Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Got to thinking today about the Big Brother series (enjoyed the first few series) and that show kinda reminds me of what social media is (I don’t necessarily mean in the “panopticon” sense) You go “online” and there’s a sort of performance there, not to cameras but to others, “followers” become the cameras. If you have a good day you get liked and retweeted or whatever. In the big brother house you get cheered or boos as you leave. It’s a similar mix of performance/reward/punishment. It’s a manufactured realm, in which we play out a version of ourself that the medium itself manipulates. All well and good, and has some value. It’s fun. Form of play, or something. But folk should always ask what is left? Going for a days hike with a mate, doing the washing up in silence, laying in bed with no podcast on, just your thoughts. The non monitored and monitised subject lol. In what realms is the subject (largely) without interference?

Got to thinking today about the Big Brother series (enjoyed the first few series) and that show kinda reminds me of what social media is (I don’t necessarily mean in the “panopticon” sense) You go “online” and there’s a sort of performance there, not to cameras but to others, “followers” become the cameras. If you have a good day you get liked and retweeted or whatever. In the big brother house you get cheered or boos as you leave. It’s a similar mix of performance/reward/punishment. It’s a manufactured realm, in which we play out a version of ourself that the medium itself manipulates. All well and good, and has some value. It’s fun. Form of play, or something. But folk should always ask what is left? Going for a days hike with a mate, doing the washing up in silence, laying in bed with no podcast on, just your thoughts. The non monitored and monitised subject lol. In what realms is the subject (largely) without interference?
Doesn't social media in some way replace the recognition and 'fame' that nearly all humans would have had when living in smallish communities?

Doesn't social media in some way replace the recognition and 'fame' that nearly all humans would have had when living in smallish communities?

In a roundabout way I would say that yes, on some level social media is a knowing or unknowing attempt to emulate the "ancestral village". But that's complicated by various factors such as the sheer size of the notional "village", the confounding effects of anonymity/pseudonymity, and the presence of the profit motive twisting things away from healthy interactions towards dysfunctional "engagement".

Apologies for source, but linking to a write-up from a shitty website feels better than just posting xtwitterx posts or similar - anyway, here's how Dwyer's beloved unregulated free market of ideas is going:

Apologies for source, but linking to a write-up from a shitty website feels better than just posting xtwitterx posts or similar - anyway, here's how Dwyer's beloved unregulated free market of ideas is going:

I'm not clicking on that, can you summarize please?

I'm not clicking on that, can you summarize please?
Oh, tres droll. Palestine Action, the direct action campaign targeting the Israeli arms industry, has set up a US branch, and it appears that your fearless unregulated marketplace of ideas is suppressing their account by preventing people from following them:
pal-ac-us-remove.png

pal-ac-us-remove2.png

pal-ac-us-no-followers.png

There you go. Now do you want to have a go at explaining to me how this is actually good and proves that your boy Musk is standing up to the FBI and the Deep State because the FBI really loves it when people take action against Israeli arms companies?
ETA: and in video form:

"Hi this is the Twitter ad sales department, would you like to buy advertising aimed solely at people who demonstrably can't or won't spend larger sums easily? For a bonus, we've also locked out the lower end of the market so advertising mass-aimed super cheap stuff is out too. Hello?"

It's still free if you signed up prior I think. Tbh I'd be interested to know how many actual new accounts Twitter's even getting at this stage - they'd already reached something of a saturation point before Mush got involved. Sadly the relationship between reality and twiX stats is iffy at best.

Last edited:
Judging by the amount of Twitter embeds still infecting this site, many on here will probably start funding Musk directly. It's terribly inconvenient not being on Twitter don't you know?
Not really with the Nitter add-on. I've never joined Twitter and don't find that inconvenient at all.

Oh, tres droll. Palestine Action, the direct action campaign targeting the Israeli arms industry, has set up a US branch, and it appears that your fearless unregulated marketplace of ideas is suppressing their account by preventing people from following them:
pal-ac-us-remove.png

pal-ac-us-remove2.png

pal-ac-us-no-followers.png

There you go. Now do you want to have a go at explaining to me how this is actually good and proves that your boy Musk is standing up to the FBI and the Deep State because the FBI really loves it when people take action against Israeli arms companies?
ETA: and in video form:

That looks bad alright. But before Musk took over, Twitter was basically run by the FBI. So I reckon he's still a big improvement.

George Soros and anti-maskers are definitely real.
It means George Soro is somehow involved in a world government.
Anti-maskers promote not wearing masks when there is a lot of evidence that wearing masks reduces the spread of viruses.
I would have thought someone of your intellectual stature would have understood this from context.

But happy to help :p

It means George Soro is somehow involved in a world government.
Anti-maskers promote not wearing masks when there is a lot of evidence that wearing masks reduces the spread of viruses.
I would have thought someone of your intellectual stature would have understood this from context.

But happy to help :p

Well, you're wrong on at least two of those points, but let's not get bogged down. :p

Well, you're wrong on at least two of those points, but let's not get bogged down. :p
Oh let's, which two points are they? I mean, I don't want to be wrong in the future if I can help it. I admit I may be wrong about Soros, but the CT is so stupid I don't care.

He seems to be gunning for Wikipedia lately.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, as Musk knows. The far right has made many attempts to edit entries to their satisfaction. with some success. More recent attempts involve entries on Lebanon, Palestine, and Ukraine--pretty much as you expect. The long-term Wikipedia editors tend to wall that stuff off sooner or later, or lock down entries when they become too political.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, as Musk knows. The far right has made many attempts to edit entries to their satisfaction. with some success. More recent attempts involve entries on Lebanon, Palestine, and Ukraine--pretty much as you expect. The long-term Wikipedia editors tend to wall that stuff off sooner or later, or lock down entries when they become too political.

Back
Top Bottom