Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is there a reason for the riots?

do you MIND????:eek::mad: cheek!
I like it here, so does everyone who knows here, and it is emphatically NOT a "shithole" - simply extremely nondescript.

I like it too. But it IS a shithole. If a lovable one...

well yeah, but that really IS a statement from the Department Of The Bleedin' obvious!!!

I don't think it's really all that obvious. Because it's so fundamental. The task is to restore hope. The first challenge.

Obvious doesn't, sadly, mean easy...

I think they said 1/5 of the people involved were under 18. That means 4/5 weren't kids. This still didn't stop the news pontificating forth for ages about the "younger generation".

I say "kids" I mean youth - under 21, or under 25 if youre a shortarse

You tell me. Plenty of cop cars get burned up as a dare, its what kids do for kicks
really? Can't say I've seen many round here, and I suspect I'd have heard about if they had. Flicking v's at cops is one thing, actually firebombing the feckers is a taking things a step or two further

high standards of evidence

This is beginning to bug me. I keep hearing people spouting simplistic shit with absolute 100% confidence which implies they KNOW precisely why the riots took place despite not having listened to anything said by anyone who actually rioted. The last couple of days I've been going round the estate asking people for their take on the riots as a prep for going to the LMS meeting last night. I've had some very articulate explanations of "what my friend who was one of the people that burned down FootLocker says he did it for".

So, can I just ask a favour from Urbanites. If you HAVEN'T taken the time to find out what those involved in the riots have been saying, can you just bear in mind that your opinion may well be a complete crock of shit.

Which doesn't mean that there aren't rioters spouting complete bollocks too, but at least it gives some insight into what they think can be used as a reason or a justification, even if it's far from the whole truth.

I know it's a hella arrogant and mega-patronising thing to even think of suggesting it, but people don't always understand their own full range of motivations for their actions.

Not just rioters, but all of us.

I know it's a hella arrogant and mega-patronising thing to even think of suggesting it, but people don't always understand their own full range of motivations for their actions.

Not just rioters, but all of us.

True. However I still think it's a bit dodgy to attempt to analyse somebody's motivations without getting ANY evidence of what they think.

Back
Top Bottom