Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

I wonder if posters lining up to slag off jso would have disdained cnd when someone painted ban the bomb on stonehenge about 40 years ago. For me it's the tameness of the jso action which undermines it, not any egregious vandalism other critics see

I wonder if posters lining up to slag off jso would have disdained cnd when someone painted ban the bomb on stonehenge about 40 years ago. For me it's the tameness of the jso action which undermines it, not any egregious vandalism other critics see
It was in 1961, which was 63 years ago. You are getting old, and the years are flying by.

What about driving a JCB into the stones?

The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in glistening samite, held aloft excalibur, before throwing a kinder egg at Glastonbury abbey

Do people think that there will be significant, state led action on climate change if JSO were to just pick the right targets? Have these politicos and billionaires proved amenable to us having the best arguments and kind smiles? I'll probably live to see the barrier reef die and remnant orca populations confined to the poles. If the Irrawaddy delta goes saline we're looking at famine the likes of which you haven't seen since the victorians engineered them deliberately on rebellious empire subjects. I could go on. From snooker baize to stonehenge to a popstars jet- I don't care. Let em get on with it unless you fancy lining up with lord sex case walney on his crusade to protect democracy from the people, in his well remunerated seat in the unelected house.

But...but...but the war on motorists!

How dare they defile art/statues/old stones we have imbued with meaning that we realistically can have absolutely zero idea what they are for?

Also, they have disturbed sports. SPORTS!!!

I decided a couple of years back that capital and neoliberalism have done their jobs so effectively that too many people are now in thrall to them. We are fucked. Deservedly fucked. I have given up.

I'm probably wrong to do so, but when you hear the shit people come out with, we really are beyond redemption.

Sorry, had my first "do you pay road tax?" wanker tonight, after he tried to actually knock me off my bike. I watched him look around for cameras and that was ALL that stopped him getting out of the car to punch me. Fuck it all.

Some cyclists rigthtly condemn the actions of some motorists, but some wrongly label all motorists. I have never driven a car. However, I am sick of the cyclists who ride on the pavement, and do not even have bells.

Some cyclists rigthtly condemn the actions of some motorists, but some wrongly label all motorists. I have never driven a car. However, I am sick of the cyclists who ride on the pavement, and do not even have bells.

Fuck you. He tried to run me down. Cyclist on pavements may be arseholes but they are not trying to hurt anyone.

No equivalence. Also, you're a cunt.

That's your response to someone saying that somebody nearly knocked them off their bike, then only didn't punch them because there were cameras?

Fuck you. He tried to run me down. Cyclist on pavements may be arseholes but they are not trying to hurt anyone.

No equivalence. Also, you're a cunt.
I think that the person who tried to run you down was horrible. I sympathise with you.
Cyclists on pavements whisk past me, startling me, and I fear that one day I am going to be knocked down. It is actually illegal to cycle on the pavment.

At least motorists do not drive along the pavement!
Please, do not drive. Ever. You clearly do not have enough observation skills to be a safe driver if you don't notice drivers on pavements on the regular.

For starters, every single car that is parked on the pavement got there by driving on it. Nothing gets me grumbling like a "large blind spots - pedestrians stay clear from this vehicle" style sticker on a van parked on a pavement. It's just so normalised people don't even registers it when it happens and if they do the every day absolution kicks off "well he has a delivery to make, you can't expect him to drive around looking for a space, and he'll only be here for a minute once he stops"; "well they have to keep getting things in and out of the van and otherwise they would block the road" and even if they kill someone while doing so there will be no charges (see Esme Weir, Lennon Toland those are just off the top of my head but I'm sure if you start looking into it you'll find more).

There's also the ones who are too impatient to wait for a driver to turn right and who feel OK to mount the pavement to go around them.

And the ones who think filtering measures don't apply to them and will drive on the pavement to get around bollards.

And the impatient ones who drive on the pavement because sitting in traffic or behind the bin men isn't for them.

If you don't believe me, you can see some motorists totally not driving on the pavement here and here (I could feel a page of those)

While we are here and since you "not all motorist"-ed further down. Drivers kill about 5 pedestrians a week on average. The vast majorities of fatal incidents happen on the road but of the pedestrians they kill, 35 to 40 a year they kill while they are on pavements. On average cyclist kill 2 pedestrians a year and usually the fatal pedestrian vs cyclist collisions didn't happen on a pavement. So whilst it's annoying and can be stressful if your balance is iffy or your bones are fragile or your vision is limited, you are still in a lot less danger from an inconsiderate cyclist passing you too close while walking on a pavement than you are from drivers.

I saw you also mentioned the "but it's illegal", well it is except when it's not, many local authorities just slap a shared path sign on and call it infrastructure and the minister's guidance and where it's not shared space the police guidance is that enforcement should be on a case to case basis and to basically only intervene if it's blatantly inconsiderate. I can assure you that the vast majority of people who ride on pavements aren't happy with the arrangement either (it's slow, too stop-start, it's not continuous and there's a loss of priority at each intersection and on the whole they are aware that they would get hurt too in a collision) but the vroom-vrooms have claimed all the space and any attempt to reclaim it gets shouted down so you get to share the crumbs until political vision changes.

I'm a driver, I have never killed or injured anyone. Do I "not all driver" ? I don't because even a cursory glance at statistic is enough to establish that as a category drivers are pretty lethal to people who aren't enclosed in metal and that's even before looking at emissions and particulates.

Do you also go below the line to "not all men" when people talk about an incident where they were harassed?

Anyone know more about these arrests?

According to the Daily Heil, it's in relation to plans to disrupt UK airports. Won't link but some excerpts here:

The Metropolitan Police said 27 people were taken into custody, including some believed to be 'key organisers' for the climate group.

All the arrests were made under a section of the Public Order Act that makes it illegal to conspire to disrupt national infrastructure.

Four people were arrested on Tuesday after being identified at Gatwick Airport and have since been released on bail.

Six were held on Thursday night at an east London community centre hosting a Just Stop Oil event 'promoting airport disruption', the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

A total of 17 people were arrested at their homes across England on Friday morning as Metropolitan Police officers worked with more than eight other forces.

Police activity has taken place in London, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Devon, Essex, Manchester, Surrey, Sussex, Norfolk and West Yorkshire.

Chief Superintendent Ian Howells, who led the operation, said: "We know Just Stop Oil are planning to disrupt airports across the country this summer which is why we have taken swift and robust action now.

"Our stance is very clear that anyone who compromises the safety and security of airports in London can expect a strong response from officers or security staff.

It seems such a blatant potential breach of the legislation that one does wonder whether the intention was to get arrested, be put on trial, and aim for not guilty pleas with resultant publicity.

According to the Daily Heil, it's in relation to plans to disrupt UK airports.

It seems such a blatant potential breach of the legislation that one does wonder whether the intention was to get arrested, be put on trial, and aim for not guilty pleas with resultant publicity.

How many of those arrested have actually been charged with any resulting criminal offences?

Back
Top Bottom