and controversial topics when you think about it.
Indeed. The song Breathe was essentially about breathing in and out the atomised and vaporised remains of your loved ones following a nuclear attack.

And as an aside, she also choreograhed her own unique dance routines for shows like Top of the Pops.

Back
Top Bottom