Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joe Biden's time is up

Yes, look at the US today, electoralism is just such a roaring success!

Continuing to evade basic questions about yourself isn't assuaging my suspicion that you're a plant bent on trolling the board.

I'm also wondering if you've ever had to work to keep from starving, shopped for food. Or, engaged in using basic skills the average person uses who has to shift for themself in the real world. If you had, you wouldn't be asking such naive questions.

Last edited:
Yes, look at the US today, electoralism is just such a roaring success! Theres simply no need for any autonomous alternatives from below :thumbs:
A straw man argument, sometimes called a straw person argument or spelled strawman argument, is the logical fallacy of distorting an opposing position into an extreme version of itself and then arguing against that extreme version. In creating a straw man argument, the arguer strips the opposing point of view of any nuance and often misrepresents it in a negative light.

Top pedantry sir, salute. 150m was an off the top of my head guess at total turnout, which I promptly forgot to divide by approx 2. Still, not like AA was ever likely to get involved in fact-checking so no harm done.
It's not pedantry to point out such a flagrant error. Especially when you say they're all voting for one party

Last edited:
At the end of the day you people are completely disingenuous and accuse me of siding with the republicans (and fascism) and their oppression of women, LGBT+ and black people. I say you are class traitors who side with the bourgeosie. Thats just how it is. You can fuck off.
Yep. And I very much think that autonomous alternatives from below that can also be revolutionary and work towards uniting workers against capitalism are a much better way to take on and counter reactionaries like the republicans.

Yep. And I very much think that autonomous alternatives from below that can also be revolutionary and work towards uniting workers against capitalism are a much better way to take on and counter reactionaries like the republicans.

If we're just going to reiterate previous posts, here you go:

So do the rest of us.

Please tell me what projects you've been involved in and what success you've had. If you've been out there working as much as you claim, you should have a resume by now.

You post as if you think others oppose this idea. What I reject is the notion that representative democracy, because it is so flawed, somehow doesn't matter. That's demonstrably untrue as anyone who has lived in a country that has no representative democracy could tell you. I actually think something a bit stronger than this - that it is naive to think that representative democracy doesn't matter, and that such naivety is only really possible if you live somewhere that has it. At the very least, it acts as a limiting factor on the amount of power those in power can wield.

You'll have to talk me through your great post which you agreed with. Or will you call us 'class traitors', claim offence and say we aren't worth talking to whilst trying to provoke us to.

Please tell me what projects you've been involved in and what success you've had.
I don't actually think it matters at all because I've never blamed anyone on here in particular for not being involved in direct action and I don't think that dick measuring contests are really a good thing generally. All I've ever said really is that it'd be great if people generally weren't so involved in electoralism and dependent on that, and instead made an effort to build autonomous alternatives from below. And there are those like me who do believe that representaive democracy is a failed system, so we promote the idea of not voting and doing other stuff instead.

As someone with disabilites I don't personally feel that I'm really suited to direct action these days. Politcally the nearest sort of thing I've been involved with in terms of direct action was probably in 2011 regarding an anti-EDL/anti-fascist thing, to defend an area with a large Muslim community from an EDL demo - but the cops were out in force and not much at all happened on that day. I also attended an action of another type the same year. I've probably done other things that could probably count as direct action. For about ten years though I was politically inactive due to work and family commitments and was also politically rather lost.

I have attended numerous demos (and distributed propaganda at them) and last year I attended a local demo due to workers losing their jobs with a ferry company in awful circumstances - I think the demo was organised by the RMT union. I suggested at the time to some in attendance a few times, including to some RMT organisers, that the local offices of the ferry company should be occupied, but no one was interested in doing that. I even personally messaged the local RMT branch to suggest that idea to them. Some of the union people had said in speeches at the demo etc that the ferries should be seized and that direct action should be taken and people in the crowd marcfhing along the seafront were chanting the "seize the ships!" but nothing was really done apart from temporarily blocking up a road during the protest and appealing to the government. It wasn't long before the issue was forgotten and the RMT moved on to other things, such as the rail strikes (which ofcourse are very important indeed). I don't really mean to have a pop at such people, but I also genuinely feel very much that it would've been great in that particular case if more had been tried.

As I've said before, I am an active member of an anarchist network and do what I can as an isolated member with disabilities, living in a reactionary place, such as writing and helping to edit articles, making videos, distributing propaganda on the streets and that sort of thing. I have supported workers and attended pickets and not long ago I gave a speech at a local well attended vigil for refugees who had drowned in the English channel on behalf of an anarchist communist organisation (a speech that was well received). So I do make a contribution. I am also very aware that I'm still learning about organising etc and have more to do.

Last edited:
I don't actually think it matters at all because I've never blamed anyone on here in particular for not being involved in direct action. All I've ever said really is that it'd be great if people generally weren't so involved in electoralism and dependent on that, and instead made an effort to build autonomous alternatives from below.
You keep saying things like "All I've ever said really ..." If that's all you'd ever said really you wouldn't have got the pushback you have done.

Last edited:
I don't actually think it matters at all because I've never blamed anyone in particular for not being involved in direct action. All I've ever said really is that it'd be great if people generally weren't so involved in electoralism and dependent on that, and instead made an effort to build autonomous alternatives from below.

As someone with disabilites I don't personally feel that I'm really suited to direct action these days. Politcally the nearest sort of thing I've been involved with in terms of direct action was probably in 2011 regarding an anti-EDL/anti-fascist thing, to defend an area with a large Muslim community from an EDL demo - but the cops were out in force and not much at all happened on that day. I also attended an action of another type the same year. I've probably done other more subtle things that could probably count as direct action. For about ten years though I was politically inactive due to work and family commitments and was also politically rather lost. I have attended numerous demos and last year I attended a local demo due to workers losing their jobs with a ferry company in awful circumstances - I think the demo was organised by the RMT. I suggested at the time to some in attendance a few times, including to some RMT organisers, that the local offices of the ferry company should be occupied, but no one was interested in doing that. Some of the union people had put said that the ferries should be seized and people in the crowd marcfhing along the seafront were chanting the seize the ships!" but nothing was really done apart from temporaily blocking up a road during the protest. It wasn't long before thhe issue was forgotten and the RMT moved on to the strikes. I don't really mean to have a pop at such people, but I also really think it would've been great in .
that case that more had been tried.

As I've said before, I am an active member of an anarchist network and do what I can as an isolated member with disabilities, living in a pretty reactionary place, such as writing and helping to edit articles, making videos, distributing propaganda on the streets and that sort of thing, and not long ago I gave a speech at a local well attended vigil for refugees who had drowned in the English channel on behalf of an anarchist communist organisation (a speech that was well received). So I do make a contribution. I am also very aware that I'm still learning about organising etc.

Thank you. I appreciate the background. I think most people find their involvement varies according to their circumstances in life. Sometimes more involved and sometimes less, as their either their political position changes or matures, and as their responsibilities in life change.

I admit that I've spent too much time on electoral politics. When I was first starting out in the 80s, no one where I live considered anything like anarchism. That's changing. Most of my early involvement was as a state officer in an international environmental group. I organized conferences and such. I also worked as an unpaid lobbyist for another group. I don't think it made much of a difference, although I still attend such conferences. As I've matured, I've realized that I can make the most difference by supporting the people around me who are struggling. I'm mostly working locally on projects where I personally see what difference it makes such as fundraising for pipeline protests, mutual aide food pantries, and seed banks.

(You share, I share. That how discussion boards work).

As I've matured, I've realized that I can make the most difference by supporting the people around me who are struggling. I'm mostly working locally on projects where I personally see what difference it makes such as fundraising for pipeline protests, mutual aide food pantries, and seed banks.

(You share, I share. That how discussion boards work).
I absolutely agree and I've been doing a bit of this myself. A comrade of mine said to me recently that the main thing is that you support workers (and this can also include workers in struggle ofcourse). And definitely the other stuff you're involved with is very important. Its also the sort of stuff that I would love to be involved with myself.

I absolutely agree and I've been doing a bit of this myself. A comrade of mine said to me recently that the main thing is that you support workers (and this can also include workers in struggle ofcourse). And definitely the other stuff you're involved with is very important. Its also the sort of stuff that I would love to be involved with myself.

We started our "Little Free Pantry" system with a fundraiser on GoFundMe. We raised $1,200--just enough to build and stock a couple of boxes set up in people's yards. As more funds came in or people were able to foot the cost of building them, we've built and stocked more. Its a challenge just to keep food in them, but they've become defacto neighborhood exchanges. You'll find things other than food there too, including toiletries. art supplies, warm clothing, flyers for events, books, etc. Now they're all over the place, some being put out by churches and other groups.

We started our "Little Free Pantry" system with a fundraiser on GoFundMe. We raised $1,200--just enough to build and stock a couple of boxes set up in people's yards. As more funds came in or people were able to foot the cost of building them, we've built and stocked more. Its a challenge just to keep food in them, but they've become defacto neighborhood exchanges. You'll find things other than food there too, including toiletries. art supplies, warm clothing, flyers for events, books, etc. Now they're all over the place, some being put out by churches and other groups.
Thats awesome. Well done.

I do think such accusations, like the others aimed at me on here, are simply to try and deflect away from the points I'm making. Wouldn't surprise me anyway.

Was an observation rather than an accusation. Do you deny it?

Are you giving the same opinions on any right wing boards? (I suspect not because they'd tell you to fuck off every time you tried)

Back
Top Bottom