Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

It's to do with this I think. It's this guy his tweet is replying to.

The other day I got a little way into the very bizarre interview with Jordan Peterson and they were going on about declining birth rates and making some comments that sounded like "great replacement theory" stuff.

Another measured tweet from twat

View attachment 435471

The backround to this nonsense is actually even more convolutedly stupid

Elon Musk calls Kamala Harris an 'extinctionist' - The Hill

His daughter's take on Threads

vivllainous: ''Don't do drugs, kids''

The backround to this nonsense is actually even more convolutedly stupid

Elon Musk calls Kamala Harris an 'extinctionist' - The Hill

His daughter's take on Threads

vivllainous: ''Don't do drugs, kids''''Don't do drugs, kids''

Harris: "I hear some young people are anxious about the prospect of bringing children into a world in which civilisation-altering climate change is occurring"

Trump Jr, Vance and Musk: "Harris is an extinctionist[sic]!!!111!!!!1!"

What a bunch of fucking clowns. Misrepresenting Harris is not going to make children and young peoples' widespread anxiety about climate change go away. Such antics might have appeal for their personal harems of far-right dittoheads, yes-men and ball-warmers, but for people who live outside those realms of electronic sycophancy, those words will ring hollow before all the droughts, floods, wildfires, storms and other extreme weather events increasing in strength and frequency.

musk, peterson, they could easily be seen as a few bores in a pub somewhere that everyone avoids because of their jibber jabber. that could easily be the right context for them. i wish there was a way somehow of keeping these platforms but somehow deflate the giant monumental air ballon of Absoloute Bollocks that is out there. it feels so disproportionate.

musk, peterson, they could easily be seen as a few bores in a pub somewhere that everyone avoids because of their jibber jabber. that could easily be the right context for them. i wish there was a way somehow of keeping these platforms but somehow deflate the giant monumental air ballon of Absoloute Bollocks that is out there. it feels so disproportionate.

The zone is being deliberately flooded with shit, IMO. Wealthy malcontents have become distressingly adept at weaponising that segment of society which tends towards incuriousness and reactionary politics.

The Nerd Reich

I've been listening to Paris Marx interviewing Gil Duran about the rise of techno-authoritarianism, with the acquisition of property to gain control of districts, bribery of police, dissemination of propaganda*, and 'pushing out the blues' to establish islands of sovereign territory (on land, instead of the old idea of seasteading) for a (Srinivasanian style) network state. Not solving problems politically but pushing them out of district. He says it's already starting to happen in San Francisco. Elsewhere, the locals are fighting back against the California Forever project in Solano County, where the tech bros bought up 60,000 acres to build a tech city. It's so chilling and conspiro it's hard to separate fact from tech bro delusions.

Not that there's anything new about the uber rich controlling the levers of power.

snippage
My first interest in this started with Elon Musk going nuts during the pandemic, deciding to keep his factory open against the rules of California at the time. And what amazed me the most about that was that the Governor and the State, which had been closing down restaurants and all these other businesses for trying to flout the laws, sat there and allowed Elon to do as he pleased, and that was shocking to me. I was very critical of it at the time. And just the idea that Elon knew he could get away with it. And he did.

And on top of that, I think the biggest story I ever wrote was an editorial for the Sacramento Bee when during this time, Musk said he would donate 1200 ventilators to the state because there was the time when there was a big ventilator shortage. And well, I check in a while later and it turns out he didn’t do that at all. After the Governor had gone on his daily appearance and thanked Elon profusely for this he sent a few CPAP machines with Tesla stickers on them and called that service. And this caused a big uproar because Elon was insisting that he had done it, even though the state of California was like: We have no receipt of these things.

So it seemed like during the pandemic, a lot of these folks felt the crush of being in a collective situation where we all have to work together to not increase the death toll, and saw threats to their businesses because it was really unclear what was going to happen with the economy. And suddenly you’re just not on some libertarian island where you can do what you want. We’re all connected. And I think some of them, like Elon, broke the rules and so they could actually do that. No one’s going to stop them. And after that, during this time is when, I guess, Balaji’s writing his book. And so that really marked the beginning of Musk’s public shift to the right and the far-right.

There's a transcript button if you'd rather read than listen. Watch out for the odd typo, eg 'biology' for Balaji.

*He said on Xitter: "Elon's little fake AI disinformation Kamala video was a just a taste of what's going to happen on this hellsite [sc. Xitter] in 2024."

Bit of Googling says this extinctionist thing is quite a long standing Musk fixation and why he bought Twitter. Apparently the "woke mind virus" is "extinctionist" as can be seen by, err, homelessness in San Francisco (somehow) and this is why he bought Twitter. Uhm, OK.
He didn't want to buy twitter. He bought it after being taken to court.

He didn't want to buy twitter. He bought it after being taken to court.

I laughed my arse off when that happened. Twitter had already seen its most successful days by that point, and changing attitudes and trends meant it was already on its way out. The idiot bought a proper lemon.

Back
Top Bottom