Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is there a reason for the riots?

btw, had a good meeting of the Tottenham defence campaign last night. We're going to blitz the broadwater farm estate this w/end but I'm not happy with the bust card we have.
So...can ANYONE please put up or PM me with a tiptop bust card, with bindman's etc's number on it?

Anything to do with the swp? And what do "blitz" and "bust card" mean?

I want to point out that the majority of 'grassroots' activism and development projects goes largely unreported. There is a reason why...people are not networking, skill/idea sharing enough.

Or perhaps, as certainly used to be the case with grassroots activism, you didn't really talk about it because it was perfectly normative behaviour?

Err and? You haven't said anything contrary to what I have already so I don't understand you saying 'no' at the beginning of your response. People are not reporting it because they don't know about it and/or don't think it's of value, if they did they would be networking/skill/info sharing more! :)

You're jumping to a conclusion based on your own preconception (otherwise there'd be more networking/info-sharing). While it's an easy conclusion to jump to, it also ignores other possibilities, like people do share skills and info, and network, but they don't do so on your radar; or they don't publicise it because hey, it's just what people do for each other.

As for value, why would people bother to do anything if they didn't believe their actions had value and were of value?

people are skill sharing fuck loads. so i disagreed with you. if something's going unreported, the reason for it is that it isn't being reported. :rolleyes: and the reason it isn't being reported is because journalists and their editors don't get turned on by that sort of thing. and participants aren't reporting it because you don't report everything you do in your life unless you're stanley edwards.

In which case you report loads of stuff you haven't done, too.

And you are right. Pickers is also a bit right... most of the activism that goes unreported does so because it isn't deemed interesting.

But unlike pickers you realise that the onus is on those who wish to be reported to make sure it is interesting enough.

That's where the skill sharing and networking comes in.

Make it interesting enough?

Satan save us from public fucking relations!!

You're jumping to a conclusion based on your own preconception (otherwise there'd be more networking/info-sharing). While it's an easy conclusion to jump to, it also ignores other possibilities, like people do share skills and info, and network, but they don't do so on your radar; or they don't publicise it because hey, it's just what people do for each other.

As for value, why would people bother to do anything if they didn't believe their actions had value and were of value?

You seem to be arguing cross purposes... rutita is clearly talking about improving communication between all type of actions and activism... you seem to be suggesting that it's not necessary.

You seem to be arguing cross purposes... rutita is clearly talking about improving communication between all type of actions and activism... you seem to be suggesting that it's not necessary.

Too much seeming.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't necessary, I'm suggesting that people may be comfortable with the status quo as regards their grassroots activism. Apart from anything else, it makes it harder for others to appropriate their good work for other purposes (the current big one being "The Big Society").

In other words it's about networking and presenting relating your work to others.

AKA public relations. :)

Under that definition everytime you meet someone and tell them what you are doing it counts as public relations.

That's stretching a definition to breaking point. :D

Under that definition everytime you meet someone and tell them what you are doing it counts as public relations.

That's stretching a definition to breaking point. :D

No, under that definition, which is specific (as made clear in my posts) to grassroots activism, it does nothing of the sort.

And what you're talking about is individual social relations.

You're trying too hard.

You should. That is now fast becoming normative behaviour.

And it's very much about constant reporting... to the extent where it can be mind-numbingly tedious. And yet people respond. Exactly the kind of people we're trying to reach.

And Twitter was just one example of how things may have changed since the days when activism was normative behaviour.

No, under that definition, which is specific (as made clear in my posts) to grassroots activism, it does nothing of the sort.

And what you're talking about is individual social relations.

You're trying too hard.

I'm not at all.

You said being interesting and working on interesting projects that people want to engage with was public relations. I think it's just common sense.

You should. That is now fast becoming normative behaviour.

And it's very much about constant reporting... toothed extent where it can be mind-numbingly tedious. And yet people respond. Exactly the kind of people we're trying to reach.

And Twitter was just one example of how things may have changed since the days when activism was.normative behaviour.

I can see Twitter's utility as a format for passing small pieces of data on quickly, and I do read twitter streams, I just don't participate because I find the format extremely limiting. Sometimes you can't condense stuff into 140 characters or less.

I'm not at all.

You said being interesting and working on interesting projects that people want to engage with was public relations. I think it's just common sense.

Don't tell me what I've said, when it isn't what I've said, but rather your interpretation.

My point is very obviously that in light of you having stated that "...the onus is on those who wish to be reported to make sure it is interesting enough", "making sure it is interesting enough" means that your activism has to be judged not only on effectiveness, but on how appealing it is, or how appealing you can make it.

In other words, it becomes about public relations.

Too much seeming.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't necessary, I'm suggesting that people may be comfortable with the status quo as regards their grassroots activism.

That's obvious. That's what makes better and more open communication so important. No good being comfortable with something that doesn't work.

That's obvious. That's what makes better and more open communication so important. No good being comfortable with something that doesn't work.
And if it does work, but is specific to a particular problem in a single area? Do we cast it aside because it isn't "interesting" enough in a networked world?

err yeah, sure you know what I look like, or my RL name.:D:rolleyes:
and I'm absolutely sure you're a legend in my area for that sorta thing....
you remind me of another poster...
danny(1).JPG

Whereas you remind me of...

robert_lindsay_woolfie_203x152.jpg

I know who to look for.... :D

And if it does work, but is specific to a particular problem in a single area? Do we cast it aside because it isn't "interesting" enough in a networked world?

Of course not. In fact... if something has a proven success record it's even more important to spread and share that method.

Whereas you remind me of...

robert_lindsay_woolfie_203x152.jpg

I know who to look for.... :D

And if you mix tooting and streatham you can get 'tootinham'.

Is that how you ended up working there? Got drunk and confused on the way home one night?

I think you may be lost.

Don't tell me what I've said, when it isn't what I've said, but rather your interpretation.

My point is very obviously that in light of you having stated that "...the onus is on those who wish to be reported to make sure it is interesting enough", "making sure it is interesting enough" means that your activism has to be judged not only on effectiveness, but on how appealing it is, or how appealing you can make it.

In other words, it becomes about public relations.

I disagree with the use of the term... but it doesn't matter. Call it PR if it makes you happy.

Effective is interesting in itself.

Anything to do with the swp? And what do "blitz" and "bust card" mean?
nope, swappies are - mercifully - thin on the ground round that way(that way being broadwater, philip lane, bruce grove etc).
blitz means 3 hours of dropping a bust card and leaflet through every letterbox on broadwater, bust card = well, advice card if a kid gets busted by OB

The People's Assembly in Dalston, Next meeting:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Step-Forward-Network/274169189266888#!/event.php?eid=231225546924418

Minutes from the last meeting on the 21st of August:
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/08/minutes-from-east-london-peoples-assembly-22-8-11/

I have read these minutes and feel that more Hackney people need to be in on this. What are you doing Sunday?
sorry, tottenham job, will try to be at other 'Ackney stuff
e2a; should be done on broadwater by 4pm, will try to get up there by then

Tell me that when your tyres get nicked and the kid with them is waving your bust card and roaching your leaflet.

Back
Top Bottom