Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill's attack on transsexuals...

i think if the issue is over the contextual use of the word, then having clarified that Sirena is not using it derogatorily, it's probably alright to just get on with things..?

Then your experience (I trust you have a wide experience of the subject...?) is different to mine. If you look at the Way Out website (probably the main tranny night-out in London), you will note that organiser Vicky Lee, who is incidentally a friend of mine, is happy to use the word.
That's one person who makes a big thing out of it as a career. Most trangendered people just feel a need to be a different sex than they were born with, my friend was in tears because the benefits agency wouldn't change their claim to female while they were recovering from their surgery and on ESA. Their passport, bank, hospital records etc were all changed but it took a lot of arsing about to get the benefits people to change it and it was implied that any job they got after they would have to fill in the form as Mr X as well. All while they were recovering from painful surgery. Left her properly in bits. I seriously doubt it would have been a good time to call her a tranny.

Sirena said:
That was me, probably. But if you know a few trannies, you'll know trannies are happy to use the word tranny.

Some don't mind. Some find it offensive. Nor least of all because of the way the term is frequently used by bigots to abuse trans people. Notwithstanding your right to free speech, now that you know that, will you stop using it?

Whatever. But it is interesting that all this Julie Burchill poison should come up only a few weeks after the great role model for all trannies (or 'trans-women' as no-one calls them) April Ashley deservedly got an MBE for her campaigning work over the decades

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20708017

There's a wee fragment in that story that demonstrates the commitment, certainty and courage that must be needed in order to fit your body's outward sexual characteristics to match the sex that is your inner being:

She underwent experimental gender reassignment surgery in 1960 in Casablanca, despite being told by the doctor there was only a 50/50 chance of survival.

Obviously the odds of surgical death are different nowadays, but that doesn't reduce the need for commitment, courage and certainty much.

Then your experience (I trust you have a wide experience of the subject...?) is different to mine. If you look at the Way Out website (probably the main tranny night-out in London), you will note that organiser Vicky Lee, who is incidentally a friend of mine, is happy to use the word.

You realise most transsexuals regard themselves as men or women and generally live as 'stealth'? The word "tranny" generally has a specific meaning associated with women who are out as trans and also with transvestites, drag queens and the club scene you allude to. To use it to refer to all trans people as you did is not appropriate.

How very odd to say "no-one" calls trans women "trans women". Lots of people do. And, as I suggested in my previous post, if one has been told that a term is offensive, the decent person thing to do would be to say "I'm sorry, I didn't realise" and not to say it around the people who don't like it.

In other news, I am happy to call myself queer, but I know a number of other gay/bi/generally not-straight folk who don't like the term, finding it offensive and derogatory. So, because they are my friends and I don't wish to upset them, I don't use the term towards them or in front of them. It's not so hard.

There's a wee fragment in that story that demonstrates the commitment, certainty and courage that must be needed in order to fit your body's outward sexual characteristics to match the sex that is your inner being:

Obviously the odds of surgical death are different nowadays, but that doesn't reduce the need for commitment, courage and certainty much.

I agree with that. She was only the second British transsexual and, possibly, in the first 5 or 6 in the world to go through that process. In the 1930s, Lili Elbe died from experimental sex-change surgery. But April Ashley was lucky in that her surgeon had devised the technique that is still used today.

How very odd to say "no-one" calls trans women "trans women". Lots of people do. And, as I suggested in my previous post, if one has been told that a term is offensive, the decent person thing to do would be to say "I'm sorry, I didn't realise" and not to say it around the people who don't like it.

In other news, I am happy to call myself queer, but I know a number of other gay/bi/generally not-straight folk who don't like the term, finding it offensive and derogatory. So, because they are my friends and I don't wish to upset them, I don't use the term towards them or in front of them. It's not so hard.

Stop being so bloody sensible :mad:

I would hazard a guess that the mistake being made is to confuse the scene that is happy to identify with the term tranny with the entire trans spectrum and those who find themselves touched by gender issues in some way. It doesnt help that this sort of mistake stumbles directly into the historical bigotry, prejudice, misconceptions etc that still plague a decent understanding of gender issues to this day. It can cause friction within the trans community, and one way to stand a chance of retaining solidarity within that group, let alone beyond it, is for people to accept that they should retreat to the safest, most widely acceptable and all-encompassing labels available. People can call themselves whatever they like, but they have to be careful before calling anyone else anything, a similar problem to the commentariat soiling themselves when claiming to speak on behalf of an entire, broad group.

I hereby vow not to use the word tranny again (on these boards), since it offends so many people (on these boards).

I hereby vow not to use the word tranny again (on these boards), since it offends so many people (on these boards).

Trying to make out that its just a few wacky sensitive non-transsexuals on these boards that could possibly have a problem with the term is not the best way to get me to leave it alone.

i don't necessarily agree. personally i think that all manner of people place too much importance on linguistical labels which essentially don't mean anything, and in practice placing that importance on words makes for awkward conversations which dart around the issues and focus on style rather than content. this is a bad trend on the whole and actually, i think it needs to be challenged.

i can understand stuff_it's friend's problem with the benefits agency as that's a legal institution refusing to recognize their gender, rather than just generally a word which is sometimes used in a well-intentioned way and sometimes not.

You cant blame people for thinking that words actually do mean something important when those words have previously been used against them in anger, or to attempt to dehumanise them.

it's not about blame, it's about disagreeing with them

ETA

i should clarify that i'm not in favour of just using words people don't like in principle, just to prove a point - just that 'offence' is part of an increasing overrall trend by which masses of innocuous words are being 'proscribed' or labelled risque... it not only ignores the fundamental nature of language (in that its fluid, ever-changing and basically an incredibly crude tool by which to generally express the abstract concepts floating around in our heads) but also engages in a battle which can't be won.

Trying to make out that its just a few wacky sensitive non-transsexuals on these boards that could possibly have a problem with the term is not the best way to get me to leave it alone.

I thought I had given an illustration that, in a broadly supportive context, the use of the word I have vowed not to use is acceptable. It may not be acceptable in a confrontational context or where it is obviously being used in a derogatory way, but the community is not so politicised that it has gone totally into greyspeak. Some will obviously prefer the formal 'transgender' or 'transsexual' (I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as a 'trans-woman' - i think that term is used by commentators) but, as I say, I do not wish to fall out with anyone.

If I was Ms Moore I think I'd be less than pleased about the way Julie B has waded in on my behalf. Seems to me that her meddling has made everything a whole lot worse.

If I was Ms Moore I think I'd be less than pleased about the way Julie B has waded in on my behalf. Seems to me that her meddling has made everything a whole lot worse.
Moores picture disappeared from Burchills article half way through the day,possibly from a complaint by Moore.

It's not though. It's only acceptable in the very specific circumstance you appear to be familiar with.

I like to think my experience of the subject is broad and deep. You would obviously like wikipedia links (for without such, nothing can be true...) but I can only offer that you hang out with me one weekend or another.....

It's a pretty fringe position and everybody I know is embarrassed by it.

What's new to me is newspaper columnists claiming to be oppressed by the trans lobby who all have it really easy and if they were real working class women they'd know what being oppressed really meant.

Although one would doubtless need to question what knowledge many newspaper columnists have of the lives of working class women beyond talking to their cleaner. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom