Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Really, though? I'm not a swing voter, but nor am I a core supporter of Corbyn. I did pay the £3 and, for the first time, vote in an internal Labour party ballot, but more because I was interested to see what would happen next. From the start, I've been sceptical about his ability to change things for a whole variety of reasons, and never more so than in light of his insipid 'Remain, I suppose' campaigning.

But although my first thought when the attacks resumed over the weekend might have been that he probably couldn't lead convincingly under such conditions, the way he's held his ground is quite heartening - it suggests decisive resolve on his part. On the other hand, the more hysterical the campaign against him becomes, the more it seems to convey a sense that he does pose a threat.

I'm not saying either of those things are necessarily true - I guess we'll find out how decisive and resolute he is if he stays, and whether he proves to be a threat, over the next few months - but it certainly seems like an impression other people besides me might have.

agreed, any doubts about Corbyns + Mcdonnells strength + resilience have been wiped out by the last week - it's draining just watching / empathising with the shitstorm they've endured from all quarters, many of them close, can only imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end . impressed.

Having said that, if they survive, win the leadership election, and then don't make a serious attempt at introing mandatory reselection of some sort, then I'm done with it all... it would be just this , forever : pointless, endless internicine war...not worth the effort , when there's so little to actually be gained in concrete terms .

Last edited:
I do think Corbyn will have been damaged by this in the eyes of a number of swing voters and others away from his core supporters.

I don't know about that.

The only people I've heard criticizing Corbyn for his stance here have been people who never would've voted Labour anyway (except maybe, just maybe, peak Blair in a minority of instances).

Every potential Labour voter (and every Labour member/supporter) who has expressed an opinion on this to me have expressed at least sympathy,and more often support,for Corbyn.

I don't live in a traditional Labour heartland, but in a Labour controlled borough that is a target seat they need to win from the Tories according to conventional BBC election night logic.

Edited to add: And most of these people would never normally discuss the Labour Party leadership at all.

Chakrabarti has apparently said Corbyn is being deliberately misrepresented on R4 this morning too, anyone hear it?
It was a beautiful display of how to stay on message in the face of irrational provocation. Worth catching on the i-player.

And this after the news bulletin which reported the Israeli ambassador saying he didn't think JC was comparing Israel to ISIS.

E2a PS It would almost be worth a visit to Harry's Place to see how they cope with that one.

I can't read twitter posts on Tapatalk! I dunno why it's not possible to, unless I'm missing something.
Sorry. I gave up on tapatalk recently (when it logged me on under an old username I abandoned years before the advent of smartphones!), and forget others are still struggling on with it. Apologies.

It doesn't display tweets: you have to click "web view". But the précis is that Burnham says he thinks it's not on to have a coup, especially at this time, he never took part in coups and isn't going to start now, and Corbyn was democratically elected by the members of the party, he respects the democratic process and the party members.

The hunt no confidence motion is from an individual ward rather than a full clp I believe (unanimous did sound unbelievable on reflection...)

The hunt no confidence motion is from an individual ward rather than a full clp I believe (unanimous did sound unbelievable on reflection...)
With misreporting like that you'll get as bad a name as the Grauniad.

Oh just a moment, you made a correction - how unprofessional.

The PLP really have just fucking kicked themselves in the balls haven't they? Not one of them had the guts to step up to the plate and say "this isn't working, I challenge you Jez"

Proof what a bunch of vapid shits they are and the longer it goes on the worse it gets for them in terms of actually beating the guy.

According to twitter (so fuck knows if it's true - hopefully it is) Tristam Hunt's CLP passed unanimous motions last night

1) in support of Corbyn
2) of no confidence in Hunt.

The acronym LOL has never been more apt
My dad is in a CLP not a million miles from there. Stoke Central CLP have hated Hunt from day one - thete was an awful lot of anger at having him forced on them. The day after Corbyn was elected the first thing my dad said was 'now we can get rid of Hunt'. I'm sure Hunt isn't the only one who should start updating their cv...

There's three Bristol councillors on that list, one didn't stand this year though?
As quimcunx noted, that's actually from the leadership campaign. So yes, local elections since will have changed things. Threlfall (my councillor on that list) is still a councillor. Don't know about the other signers though.

This is interesting - big swing to Labour (largely it seems from UKIP + BNP). Clearly the unelectable Corbyn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="de" dir="ltr">St Michael&#39;s (Bexley) result:<br>CON: 37.4% (+2.7)<br>LAB: 33.5% (+11.5)<br>UKIP: 18.2% (-14.7)<br>LDEM: 4.7% (+4.7)<br>BNP: 4.2% (-6.3)<br>GRN: 2.2% (+2.2)</p>&mdash; Britain Elects (@britainelects) <a href="">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back
Top Bottom