Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kanye believe it? Follow Kanye West's 2020 presidential bid here...

Not sure that's true. Definite correlation with being an arsehole though.

And by your own logic (not mine) what do you do for a living again?
woah that’s way below the belt, nothing wrong with being a delivery driver

and i think the subtext to all those labelling someone stupid based on what? being a rapper? has got to be racism.
I’m by no means an expert on Kanye’s biography, but he’s certainly been reported as saying plenty of reactionary things in his time. “Reactionary twat” seems fair enough.

(I’ve recently noticed theories that this was some sort of ‘deep cover’ project, but I don’t give that any credibility).

“Slavery was a choice” by the enslaved. That’s not the sort of attitude I have any sympathy for. So, no, not a fan of his political ambitions.

It seems like the argument being made by both Edie and Marty1 isn't "your position in society directly reflects your intelligence" but more "rich people are usually also intelligent, but intelligent people aren't always rich".

Feel like it's also important to acknowledge, as some seem to have at least alluded to, that 'intelligence' isn't a binary or just one thing; there are many different types of intelligence, and you can be intelligent in one way but not intelligent in many others.

e2a: for what it's worth, at the risk of undermining my second point, I generally wouldn't agree with the argument that "rich people are usually also intelligent". Often they have become rich through a combination of luck and perhaps some 'playing the game', often in a way that many non-rich people wouldn't want to.

It seems like the argument being made by both Edie and Marty1 isn't "your position in society directly reflects your intelligence" but more "rich people are usually also intelligent, but intelligent people aren't always rich".

Feel like it's also important to acknowledge, as some seem to have at least alluded to, that 'intelligence' isn't a binary or just one thing; there are many different types of intelligence, and you can be intelligent in one way but not intelligent in many others.

e2a: for what it's worth, at the risk of undermining my second point, I generally wouldn't agree with the argument that "rich people are usually also intelligent". Often they have become rich through a combination of luck and perhaps some 'playing the game', often in a way that many non-rich people wouldn't want to.
Just to clarify again, I’ve said success not wealth per se. Saul Goodman misquoted me. I’ve already clarified the difference once.

Just to clarify again, I’ve said success not wealth per se. Saul Goodman misquoted me. I’ve already clarified the difference once.
Apologies; I did actually originally write "success", but switched to "rich" to make the distinction between successful people who aren't rich, as you and other acknowledged with regards to nurses.

Certainly, your original posts clearly say "success" rather than "rich/wealthy", as others seem to have taken it.
Success isn’t a bad measure of intelligence tbf. Probably better than IQ tests.
Whatever field you care to mention. Business included.

edit: oh, but I'd still make the argument that there are plenty of intelligent people who aren't successful, too :D

Reactions: Ax^
and i think the subtext to all those labelling someone stupid based on what? being a rapper?

Saying stuff like
"I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph"
or
"I love Coldplay"
or marrying Kim Kardashian.

I'd say Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are two of the most successful people in the world. How does that work with your theory?
I’d argue that they are probably more intelligent than they’d have you believe. Although I have to be honest and say I’m not sure in the case of Trump.

I am intelligent (yes, I know :D) but by standard 1960s measurements (various IQ tests, matrices and so on, I am...apart from the teeny fact that such measurements are essentially meaningless. I am, and always have been, perfectly skint. Oh yeah, I am not remotely successful (as a capitalist exploiter) but am absolutely top in my field when it comes to creative slacking. Which largely illustrates the total redundancy of such metrics as 'success', 'intelligence' and even 'wealth'.

and i think the subtext to all those labelling someone stupid based on what? being a rapper? has got to be racism.

Under the current climate of BLM activism across the globe it’s certainly odd to refer to Kanye as an idiot. Perhaps people think that’s ok if he’s friendly with a certain President?

Back
Top Bottom