Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joe Biden's time is up

Some analysis from Leftcom which is critical of both Biden and the Dems and the Republians

a lovely display. i especially liked the effect in picture 3.

Had someone left a window open?

A nice effort overall. Almost matches the number of decs my wife puts up.

Wot, no rail strike news discussion?
most pro-union president ever, etc etc
Nothing but tumbleweed from the pro-Biden liberals.

The Biden administration has just meant more austerity for the working class in the USA - Biden lied about raising wages etc and the unemployed were booted off of benefits to suit the bosses and re-open the economy, at the expense of workers. No $15 minimum wage, child tax credit brought to an end. And meanwhile inflation makes it worse, which the pro-Biden brigade insist on blaming soley on Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Its not helped but its not the sole cause of the rising oil, gas and food prices around the world (which began before the war in Ukraine) and Jerome Powell (Biden's Fedral Reserve chair) is responsible for raising interest rates several times over the last 8 months.

Under the Biden administration the working class will have to pay for the crisis and get in debt, lose jobs and suffer cuts in real wages and have their worker's rights attacked at the same time, as with having the republicans in power, all for the benefit of the ruling class and their profits. Meanwhile theres no shortage of funds for police budgets, just incase workers ever want to fight back. Its class war as usual.

All detailed in the article I posted above, but simply ignored.

So much for being 'progressive'. Its as if we shouldn't trust or rely on any politicians at all isn't it.

Last edited:
Wot, no rail strike news discussion?
most pro-union president ever, etc etc

it's a bad business and whatever else it puts quite a dent in his re-election posture.

details here, not just a string of phrases from an anarchist chapbook.
monetarily it sounds like a good deal and some basic demands were met, such as paid sick leave.

here's one problem:

Each union has its own sick day policy
industrial unionism for the win! (or at least for a start) (though i guess that should be "had its own" now)

it's a bad business and whatever else it puts quite a dent in his re-election posture.

monetarily it sounds like a good deal and some basic demands were met, such as paid sick leave.

here's one problem:

Each union has its own sick day policy
industrial unionism for the win! (or at least for a start) (though i guess that should be "had its own" now)
Right, that sick leave thing definitely wasn't the case last time I checked, and I'm still trying to get my head around it:

The House passed legislation Wednesday that would force a tentative rail labor agreement and thwart a national strike. The bill now goes to the Senate, where Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has promised swift passage.

The House voted 290 to 137 — with 79 Republicans joining 211 Democrats — to pass the legislation, which approves new contracts providing railroad workers with 24% pay increases over five years from 2020 through 2024, immediate payouts averaging $11,000 upon ratification, and an extra paid day off.

Eight Democrats and 129 Republicans voted against the legislation.

In a separate 221 to 207 vote, the House also approved a resolution to provide seven days of paid sick leave in the contract instead of one, which is rail workers’ main disagreement with the current deal. As it stands rail workers don’t have guaranteed paid sick leave.
So is that separate resolution also legally binding then, or is it just like a recommendation?
Also
According to the Association of American Railroads, an industry group, a presidential board created to help resolve contract talks reviewed the union’s request for additional paid sick days and instead offered additional salary.

“If the unions are interested in a holistic discussion for structural changes as it relates to their sick time, I think absolutely the railroad carriers would be up for a holistic discussion, but [they] have not done it in the zero hour,” AAR President and CEO Ian Jefferies said at a press conference on rail preparations.

Each union has its own sick day policy, according to National Railway Labor Conference, or NRLC. If an employee is sick, they need to be out of work between four and seven days before they collect their version of sick pay.

The tentative labor deal grants workers one additional personal day, for a total of three personal days for railroad workers. A worker must provide 48 hours notice to request a personal day. The measure approved by the House Wednesday would add paid sick leave to the agreement.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., said on social media before the vote that the tentative agreement did not go far enough.

At a time of record profits in the rail industry, it’s unacceptable that rail workers have ZERO guaranteed paid sick days. It’s my intention to block consideration of the rail legislation until a roll call vote occurs on guaranteeing 7 paid sick days to rail workers in America.
So does that mean that the situation just shifted from Biden's version of the contract going through, to it basically being Sanders', or at least a Sanders-acceptable one? Would be genuinely interested if anyone can provide more information on where the sick days came from, and what the Dem leadership position on them was?

Last edited:
So is that separate resolution also legally binding then, or is it just like a recommendation?

So does that mean that the situation just shifted from Biden's version of the contract going through, to it basically being Sanders', or at least a Sanders-acceptable one? Would be genuinely interested if anyone can provide more information on where the sick days came from, and what the Dem leadership position on them was?

legally it sounds as if the two measure have the same status.

Both resolutions now head to the Senate, where the second faces some uncertainty. While Republicans have been open to imposing the White House’s deal, it’s not yet clear how many would support the addition of paid sick time. The measures were passed separately with this in mind; regardless of whether there’s enough GOP support to give workers sick days, there does appear to be enough votes to ensure a strike doesn’t happen ahead of a negotiations deadline on December 9.

it's not sanders' version of the bill exactly, there are two motions, and "biden's" version does not address sick days. that vox article has more details and is an alright explainer, though i haven't looked up who introduced the sick days motion. in any case, it had broad support. from yesterday:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (Ind.-Vt.) has demanded that any back-to-work legislation include the unions’ paid sick leave demands, and pledged Tuesday that he will slow down the Senate’s process unless lawmakers pass an amendment of his guaranteeing five to seven paid sick days. Sanders is reportedly working with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) on the proposal. Even the conservative Democratic Sen. John Hickenlooper of Colorado demanded Tuesday that any legislation include at least seven days of paid sick leave.

That contention was echoed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.)

e2a: the legal status of a resolution:

Last edited:
The article I posted above (post 511) contains facts and figures not merely 'phrases' and was not written by anarchists.

That deal isn't good enough at all and is basically the president and congress forcing people back to work, but in any case trade unionism certainly has its limitations.

I'd say a wildcat is required.

Last edited:
The senate just killed sick pay:

The proposal to give workers seven days of sick leave, which was championed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and other liberal Democrats, failed to pick up enough Republican support to overcome a 60-vote threshold set for adopting the measure and fell 52-43.

Six Republicans voted for the sick leave measure: Sens. Mike Braun (Ind.), Ted Cruz (Texas), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Josh Hawley (Mo.), John Kennedy (La.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.).

Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) was the only Democrat to vote against it.
I fucking hope Joe Manchin's time is up soon, imagine being such a cunt that you end up to the right of Ted Cruz.

Back
Top Bottom