Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

I am assisting Just Stop Oil by spoiling this Urban75 post. The mess I've caused below is nothing compared to the destruction of our planet:

Image1.jpg

They're clearly absolute hypocrites then. I bet they got to the gallery via a train using diesel, or their bike tyres had petrochemical by-products in them.

We're stuck in a world where everything has got a cost to the environment for the benefits of profit. It doesn't mean you can't strive for better.

I don't subscribe to throwing soup at art...
Better ways to stop using oil...

By choosing the correct glue?

By knowing what they are using.
By understanding what petroleum is and where it is.

They're probably wearing clothes and shoes made from recycled plastic originally petrochemical based.

Petroleum / oil is in so much more of our everyday use...even if we dont use cars or any form of petrol powered engine/ turbine..

Our world is full of oil based products.

More than 6,000 everyday products get their start from oil, including dishwashing liquid, solar panels, food preservatives, eyeglasses, DVDs, children’s toys, tires and heart valves. Here are some of the common petroleum products that are an important part of our modern lifestyle.

Electronics​

Due to insulating and heat resistant properties, plastics and other petroleum-based products are used in electronic components. From your speakers and smartphones to your computers, cameras, and televisions, most electronics have components derived from oil.

Textiles​

Clothing is commonly made from petroleum-based fibers including acrylic, rayon, vegan leather, polyester, nylon and spandex. Even shoes and purses use petrochemicals for their lightweight, durable, and water resistant properties.

Sporting Goods​

Many common sports equipment contains some petroleum including basketballs, golf balls and bags, football helmets, surfboards, skis, tennis rackets and fishing rods.

Health & Beauty Products​

Many of our personal care products are derived from petroleum including perfume, hair dye, cosmetics (lipstick, makeup, foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner), hand lotion, toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, deodorant, panty hose, combs, shampoo, eyeglasses, and contact lenses.

Medical Supplies​

Modern health care relies on petroleum products that have few substitutes. Plastics are used in a wide-range of medical devices and petrochemicals are relied on for pharmaceuticals. Products include hospital equipment, IV bags, aspirin, antihistamines, artificial limbs, dentures, hearing aids, heart valves and many more.

Household Products​

Our homes are full of products that used petroleum in their production. From construction materials such as roofing and housing insulation to linoleum flooring, furniture, appliances and home decor such as pillows, curtains, rugs, and house paint. Even many everyday kitchen items including dishes, cups, non-stick pans, and dish detergent use oil in their creation.
Made from Oil and natural Gas

How Many Petroleum Products Did You Use Today?​

By knowing what they are using.
By understanding what petroleum is and where it is.

They're probably wearing clothes and shoes made from recycled plastic originally petrochemical based.

Petroleum / oil is in so much more of our everyday use...even if we dont use cars or any form of petrol powered engine/ turbine..

Our world is full of oil based products.

More than 6,000 everyday products get their start from oil, including dishwashing liquid, solar panels, food preservatives, eyeglasses, DVDs, children’s toys, tires and heart valves. Here are some of the common petroleum products that are an important part of our modern lifestyle.

Electronics​

Due to insulating and heat resistant properties, plastics and other petroleum-based products are used in electronic components. From your speakers and smartphones to your computers, cameras, and televisions, most electronics have components derived from oil.

Textiles​

Clothing is commonly made from petroleum-based fibers including acrylic, rayon, vegan leather, polyester, nylon and spandex. Even shoes and purses use petrochemicals for their lightweight, durable, and water resistant properties.

Sporting Goods​

Many common sports equipment contains some petroleum including basketballs, golf balls and bags, football helmets, surfboards, skis, tennis rackets and fishing rods.

Health & Beauty Products​

Many of our personal care products are derived from petroleum including perfume, hair dye, cosmetics (lipstick, makeup, foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner), hand lotion, toothpaste, soap, shaving cream, deodorant, panty hose, combs, shampoo, eyeglasses, and contact lenses.

Medical Supplies​

Modern health care relies on petroleum products that have few substitutes. Plastics are used in a wide-range of medical devices and petrochemicals are relied on for pharmaceuticals. Products include hospital equipment, IV bags, aspirin, antihistamines, artificial limbs, dentures, hearing aids, heart valves and many more.

Household Products​

Our homes are full of products that used petroleum in their production. From construction materials such as roofing and housing insulation to linoleum flooring, furniture, appliances and home decor such as pillows, curtains, rugs, and house paint. Even many everyday kitchen items including dishes, cups, non-stick pans, and dish detergent use oil in their creation.
Made from Oil and natural Gas

How Many Petroleum Products Did You Use Today?​

No shit. I've learnt something today.

I look forward to seeing all those wonderful things float past me when I'm flooded by the inevitable rising sea water and think fondly of my non-stick pan when I hear of famines due to drought and floods.

No shit. I've learnt something today.

I look forward to seeing all those wonderful things float past me when I'm flooded by the inevitable rising sea water and think fondly of my non-stick pan when I hear of famines due to drought and floods.

Sadly there is nothing we can do to stop it.
Its fucking depressing...

These people must be paid stooges for oil companies. There is no other explanation for these fucking absurd 'actions'. If their whole point is that oil is everywhere, then it shouldn't be hard to pick a legitimate fucking target should it? Pretty much anything really. Anything except the cultural heritage of the civilisation they claim to be trying to protect. Twats.

What do you realistically suggest instead?

I can feel the sense of anger and frustration that these people have. We're literally looking at the deaths of millions, if not billions of people, total destruction of entire ecosystems, the collapse of civilisations, all for the profit of a few oil company execs, and it feels like no one gives a fuck.

No one else is doing shit, so I've got no right to criticise their actions, unless I'm stepping up and doing something better - which I'm not.

Well there was this action: Just Stop Oil protesters spray Aston Martin showroom in London's Park Lane with orange paint

Which had they asked me, I would have advised leading with instead. I think trashing luxury cars is going to resonate with more people than splashing soup on a painting. The rich are going to be better cushioned from the effects of climate change after all, so this kind of action has the sense of redress about it. As opposed to what comes across as a feeble attempt to trash a painting by an artist who had nothing to do with climate change, and who is well-regarded by all sorts of people, not just the rich.

I also reject this idea that actions can't be criticised. If "no else is doing shit", then that doesn't justify crap actions that achieve nothing but grab some attention in a way that can be easily twisted into childish attention-seeking. You could justify doing anything by that kind of reasoning.

Since their main unmet demand is to replace parliament with a citizens assembly they should probably chain themselves to the entrance to Portcullis House or something, or go around with a megaphone drowning out MP interviews like that stop brexit guy.

Oh wait that's Extinction Rebellion.

Just Stop Oil simply want the government to stop issuing new fossil fuel consents. That's the North Sea Transition Authority. Have they targetted their offices yet? One in London one in Aberdeen:

Last edited:
Well there was this action: Just Stop Oil protesters spray Aston Martin showroom in London's Park Lane with orange paint

Which had they asked me, I would have advised leading with instead. I think trashing luxury cars is going to resonate with more people than splashing soup on a painting. The rich are going to be better cushioned from the effects of climate change after all, so this kind of action has the sense of redress about it. As opposed to what comes across as a feeble attempt to trash a painting by an artist who had nothing to do with climate change, and who is well-regarded by all sorts of people, not just the rich.

I also reject this idea that actions can't be criticised. If "no else is doing shit", then that doesn't justify crap actions that achieve nothing but grab some attention in a way that can be easily twisted into childish attention-seeking. You could justify doing anything by that kind of reasoning.
Yeh how dare people condemn putin without putting troops into the field themselves

These people must be paid stooges for oil companies. There is no other explanation for these fucking absurd 'actions'. If their whole point is that oil is everywhere, then it shouldn't be hard to pick a legitimate fucking target should it? Pretty much anything really. Anything except the cultural heritage of the civilisation they claim to be trying to protect. Twats.
Throwing soup at a Van Gogh does seem uniquely pathetic.

Somoneo somewhere pointed out that Van Gogh was someone who was subject to oppression in his own life. So well done. That may have been said here, I don't know, I'm very tired

I’m not sure how they did that. They’re high up on it, aren’t they?

I guess they could fall off and land on a car…
I guess having people suspended over fast moving traffic is seen as some kind of health and safety risk by the woke brigade.

I guess having people suspended over fast moving traffic is seen as some kind of health and safety risk by the woke brigade.

Well, if they’re high enough up, the traffic is no risk to them. It’s just that they’re a possible risk to the traffic.

Maybe put up a sign saying “Possible falling Tarquins” and let people make their own decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom