Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

I wish we could do qualitive research on someone like musk: whether he’s a net good or bad for mankind. Everything seems or is so damn complex.

Just an easy answer: assign to dustbin of history, or actually we’ve all benefited from the man’s existence.

Anyone want to have a go?

Heard a great rant from zadie smith today or radio 4 about social media. She’s binned it all off, and thinks more and more youngsters will do the same.

I’ve always thoughh that producers of culture, art, something of grand importance etc, the person would do well to have mystique and almost silence. Dylan would give about 3 interviews every ten years. It somehow adds to the work, the legacy, imo.

Musk:

Heard a great rant from zadie smith today or radio 4 about social media. She’s binned it all off, and thinks more and more youngsters will do the same.

You might enjoy this piece, people who were born into the age of social media are now growing up:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/29/us/social-media-children-influencers-cec/index.html

Reddit is the last of the big corporate social media I use. It's probably just a matter of time before the enshittification for that place reaches its advanced stages,

You might enjoy this piece, people who were born into the age of social media are now growing up:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/29/us/social-media-children-influencers-cec/index.html

Reddit is the last of the big corporate social media I use. It's probably just a matter of time before the enshittification for that place reaches its advanced stages,
One leap forward I think is not allowing under 18s, maybe even under 21s. I cannot for the life of me think what good being on it all the time, having that constant nag to check, is of any value to your average say 15 yo. But then maybe they would say otherwise. Maybe tick tok is as fun as anything I did at that age. maybe I’m just old. (But also I don’t like the Luddite/old man shouting at clouds counter arguments you get thrown back at you when discussing these things.)

I just usually check the main reddit page and often don't bother with the threaded stuff unless they look promising or for confirmation whether the first post is correct.

It's set to most upvoted post first so I again usually don't go far beyond that. I rarely post because by the time I get to see them there are hundreds of posts so there's no benefit. I do also look at the 'new' tab but haven't yet really seen anything there interesting.

One leap forward I think is not allowing under 18s, maybe even under 21s. I cannot for the life of me think what good being on it all the time, having that constant nag to check, is of any value to your average say 15 yo. But then maybe they would say otherwise. Maybe tick tok is as fun as anything I did at that age. maybe I’m just old. (But also I don’t like the Luddite/old man shouting at clouds counter arguments you get thrown back at you when discussing these things.)

When I was 15 it was forums where I spent my time online. No algorithms to send me down rabbit holes, no smartphones to keep me hooked even when away from the desk. That's not to say that web forums don't have their own issues, but the monomaniacal corporate obsession with "engagement" wasn't there, and I get the impression that using forums was nowhere near as pervasive as the usage of social media is now. In a lot of cases I would actually argue that forums were better moderated than social media is these days. It seems like Facebook and Instagram have basically given up, relying on algorithms to do the job that human volunteers once did on forums. According to someone I spoke to on Reddit (so take it with the appropriate grain of salt), Facebook moderators don't get to see the context for posts that get reported to them. Which might go some way to explaining why so many people get penalised for telling Nazis and nonces to fuck off.

Didn't she end up on the sharp end for saying something or other... More than once iirc.... Can't remember the details

Back
Top Bottom