Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill's attack on transsexuals...

I do not wish to fall out with anyone.

Dont worry, I dont want to fall out with you either. I have exhausted my point, although a lingering one remains that I dont want people to edit themselves on u75 specially. I want whats acceptable here to be whats commonly considered acceptable in a broader context, and that any challenges to things people say here be a way to explore this stuff rather than an overzealous attempt to enforce a standard that has nothing to do with how anyone actually talks about stuff in real life or how we think society should be.

Its certainly not your fault that labels are a mess these days, something of a prison has been made of language as a side-effect of fighting against a lot of shit terms were used for in the past. Many terms have been soiled in a manner that makes recycling them less than trivial to achieve, since the stench of their old meanings is not easy to completely wash away.

What the fuck?!

Basically making (or actually failing to make) the argument that some females who have gender reassignment to male are some form of repressed lesbian who can only feel right sleeping with other women once they (the "repressed lesbian") are in a male body. It's the worst kind of assumptive bullshit that's based on a theory rather than any sort of research with trans people.

And, of course, the likes of Bindel have no stake in preserving their own status quo, definitely not. :)

Basically making (or actually failing to make) the argument that some females who have gender reassignment to male are some form of repressed lesbian who can only feel right sleeping with other women once they (the "repressed lesbian") are in a male body. It's the worst kind of assumptive bullshit that's based on a theory rather than any sort of research with trans people.

And, of course, the likes of Bindel have no stake in preserving their own status quo, definitely not. :)

What an absolute piece of nonsense. I am quite, quite disgusted.

What an absolute piece of nonsense. I am quite, quite disgusted.

Unfortunately, it's another classic example of why identity politics suck dog arse - everything gets reduced to what the loudest people in a particular identity group has to say, so someone like BIndel (who represents a minority of lesbians if she represents any at all besides herself), who is media-savvy and connected, can get more "airtime" for her (frankly offensive) views than more rational but less notorious speakers from a lesbian perspective can.

You know how the fash have Redwatch to name and shame commies and trade unionists?

RadFems now have Gender Identity Watch to "monitor organizations that push gender identity and thus engage in the erasure of female reality"
You think that's bad?

On the same website one of the top ten posts is 'useful feminist knowledge: safe home abortions'. I read the blogpost - and I'm not posting the link because if you want to read, go look for it, it's nothing I want to link to.

You think that's bad?

On the same website one of the top ten posts is 'useful feminist knowledge: safe home abortions'. I read the blogpost - and I'm not posting the link because if you want to read, go look for it, it's nothing I want to link to.

What fucks me off about that is the angle it's coming from; rather than saying should abortion laws change we should be massively collectivising to stand up against this, it's basically saying 'let's lie down and take it, so here's some non properly tested alternatives'. It's all wrong.

You think that's bad?

Evolution in action.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell. I'm in the predator class.

predator.jpg

AWESOME.

Back
Top Bottom