Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is there a reason for the riots?

Strategy and tactics are still necessary concomitants of any engagement, peaceful or violent. You need to forward-plan, because you can be damn sure that if you're engaging with the state, they will have.

You also (unlike the state, in my experience) need to realise that strategy needs to be fluid - things rarely go according to plan, and if you're locked into a strategic course, you're buggered. That's why the polce have made so many protest-related errors in the last few years, IMO: The Met's strategy is to deploy set-piece tactics that rely on a particular "model" or type of protester. Introduce wild cards and things go wrong for them.
very much so. look at j18: as demonstrators dispersed throughout the city the cops were at a loss in how to deal with it. the same sort of thing worked with the recent riots, where the perimeter expanded to such an extent the police were unable to do more than nip at the crowds who were out. unlike an army, however, the police may attempt to track down every 'enemy combatant' following such a confrontation.

I don't disagree, I will say however that they are the exact same things that build 'community' structures too!

Absolutely. It's a virtuous circle.

Yep, that whare the networking comes into it. Do favours and ask for favours, build up shared experiences/links, identify and unify under common needs. Be valuable and show others how they are valued.

To do all of that successfully we need to get people together.... in the same rooms, parks and halls. Large numbers of people from disparate backgrounds where a fertile ground can be created. The unifying under common needs bit. Yes there are current political issues that people can unite against or for... but there has to be continuity.

Strategy and tactics are still necessary concomitants of any engagement, peaceful or violent. You need to forward-plan, because you can be damn sure that if you're engaging with the state, they will have.

You also (unlike the state, in my experience) need to realise that strategy needs to be fluid - things rarely go according to plan, and if you're locked into a strategic course, you're buggered. That's why the polce have made so many protest-related errors in the last few years, IMO: The Met's strategy is to deploy set-piece tactics that rely on a particular "model" or type of protester. Introduce wild cards and things go wrong for them.

I agree... and I think that inflexibility is another good reason to bend our minds towards new incentives and ways of.doing things... so that we can keep coming up with wild cards the state isn't prepared for.

Good luck handing out flyers to people who mostly read Facebook and anti-arrest tactics in an area with a high petty crime rate.

Genius.
Oh what, you know more about Tottenham youth than everyone who lives there or has worked there?
yeah, that's genius.:facepalm:
Thank fuck there's enough people out there who don't have your negative, sneering contempt for the youth; with attitudes like yours, it's hardly surprising they give up on Society or its' rules

1) Hypocrisy.
2) Stupidity.
3) Defeatism.
4) Shirking responsibility.

Nice speech, but no one's fooled.

You made wild assumptions with virtually every line. And said absolutely nothing except whinged how it's not your mums fault.

Well it is... she brought her son up to have a potty mouth. You're good at insults... but then you'd have to be if you are shit at everything else, I suppose.

Defense mechanism.

*shrugs.
actually, Norman nailed you totally, which I can only assume is why you totally failed to engage with or rebut a single one of the serious points he made there. it's called 'debate', perhaps you should try it sometime

They were certainly the "fuse" of the riots, but what was the bomb, i.e. what was the "body" of problems that made EMA and cuts to youth projects the final straw? The government could promise to totally reinstate EMA, and to fully fund all youth projects, but there would still be the underlying problems, just waiting for a spark to ignite them. :(
Ok, now I'd like to stress I am talking SPECIFICALLY about totteringham here, but I can give you 3 very big, underlying reasons
1) police racism and racist harassment; it is no coincidence that both of Tottenham's major riots were triggered by the death of a black person during a police op that went wrong. relations between the police and Tottenham blacks are atrocvious, and the faut for this lies about 95% with OB. Their racism has got better, not worse in the time I can comment on
2) specific, ongoing police harassment of youth. it's this constant petty picking on people; by the gtime you get S&Sed for the 5th time in a week - and in the charmless, bullying way that tottenham OB have - you're gonna get mad. anyone would. now mutiply that by 52 weeks peryear, and by several thousand angry, rebellious kids
3) unemployment and poverty; we have ONE FIFTH of the U-25 as NEETS, and Tottenham is the most impoverished part of London, and one of the worst in the UK, full stop. hence loads of kids with nothing to do, and no hopes for the future.
The surprise is not that there are riots, but there haven't been more.

So why weren't there more, in your opinion?

And why weren't there riots in Leyton, Leytonstone or Edmonton? They have broadly similar demographics.

article here discussing Met tactics wrt public order situations,

http://trialbyalamo.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/public-order-policing-after-the-riots/

it's a bit long but the crux of the argument is here:

"...it was the ‘cat and mouse’, mobile and rapid movement of the recent disorder which threw traditional policing tactics into a mess. When trouble flared, the police attempted to quell disorder with their standard containment methods; however such reactions were predictable and clunky. Principles learned from the kettle-breaking and avoiding antics of the previous three years had a cumulative impact upon the mobilisation of many of the flash-rioters and looters. Rioters struck with lightning speed, and when confronted by a police presence, often evaporated into the æther only to re-emerge on another street, striking a new target."

"The police have been hoist by their own petard; after decades of making effective protests impossible via traditional means of assembly and marching, they have forced an innovation in ideas and strategies. The result is a many-headed hydra, a powerful and ungovernable tour de force. It is difficult to envisage what, exactly, they will be able to do to deal with it."

So why weren't there more, in your opinion?

And why weren't there riots in Leyton, Leytonstone or Edmonton? They have broadly similar demographics.
Edmonton DID see disturbances, itg's just they were out-screamed by their southern neighbours.
WF cops are nowhere near as bad as Tottenham OB, but more importantly there's only ONE estate in either locality, that's as big as the broadwater, or the Eyder/st anne's one. Also, WF youth services haven't been slashed to pieces - Tottenham's have

Everytime you say it your sperm count drops with disappointment.

:(
i don't know if your apparent stupidity is deliberate or innate, but either way it makes you look a twat. for example, you start going on about building up an army then have a pop at someone who raises some obvious points about choosing your ground. you are a thick fuck: it's just a fact. oh - and ignorant with it.

Edmonton DID see disturbances, itg's just they were out-screamed by their southern neighbours.
WF cops are nowhere near as bad as Tottenham OB, but more importantly there's only ONE estate in either locality, that's as big as the broadwater, or the Eyder/st anne's one. Also, WF youth services haven't been slashed to pieces - Tottenham's have

If it was that simple why was there also trouble in better funded boroughs like Enfield? Or even Brixton?

Does that mean you don't agree that many of the tottenham rioters were not from the area?

It's not that I disagree with you... but I think the reasons that you outlined provided a background for the rioting... but were not the reason as such.

It's not that I disagree with you... but I think the reasons that you outlined provided a background for the rioting... but were not the reason as such.
there is a rather large difference between 'reason', and 'underlying causal factors. thereis no single one thing to blame, but a whole host of factors.
to underscore this; enfield's youth undemployment has shot up over the past 2 years, and CONEL's budget's have been decimated.
and they've ALL suffered from what 30 years of neolib dogma have done to the public sector and trad w/c communities

i don't know if your apparent stupidity is deliberate or innate, but either way it makes you look a twat. for example, you start going on about building up an army then have a pop at someone who raises some obvious points about choosing your ground. you are a thick fuck: it's just a fact. oh - and ignorant with it.

The thing is... and I know it's not like this on urban... but in real life if you constantly call someone stupid who is clearly not stupid then it's you who ends up looking foolish.

On urban you are protected by a little delusional bubble of.mates. But it amounts to the same thing.

My comment about raising an army and your comment about choosing ground were unrelated. I was talking about in the future... you were trying to insinuate that the riots were a war.

You're not really fooling anyone.

You may have read a lot of books... but you are very ignorant of people.

If it was that simple why was there also trouble in better funded boroughs like Enfield? Or even Brixton?

Does that mean you don't agree that many of the tottenham rioters were not from the area?

'some of the tottenham rioters were not from the area'. you mean they had dared to come down from edmonton or up from hackney or over from wood green - none of those areas that far away?

The thing is... and I know it's not like this on urban... but in real life if you constantly call someone stupid who is clearly not stupid then it's you who ends up looking foolish.

On urban you are protected by a little delusional bubble of.mates. But it amounts to the same thing.

My comment about raising an army and your comment about choosing ground were unrelated. I was talking about in the future... you were trying to insinuate that the riots were a war.

kizmet

you are a thick fuck. i made explicit reference to battlefield - a riot is even to thick fucks like you similar to a battle in that there are two sides fighting. if you are in fact not stupid, you are doing a fucking good job of concealing it. as for my alleged ignorance of people, your ignorance appears to know no bounds.

there is a rather large difference between 'reason', and 'underlying causal factors. thereis no single one thing to blame, but a whole host of factors.
to underscore this; enfield's youth undemployment has shot up over the past 2 years, and CONEL's budget's have been decimated.
and they've ALL suffered from what 30 years of neolib dogma have done to the public sector and trad w/c communities

Agreed. But that doesn't fully explain why those locations and why at that time. Deprivation and inequality are obvious causal factors... but not in their own.

Nothing will fully explain it, that's the nature of riots. But there are signs of commonality.

High rates of poverty, unemployment and petty crime mixed with fractured communities and poor relationships with the local police. Particularly noticeable was that a lot of those areas had a particularly wide demographic... quite well to do areas up close to very poor ones.

In terms of timing I think the school holidays was the biggest single determining factor.

I think it's also interesting to look at areas that didn't riot and look at those commonalities that are missing.

For example... Leyton. It's a shithole. But didn't go off. Leyton doesn't have such a wide demographic... it's pretty uniformly poor. Also, while relations with the police are poor, the community structure is fairly strong with a fairly balanced mix of ethnicities.. each with their own structure.

Also Leyton has the Olympics coming with the prospect of investment.

So it also lacks commonality in that there is hope.

I think, if there is a single underlying reason for the riots, it's that - Loss of hope.

Ok, now I'd like to stress I am talking SPECIFICALLY about totteringham here, but I can give you 3 very big, underlying reasons
1) police racism and racist harassment; it is no coincidence that both of Tottenham's major riots were triggered by the death of a black person during a police op that went wrong. relations between the police and Tottenham blacks are atrocvious, and the faut for this lies about 95% with OB. Their racism has got better, not worse in the time I can comment on

Why are you assuming that Duggan's death was a "police op that went wrong"?

2) specific, ongoing police harassment of youth. it's this constant petty picking on people; by the gtime you get S&Sed for the 5th time in a week - and in the charmless, bullying way that tottenham OB have - you're gonna get mad. anyone would. now mutiply that by 52 weeks peryear, and by several thousand angry, rebellious kids
3) unemployment and poverty; we have ONE FIFTH of the U-25 as NEETS, and Tottenham is the most impoverished part of London, and one of the worst in the UK, full stop. hence loads of kids with nothing to do, and no hopes for the future.
The surprise is not that there are riots, but there haven't been more.

It's not really surprising. Many of the traditional routes to youth being able to know their rights and exercise them have been diminished over the last 20 years. Little recourse to legal advice, little recourse to youth projects where you might be able to get decent independent welfare advice rather than the shit that JC+ belches out. People get so worn down that it needs a lot to stoke the fires.
Plus, despite what the red-tops like to preach, a majority of people, even "hoodies", are law-abiding when it benefits them to be, even if they are gang members.

Riot communities and victims panel announced

tottenham2-450.jpg
31 August 2011
The membership of the Communities and Victims Panel that will be responsible for talking to communities affected by the riots in August, has been announced today.
Darra Singh, Chief Executive of Job Centre Plus and former Chief Executive of Ealing and Luton Councils, will chair the panel announced by the Deputy Prime Minister on 16 August. The other panel members will be Simon Marcus, Heather Rabbatts and Maeve Sherlock.
The panel will deliver early findings by November, and present a final report to by March 2012, to the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and the Leader of the Official Opposition.
The panel will be able to structure their work as they deem appropriate, but it will be a purely grassroots exercise to listen to the experiences of those in communities affected by the riots and disorder including residents, shopkeepers, parents and young people.
The panel will look at:
  • the motivation for a small minority of people to take part in riots;
  • why the riots happened in some areas and not others;
  • how key public services engaged with communities before, during and after the riots;
  • what motivated local people to come together to take civic action to resist riots in their area or to clean up after riots had taken place;
  • how communities can be made more socially and economically resilient in the future, in order to prevent future problems; and
  • what they think could have been done differently to prevent or manage the riots.

http://www.dpm.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/news/riot-communities-and-victims-panel-announced-0

a couple of things occurred to me this afternoon in relation to this exchange.

you say that your post about building up an army and mine about battlefields were unrelated. not so. at present there is only one group or organisation which takes part in riots as an armoured and militarised force, and that is of course the police. what happens in a riot situation is that you get people fighting on a field not necessarily of their choosing, taking on a hierarchical force whose tactics effectively date from the era of the roman empire but which are combined with 21st century communications and surveillance equipment. what is surprising in these circumstances is that unarmed people take them on with makeshift weapons. however, as they operate within a hierarchical framework the police cannot deal effectively with fast-moving situations in streets with which they are unfamiliar when they are not expecting it. the tottenham riot's a prime example of this, when the preparation they have for large demonstrations or that they had for subsequent nights' rioting weren't available. their control room, gt, was not in operation at least at the start of the riot. the rioters had seized the element of surprise and were operating, if not on their own turf, then certainly on ground with which they were familiar.

if you cast your mind back to the student protests of the end of last year, you will have seen police tactics remain quite static while the protestors' tactics changed significantly. in the course of a few short weeks they received a crash course in public order policing, drawing lessons from the police operations to the extent that by the final protest they had largely got the measure of what the police were up to and how to circumvent that. of course not everyone involved learnt at the same pace, and there were a lot of people who don't appear to have reached the same conclusions - or in some cases, any conclusions at all. nonetheless as a group the protestors were much more capable of running the police ragged as time went on.

the trajectory which evolved over the course of the student protests and could be seen over the three days of the recent riots will not lead to the development of an army, now or in the future. individuals and groups will learn various things about what works and what doesn't when confronting the police, and in the aftermath of any riot. as so many people have found out, the police is not an army which following the battle, the riot, simply holds an after action review and incorporates lessons learned into their training and preparation for next time. they also use their considerable resources to track down people who have given them a bloody nose, which is an awful lot of people this time round.organisationally, the creation of an army such as you propose involves a great deal of hard work. it also involves a number of illegal actions, for example drilling. but from the outset it involves conspiracy, which is one reason why you might want to reconsider your proposal. anyone who became involved in an army along the lines you suggest would from the venture's outset be leaving themselves open to a lengthy prison sentence possibly for conspiracy to treason or other equally nasty charges.

even so, there is a lot for people interested in the history, theory and practice of rioting to learn from the military, even if they never intend to put such lessons into practice. obviously there are the riot control methods of various armed forces, which mirror those of the police and which contain more extreme riot control methods than the police, at least in the island of great britain, would be allowed to use. see, for example, the us army fm 3-19.15 www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-19-15.pdf (5.4MB pdf). however, affinity groups and friendship networks could learn a considerable amount from small unit tactics. but there seems to me to be a fundamental reconsideration of the relationship of rioters to the police needed. the main thing is, are the police the object of the riot. that is, are they the target? while for some people they will be, for other people they have been an obstacle to get over or get around. if an army is to evolve, it will, in my opinion, be an army of small units with no central command, no central communications, no real shared ethos but shared methods of doing things, shared tactics and perhaps shared targets. this will not come about because i notice a similarity between small groups of organised looters or rioters and eg the sas. it will come about because rioting is a social activity and people like to do social activities with their mates. it will come about because working in small units is what people can do with the people they know. your idea of an army won't happen because you seem rather ignorant of what a public order situation's like. mine's more likely as it depends on what people are like, as people mull over what they did and how it can be done better.

oh - and let's not forget my post was prompted by your effort about armies. the two contributions were linked from the outset.

For example... Leyton. It's a shithole. But didn't go off. Leyton doesn't have such a wide demographic... it's pretty uniformly poor. Also, while relations with the police are poor, the community structure is fairly strong with a fairly balanced mix of ethnicities.. each with their own structure.
do you MIND????:eek::mad: cheek!
I like it here, so does everyone who knows here, and it is emphatically NOT a "shithole" - simply extremely nondescript.

High rates of poverty, unemployment and petty crime mixed with fractured communities and poor relationships with the local police. Particularly noticeable was that a lot of those areas had a particularly wide demographic... quite well to do areas up close to very poor ones.
I think, if there is a single underlying reason for the riots, it's that - Loss of hope
well yeah, but that really IS a statement from the Department Of The Bleedin' obvious!!!

a couple of things occurred to me this afternoon in relation to this exchange.

you say that your post about building up an army and mine about battlefields were unrelated. not so. at present there is only one group or organisation which takes part in riots as an armoured and militarised force, and that is of course the police. what happens in a riot situation is that you get people fighting on a field not necessarily of their choosing, taking on a hierarchical force whose tactics effectively date from the era of the roman empire but which are combined with 21st century communications and surveillance equipment. what is surprising in these circumstances is that unarmed people take them on with makeshift weapons. however, as they operate within a hierarchical framework the police cannot deal effectively with fast-moving situations in streets with which they are unfamiliar when they are not expecting it. the tottenham riot's a prime example of this, when the preparation they have for large demonstrations or that they had for subsequent nights' rioting weren't available. their control room, gt, was not in operation at least at the start of the riot. the rioters had seized the element of surprise and were operating, if not on their own turf, then certainly on ground with which they were familiar.

if you cast your mind back to the student protests of the end of last year, you will have seen police tactics remain quite static while the protestors' tactics changed significantly. in the course of a few short weeks they received a crash course in public order policing, drawing lessons from the police operations to the extent that by the final protest they had largely got the measure of what the police were up to and how to circumvent that. of course not everyone involved learnt at the same pace, and there were a lot of people who don't appear to have reached the same conclusions - or in some cases, any conclusions at all. nonetheless as a group the protestors were much more capable of running the police ragged as time went on.

the trajectory which evolved over the course of the student protests and could be seen over the three days of the recent riots will not lead to the development of an army, now or in the future. individuals and groups will learn various things about what works and what doesn't when confronting the police, and in the aftermath of any riot. as so many people have found out, the police is not an army which following the battle, the riot, simply holds an after action review and incorporates lessons learned into their training and preparation for next time. they also use their considerable resources to track down people who have given them a bloody nose, which is an awful lot of people this time round.organisationally, the creation of an army such as you propose involves a great deal of hard work. it also involves a number of illegal actions, for example drilling. but from the outset it involves conspiracy, which is one reason why you might want to reconsider your proposal. anyone who became involved in an army along the lines you suggest would from the venture's outset be leaving themselves open to a lengthy prison sentence possibly for conspiracy to treason or other equally nasty charges.

even so, there is a lot for people interested in the history, theory and practice of rioting to learn from the military, even if they never intend to put such lessons into practice. obviously there are the riot control methods of various armed forces, which mirror those of the police and which contain more extreme riot control methods than the police, at least in the island of great britain, would be allowed to use. see, for example, the us army fm 3-19.15 www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-19-15.pdf (5.4MB pdf). however, affinity groups and friendship networks could learn a considerable amount from small unit tactics. but there seems to me to be a fundamental reconsideration of the relationship of rioters to the police needed. the main thing is, are the police the object of the riot. that is, are they the target? while for some people they will be, for other people they have been an obstacle to get over or get around. if an army is to evolve, it will, in my opinion, be an army of small units with no central command, no central communications, no real shared ethos but shared methods of doing things, shared tactics and perhaps shared targets. this will not come about because i notice a similarity between small groups of organised looters or rioters and eg the sas. it will come about because rioting is a social activity and people like to do social activities with their mates. it will come about because working in small units is what people can do with the people they know. your idea of an army won't happen because you seem rather ignorant of what a public order situation's like. mine's more likely as it depends on what people are like, as people mull over what they did and how it can be done better.

oh - and let's not forget my post was prompted by your effort about armies. the two contributions were linked from the outset.

That really is an excellent post.

But I think you have misunderstood what I meant by "army".

"if an army is to evolve, it will, in my opinion, be an army of small units with no central command, no central communications, no real shared ethos but shared methods of doing things, shared tactics and perhaps shared targets."

This is the kind of thinking I have been talking about. Not at the Al Qaeda terrorist cell level. But at a local community level... where there can be sharing of methods and sharing of targets amongst these units.

Much of what I have been saying has been directed at what we can do do promote or assist this evolution. How to create a fertile breeding ground for localized action.

The actual content of the action is much less important in the context of widespread local action. Which is why it's important not to look at the specific differences in people's methods... but try to identify common objectives and targets that can be a constant and continuous source of unity. And ways to promote that unity.

Back
Top Bottom