Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kate Bush Running up that hill

Of course, there's always going to be fodder, filler and disposable pop but there's also a lot of "good" stuff out there.
And in truth it was ever thus.

Notoriously in or around 1980, Ultravox's classic Vienna was kept off the number 1 spot by Joe Dolce singing Shaddap a your face.

The ultimate victory of pap over class.

It is always a curious thing that in spite of the frequency with which such shite got to number 1, no one was ever able to find anyone who'd bought it, lol

But it was a clear indication that chart success did not always reflect quality. After all, Agadoo by Black Lace also got to number 1

A few remarks to my pish comment which may have been took out of context.

There’s plenty of people on urban who like new music and keep up. You only have to look at the yearly ‘album recommendations’ thread followed by the annual ‘urban75 album of the year’ countdown.

Streaming is disastrous for new music tbh - its totally changed the focus of the music industry so there's less and less investment in new artists each year. That's probably why people get the impression new music is 'pish'
Old music is far more valuable to what was the mega labels. I think we’ve seen a fair few entire music libraries snapped up over the past 12 months because they know music from the likes of Bowie will forever be played by people and put in playlists guaranteeing them an income.

It’s no wonder the likes of Taylor swift is desperate to own her own stuff and gone to the length of actually re-recording a lot of her early work.

And in truth it was ever thus.

Notoriously in or around 1980, Ultravox's classic Vienna was kept off the number 1 spot by Joe Dolce singing Shaddap a your face.

The ultimate victory of pap over class.

It is always a curious thing that in spite of the frequency with which such shite got to number 1, no one was ever able to find anyone who'd bought it, lol

But it was a clear indication that chart success did not always reflect quality. After all, Agadoo by Black Lace also got to number 1

Shaddap a Your Face is brilliant actually. I remember my dad being furious about it. Me and me mam loved it. I think there's a lot to be said about songs that you can singalong to or recall and sing. Music as collective experience - I wish there was more like it. I don't think its easy to make something so easy and enjoyable for everyone to sing.

Also although Vienna's an amazing song for its time I don't care if it made no. 1 or not. I think people did care about who was no.1 back in the day. But really that's a very strange thing to care about. If you ain't digging you ain't finding the good stuff. Best learn that lesson early.

Maybe measuring streaming rates is more 'democratic' so it's better in that sense. But it's worse for musicians in terms of the, frankly, offensively low amounts they get paid by streaming platforms.
Once they get a following the big money is in concerts and touring. It kind of really always was.

Also although Vienna's an amazing song for its time I don't care if it made no. 1 or not. I think people did care about who was no.1 back in the day. But really that's a very strange thing to care about. If you ain't digging you ain't finding the good stuff. Best learn that lesson early.
I learned that lesson young. I went through a period of several years when I smoked weed. Never bought singles anymore. Still listened to radio at work but mostly listened to albums from the personal collections of friends I was getting stoned with, most of it never in the singles charts, and much of it spanning previous decades too. 70s David Bowie was popular back then in my crowd, as was 60s Rolling Stones. And it was at this time that I became a lifelong Pink Floyd fan. And the Floyd very rarely released singles and were mainly an album and concert band.

I think people did care about who was no.1 back in the day.
I used to when a teenager. It was all about wanting to see your favourite songs ackowledged as being popular more widely as well as guaranteeing it got played a lot on the radio, which it did for as long as it was climbing in the charts or was at number 1. As soon as it started dropping down the charts it virtually stopped being played.

There was also a kind of cheering your own team thing going on. You wanted to see the team you supported, ie the songs and groups you most enjoyed, win, ie reach number 1.

All a little juvenile I suppose but musical likes and dislikes were very much a big deal to teenagers at the time. Much more so than now we kind of seperated out into different tribes based upon musical tastes and associated fashions - punk rockers, skinheads, new romantics, metal heads, futurists, rockers, etc, many of whom could be readily identified by their fashion statements.

Your side musically you very much wanted to cheer on and follow how they were doing in the charts.

Last edited:
I used to when a teenager. It was all about wanting to see your favourite songs ackowledged as being popular more widely as well as guaranteeing it got played a lot on the radio, which it did for as long as it was climbing in the charts or was at number 1. As soon as it started dropping down the charts it virtually stopped being played.

There was also a kind of cheering your own team thing going on. You wanted to see the team you supported, ie the songs and groups you most enjoyed, win, ie reach number 1.

All a little juvenile I suppose but musical likes and dislikes was very much a big deal to teenagers at the time. Much more so than now we kind of seperated out into different tribes based upon musical tastes and associated fashions - punk rockers, skinheads, new romantics, metal heads, futurists, rockers, etc, many of whom could be readily identified by their fashion statements.

Your side musically you very much wanted to cheer on and follow how they were doing in the charts.

I did as well, but I'm a little younger than you. So it was really 85-87 when I was paying attention to the charts. The charts were such a huge thing back then. Being number one seemed like it really meant something. That was really just the industry hyping itself though. It felt good when it coincided with innovative electro pop of the early to mid 80's but felt terrible when it coincided with a period of formulaic tweeness in the late 80's. I'm glad we're over that really. It was always just a coincidence when it worked. The things people buy is not a great indicator of anything.

I did as well, but I'm a little younger than you. So it was really 85-87 when I was paying attention to the charts. The charts were such a huge thing back then. Being number one seemed like it really meant something. That was really just the industry hyping itself though. It felt good when it coincided with innovative electro pop of the early to mid 80's but felt terrible when it coincided with a period of formulaic tweeness in the late 80's. I'm glad we're over that really. It was always just a coincidence when it worked. The things people buy is not a great indicator of anything.
Yeah my most intense period of adherence to the charts was probably around 79-82, from which I guess I am probably 5 or 6 years older than you. Such an age gap is nothing now of course but tends to be massive when you are young, lol.

I was very much into the innovative electro-pop as you call it from it's very beginnings. It was often referred to as "futurist" at the time. One of the founding innovators and initiators of this genre were the German group Kraftwerk. But other stuff that relied heaviliy on synthesisers that I liked included Gary Newman, Jean Michel Jarre, Visage, Tear for Fears, Soft Cell, Human League, Heaven 17. To this day I still like a lot of the trance dance music.

But my tastes are much wider than just that. I like traditional guitar bands too, with Pink Floyd being probably my all time favourite band. I like music from the 60s right through to the present day, as well as some classical.

I don't know if this is true of everyone, but my musical horizons have expanded greatly over the years. As a teenager back in the day I was almost entirely focussed upon current chart music. Though the charts included a vibrant mix of styles in the late 70s and early 80s so there was something for everyone.

Last edited:
Except with streaming increasingly dominated by heritage acts and industry cash following, it's less and less easy for acts to build the kind of following that makes concerts pay.
True but that is also a mixed curse/blessing.

Because the kind of manufactured mass produced crap that elements of the industry used to be forever drowning us with would be much less likely to make headway today. And real talent is still likely to shine through in the end. At least I would hope so.

Radio is much more splintered now compared to the days when Radio One was utterly dominant, with much more choice. It is easy to find stations that play the kind of stuff you feel like listening to at that moment. New material of a certain genre will tend to reach an audience who like that kind of thing, which should allow real talent to still make headway, and not have to rely upon the dubious support and promotion of a hegemonic music and radio industry, both in bed with each other.

What is everyone thoughts of the song being Number 1 37 years after it reached number 3 first time around in the charts thanks to TV Show Stranger Things ?

Could we see other classics song re entering charts I'm not talking about the Christmas song or 3 lions as they re enter every year or 4 years respectively?

Would you like to see classic hits make a comeback or just leave them as just one offs?

What, like Reet Petite, He ain't Heavy, etc etc or Jive Bunny?

I don't give a shit.

It’s her best song, so its all fine with me that it’s suddenly number 1 rather than the latest mediocre rubbish.

But it’s not like it’s the first time something has re-entered the charts and hit number 1 because of TV. Remember The Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go” only got to number one 10 years after it was released because of a Levi’s advert. There was also “Young At Heart” by the Bluebells also took almost 10 years too thanks to a VW advert. You can practically see the charts were riddled with re-releases if anyone watches the reruns of Top Of The Pops from the 90s on BBC4. The only difference now is record labels don’t have to actually ‘re-release’ anything - it’s just a measure of popularity based on streams these days. I doubt many people under 30 really understand or care about the concept of ‘the charts’ as we knew them and the fact it becomes this big news story is more a reflection on the age of the people who run the media than anything else.
I remember it happening several times during the 80s. Reet Petite got to number one after 30 years because it had been in a claymation on BBC2; Heard it Through the Grapefruit after that hot guy wore pants in an advert: songs off Dirty Dancing, and so on.

Hilariously, some people are really cross about it. Some kids think it’s from Stranger Things and had never heard of Kate Bush before. As if it’s at all new for the current generation to discover something from the previous generations and think it’s new.
Exactly. I find this very weird. I have to be very careful when my daughter tells me about early Madonna, like I have never heard of it before because I didn't watch stranger things series 3 and I don't currently go to school. . . I don't want to discourage her finding stuff out herself. . . I could so easily just say "yeah I bought the single the first time around" and make it an old man thing.

That driving round the record shops and buying all the singles used to actually work if you knew the right shops. (so Im told)

I usually play at least one Kate Bush song in my DJ set but it was a real pleasure seeing the actual excitement when I played Running Up That Hill last night :)
On Friday my teen arrived home with some friends to have their inaugural band practice - the only recognisable song they managed was a cover of it - my cassette copy of Hounds of Love was still in the stereo from when I'd had it on that morning

Which was the last band that 'shone through' enough to the point where they might, say, headline Glastonbury?
Not really best equipped to answer that since I don't really follow the charts anymore and am not up to speed with who or what is popular now. I rarely pay much heed to who is who. I probably don't know many of the artists currently in the charts. I grew beyond the charts decades ago.

Which was the last band that 'shone through' enough to the point where they might, say, headline Glastonbury?
Wet Leg are aren't quite there yet but if they can produce another decent album they could be there. Fat White Family are getting close too although they're not so new. Maybe Shame too.

Not really best equipped to answer that since I don't really follow the charts anymore and am not up to speed with who or what is popular now. I rarely pay much heed to who is who. I probably don't know many of the artists currently in the charts. I grew beyond the charts decades ago.
It was Florence & The Machine - formed 2007, Friday night headliners in 2015. Since then its been heritage acts or solo artists, which seem to be the only kinds of acts able to shine through to the point of megastardom in the new musical economy (suspect this is because the new ways they shine through is via mediums like Instagram & tiktok, which are much more attuned to solo artists than bands).

Wet Leg are aren't quite there yet but if they can produce another decent album they could be there. Fat White Family are getting close too although they're not so new. Maybe Shame too.
Fat White Family are currently touring 300-600 capacity venues, they aren't headlining Glastonbury any time soon. Wet Leg do seem to have a head of steam behind them (although after a traditional record company publicity blitz rather than purely on viral success).

Fat White Family are currently touring 300-600 capacity venues, they aren't headlining Glastonbury any time soon. Wet Leg do seem to have a head of steam behind them (although after a traditional record company publicity blitz rather than purely on viral success).

Like I said, I don't think they're there yet but I wouldn't rule it out in a couple of years if they keep on producing the goods.

Shame probably play even smaller shows, but they were superb headlining Wide Awake.

1655636227207.png

*Not that I give much of a fuck who headlines Glastonbury these days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom