Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Clarke's position is the position of the the LD - outright opposition to leaving the EU.

No Labour leader can take such a position, they simply can't if they don't want to have UKIP/Tory's eat into their vote even more than is currently happening. Any argument otherwise is just nonsense.
sigh, one last try: it's not Clarkes position I'm attempting to discuss, it's the fact that he has one, that he is fighting this government, unlike Corbyn.

sigh, one last try: it's not Clarkes position I'm attempting to discuss, it's the fact that he has one, that he is fighting this government, unlike Corbyn.

If its Ken Clarke you are talking about, he isn't contesting the next election so he can do what he likes (though he usually did anyway)

But Clarke's "fighting" (ludicrous pretence but it's your word so I'll go with it) of the government is completely dependant on his position. You can't separate the two.

I think Diane is the most disingenuous front bench MP I have the displeasure of seeing on my TV; Emily Thornberry following a close second.

Every time I see Thornberry speak I think she looks like she's trying to talk and breathe through her mouth at the same time so that she doesn't have to smell the people she's talking to.

Ah but 80% backed JC which is astonishing

Did they back him, or did they - and him - just quite seperately acknowledge political reality?

There were always going to be Lab MP's voting against, some from deeply held principle and some from naked political survival - but would the result have been very different without the 3 line whip? Probably not imv....

Did they back him, or did they - and him - just quite seperately acknowledge political reality?

There were always going to be Lab MP's voting against, some from deeply held principle and some from naked political survival - but would the result have been very different without the 3 line whip? Probably not imv....

Maybe ,maybe not (watsons was an unhelpful intervention)but the public now know Labour supported article 50 and that is why it was done.

I guess the metropolitan liberal part of the Labour coalition are suddenly finding themselves in the same position the working class Labour voters have been in for the last 40 years: with the party (mostly) saying 'where else can they go?'

20 years would be more accurate and tories may have more of a problem than labour.

No doubt someone will analyse the way mps voted against the way their constituency voted.

Update Daily nazi reporting seven labour mps , a lib dem and a snp voted no and repesent leave constituencies.

For some reason there is no list the other way but I would bet its more than 9 mps.-well theres theresa may,philip hammond ,jeremy corbyn ,kate hoey and harriet harman for a start.

Last edited:
I guess the metropolitan liberal part of the Labour coalition are suddenly finding themselves in the same position the working class Labour voters have been in for the last 40 years: with the party (mostly) saying 'where else can they go?'
That's a good point. It will be interesting to see a) whether Brexit is such an issue to them that they don't come out and vote despite the risk that the Tories in Copeland and UKIP in Stoke may pose and b) how many will stomach the Lib Dems despite Farrons clarion call to Remain, after their role in the coalition .
I suppose another issue is whether or not the Remainers can influence or negotiate Labours Brexit policy but even that I think is in doubt.

We're not going to be triggering Article 50 for the next 40 years, though. Fingers crossed.

That's a good point. It will be interesting to see a) whether Brexit is such an issue to them that they don't come out and vote despite the risk that the Tories in Copeland and UKIP in Stoke may pose and b) how many will stomach the Lib Dems despite Farrons clarion call to Remain, after their role in the coalition .
I suppose another issue is whether or not the Remainers can influence or negotiate Labours Brexit policy but even that I think is in doubt.
In regards (b) I think they'll be a significant number, perhaps not so much at the by elections but definitely at the local elections in May. I mean look at all the fucks defecting to the progressive choice in Richmond.

In regards (b) I think they'll be a significant number, perhaps not so much at the by elections but definitely at the local elections in May. I mean look at all the fucks defecting to the progressive choice in Richmond.

I take a similar view - but for a practical reason: under Farron it seems to me that the LD's have decided that they actually don't want to get into government again, the party atlarge and the majority of their MP's didn't like being in Government because it involves, even swerving past the student fees issue, all kinds of sordid compromises and choices, and actually being responsible for stuff that upsets people.

They like being in opposition, they like things not being their fault and never having to make choices they would prefer not to make, they are much happier carping from the opposition benches (50 MP's would be a nice figure...) as not having to offend either themselves or others by their actions.

People who support Labour on the other hand overwhelmingly do so because they want to achieve particular policies - whatever they may be. They accept broken eggs as the price of an omelette, the LD's on the other hand prefer the unbroken eggs...

Update Daily nazi reporting seven labour mps , a lib dem and a snp voted no and repesent leave constituencies.

For some reason there is no list the other way but I would bet its more than 9 mps.-well theres theresa may,philip hammond ,jeremy corbyn ,kate hoey and harriet harman for a start.
Haven't seen how people voted but there weren't any leave constituencies in Scotland so the bit in bold is wrong for a start.

Haven't seen how people voted but there weren't any leave constituencies in Scotland so the bit in bold is wrong for a start.

It looks like the mail has made a mess of it and the article no longer appears on the website.

Anyway my point was if you want to make an issue of mps who voted not to trigger article 50 and their constituency voted leave you need to publish the much larger group ,full of more famous politicians,who voted to trigger but their constituency voted remain.A quick tally suggests there are at least 55 tories in that list (inc the pm and chancellor)all risking a lib dem surge.Two lib dems(out of 9) ignored their whip -a larger rebellion than labour.

It all depends on whether you think an mp should represent their constituents or their party or follow their own principles (damn your principles said disraeli).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom